Delorme PN-20 vs. PN-40

oshf

My great :ph34r: day of geocaching ended with my gps getting lost, which made it less of a great day :ph34r: . I had a PN-20, which I've loved since the day I got it (which was before the PN-40 came out). My plan is to replace it but I'm wondering from folks who know both. Is the PN-40 worth the additional cost? It is a pain that the PN-20 doesn't refresh all that quickly but it hasn't been a problem. I don't use it for driving, so it's not that kind of an issue. I haven't had any problems with picking up (and keeping) a satellite.

What benefits are there with the PN-40? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Barbara

Thank you. That chart was just what I was looking for. The PN-30 looks pretty nice, too. That and the PN-40 are both much more powerful than the PN-20. Also, a lot more expensive. I guess there will be more time for thinking tomorrow.

Thanks again.

When a '40 lock into satellites, it gets better reception. Also it has LOTS of added features for geocaching. Same with the '30. And main developement i focoed on thoe two so that means you get firmware upgrades. I think the '30 probably has the longest battery life, with the '40 just a few seconds behind, and the '20 desqualified form the competition. THta's because of the sensors. Ooh and ue eigher a spooly thing (see 'my spooly thing broke' in the PN-30/40 section of the Delorme forum)or a lanyard to prevent loss.

Veebee,

I don't know what kind of SD card you are using in you PN-20, but I recently replaced an older SD with a new "class 4" speed 4GB card from Newegg.com and it's like a whole new machine as far as redraws go. Sped mine up be 2/3's, best I can tell. I liked my PN-20. Now I really like it.

On the other hand, a friend at work just bought a new -40 and that thing is smokin' with the redraws and reception.

This first pic is that -40 inside the industrial plant I work in. I was walking around inside and checking reception/tracks. (hope this pic link thing works)

ReceptioninPlant.jpg

This second pic is outside. It shows the -40 right after I set a WP and then routed back. Notice the (fuzzy) 0.31 ft. to end. That is the exact spot where I originally set the WP a few minutes earlier. Not too shabby.

Zeroposts.jpg

The best reception my -20 gets in that same building is 21'.

Edited by Woodstramp

Faster + more features = better

Cheaper = different kind of better

So it will be your subjective call. I owned a PN-20 and got a PN-40; personally I feel the PN-40 is well worth the extra money. The faster redraws really allow one to take advantage of the $30 imagery download subscription.

I've had devices besides the PNs that had and did not have the electronic compass. I really appreciate the electronic compass for geocaching...but I found that I didn't miss it all that much when I was faced with paying $50 more for a Magellan Explorist that was otherwise equivalent (i.e., I decided it was worth an extra $20 but not an extra $50. A cost difference in the middle of that range would have caused some agonizing.)

Also, the PN-40 gives you 15000 character comments for the caches; the PN-20 is limited to what...2,000 or 3,000? (Can't remember)

I had a PN-20, and sold it to buy my PN-40. TOTALLY worth it! I liked the PN-20 enough that I sold it before the PN-40 was available, but after reading about it, I took the chance and ordered one of the earlier ones (it was a Christmas present to myself), and I've been EXTREMELY happy with it. The faster redraw speeds makes the imagery much more useful, and the reception and accuracy is great, can't go wrong with a PN-40. Paperless caching + aerial imagery + great reception = serious tool.

Decision made. Once I saw the comparison sheet, I decided to upgrade to a PN-30 or 40 . When I did a search of where I could get it for the least amount of money, I chose the PN-40 because the $100 rebate from REI made it only a little bit more expensive than the PN-30. The rebate period ends on 25 July, which works out very nicely.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I'm sure it's the right decision.

Decision made. Once I saw the comparison sheet, I decided to upgrade to a PN-30 or 40 . When I did a search of where I could get it for the least amount of money, I chose the PN-40 because the $100 rebate from REI made it only a little bit more expensive than the PN-30. The rebate period ends on 25 July, which works out very nicely.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I'm sure it's the right decision.

To take advantage of its paperless geocaching capabilities, I suggest that you upgrade to a Premium Membership.

Also, check out those links at the bottom of Post #8, above.