2 caches at the same coordinates?

I found 2 caches today at the exact same location. I haven't logged them yet so don't bother checking my profile to see which ones. I am just curious how this happened. 1 is a virtual and the other a traditional. Was there a time long ago when the 528 foot rule didn't apply?

No change...

Current guidelines state:

The cache saturation guideline applies to all physical stages of multi-caches and mystery/puzzle caches, as well as any other stages entered as "stages of a multi-cache." The guideline does not apply to event caches, EarthCaches, grandfathered virtual and webcam caches, stages of multi-caches or puzzle caches entered as "question to answer" or "reference point," or to any "bogus" posted coordinates for a puzzle cache. Within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints.

The idea behind the "528 rule" is to avoid any potential for confusion as to which cache you've found, and also so that you don't find one by accident whilst searching for another.

In this instance, since one is a virtual and one is a 'real cache', there shouldn't be any such confision!

Best wishes,

Mike

Right now the "528 rule" doesn't apply to virtual caches. Ie, you can place a traditional cache at the same coordinates as an existing virtual.

I think you should have placed an EarthCache there to confuse people even more! :ph34r:

And you can also use that point as the false coords for a puzzle/mystery cache!

Piling on, you could also have a virtual stage of one or more multicaches at these coordinates, so long as there is a sign or other existing object to provide a clue. Make it the first stage so that the icons will stack.

Next, hide a letterbox hybrid that relies on a 600 foot offset from these coordinates, stacking another icon. Have a Wherigo cartridge where the guided tour begins here in the icon stack, but then leads finders a half mile away to the cache container.

When you're finished stacking icons, hold an event cache there to celebrate your accomplishments.

Right now the "528 rule" doesn't apply to virtual caches. Ie, you can place a traditional cache at the same coordinates as an existing virtual.

I think you should have placed an EarthCache there to confuse people even more! :ph34r:

Piling on, you could also have a virtual stage of one or more multicaches at these coordinates, so long as there is a sign or other existing object to provide a clue. Make it the first stage so that the icons will stack.

Next, hide a letterbox hybrid that relies on a 600 foot offset from these coordinates, stacking another icon. Have a Wherigo cartridge where the guided tour begins here in the icon stack, but then leads finders a half mile away to the cache container.

When you're finished stacking icons, hold an event cache there to celebrate your accomplishments.

Oh, Keystone, you are a true Mastermind!!!

Perhaps an event at a very nearby park for the locals to pat each other on the back, then a Mega Event there for the celebration of us non-locals for the cleverness exhibited by the locals, followed the next day, provided we wait until the Spring, with a CITO Event to clean up all the trash?

And a waymark and Wherigo, all on top of a benchmark, by a webcam, and locationless.

I've had fun trying to pile caches on top of each other before, put an earthcache and a traditional on top of a virtual, then have a multi start there with a virtual first stage, and a mystery... could do a Wherigo too I guess..

But a simpler way I've seen it happen was a cacher had their puzzle cache final location destroyed, so they moved the cache to another nearby location and changed the puzzle... the problem was I had a cache in the EXACT same spot, also a puzzle... she had not solved it I guess, and didn't look in the bush for caches before she dropped hers in... so there are two, regular sized caches in the same bush, literally touching each other.

I know that you're mostly writing in jest but there is a local event being planned for 09-09-09 and there person coordinating it has asked a few local cachers to hide some caches for the event so that nine different cache "types" will be made available to be found on that day. I'm doing the multi. For the cache types they've split up the traditional into sizes so there will be one cache of the following:

Traditional: Nano

Traditional: Micro

Traditional: Small

Traditional: Regular

Multi

Letterbox Hybrid

Earthcache

Puzzle

Event

Anyone else planning or attending an event for 09-09-09

There is a puzzle cache about 30 miles from me that I have been meaning to visit for awhile. It's one of those "translate the words on a sign" to coordinates puzzles. Since I wanted to find some other caches in the area rather than sit in my car and try and decode the puzzle I just took a picture of the sign then worked on it when I got home. When I solved the puzzle it revealed the phrase.... "The Cache is Here".

I know that you're mostly writing in jest but there is a local event being planned for 09-09-09 and there person coordinating it has asked a few local cachers to hide some caches for the event so that nine different cache "types" will be made available to be found on that day. I'm doing the multi. For the cache types they've split up the traditional into sizes so there will be one cache of the following:

Traditional: Nano

Traditional: Micro

Traditional: Small

Traditional: Regular

Multi

Letterbox Hybrid

Earthcache

Puzzle

Event

Anyone else planning or attending an event for 09-09-09

Sounds like a lot of fun, too bad that's only 8 cache types :X /teasing of course. Why not add a Wherigo to the list?

There is a puzzle cache about 30 miles from me that I have been meaning to visit for awhile. It's one of those "translate the words on a sign" to coordinates puzzles. Since I wanted to find some other caches in the area rather than sit in my car and try and decode the puzzle I just took a picture of the sign then worked on it when I got home. When I solved the puzzle it revealed the phrase.... "The Cache is Here".

now that's funny! :ph34r: did you go back and get it?

Don't you just hate it when that happens? :-D