Aquacaches

I'm looking for cheap lightweight containers that could be sunk underwater for their lives. This is freshwater we're talking about, but it would be nice if I could put them in the ocean as well. Bison tubes? Cryo tubes? Tupperware? Decons? I know about Otterboxes but just can't see myself paying $10 for a cache. I plan to hide several...

Back in my scouting days we had waterproof match containers that were about the size of bison tubes. Not sure how they would stand up to being submerged for extended periods of time but might be worth looking into. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how you would keep it submerged without putting something inside to weigh it down but then that wouldn't leave room for a log.

Back in my scouting days we had waterproof match containers that were about the size of bison tubes. Not sure how they would stand up to being submerged for extended periods of time but might be worth looking into. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how you would keep it submerged without putting something inside to weigh it down but then that wouldn't leave room for a log.

Tie it to an anchor.

Anything that will withhold being submerged constantly - or at depth for any length of time is going to be expensive. Otter boxes, Pelican case, or anything else I can think of is not cheap

Bison tubes? Probably not. Cryo tubes? Definitely not.

I have seen (new) matchsafes used as cache containers. However, you have to cover the O-ring in a generous layer of grease before submerging, or the rubber will start to oxidize and fall apart, and the cache will leak. Other options which work well are soda bottle preforms, and ammo boxes.

I know about Otterboxes but just can't see myself paying $10 for a cache. I plan to hide several...

If you're not willing to spend $10 for a good cache container, then maybe you should reconsider hiding several? I've only found one hidden in water. Can't remember what it was. Cylindrical. Might have been a waterproof match container, wieghted with nuts. It seems to have lasted well. Only cache I ever found with a barnacle on it!

I have seen (new) matchsafes used as cache containers. However, you have to cover the O-ring in a generous layer of grease before submerging, or the rubber will start to oxidize and fall apart, and the cache will leak. Other options which work well are soda bottle preforms, and ammo boxes.

Ammo boxes? :ph34r: C'mon those will rust...won't they? Plus, they're a bit hard to carry on backpack trips. But soda bottle preforms are PERFECT. Lightweight, but can I submerge them?

Edited by GeoBigDawg

Ammo boxes? :ph34r: C'mon those will rust...won't they? Plus, they're a bit hard to carry on backpack trips. But soda bottle preforms are PERFECT. Lightweight, but can I submerge them?

Soda bottle preforms will work. So will a soda bottle for that matter.

In fact, if you have a plastic jelly jar, you could use that.

The only problem is the seal will eventually begin to fail but it should work for a long time. It will work even longer if you get the cachers to place it back with the lid down. Sounds counterintuitive but it's physics at work. Air seeks the surfaceof water and if the lid is up then the air can find the surface easier. When air escapes, it will be replaced with water.

Ammo boxes rust - eventually, but you can probably get quite a few years out of them. I recall one cache that was partially, or completely submerged several months out of the year and it was in an ammo box. After 5 years it was pretty rusty on the outside, but bone dry inside. It was another year before it failed and had to be replaced. That's darn good for any cache container.

Hard to carry on backpacking trips? Not really if you have a good sized pack. I fit one in my overnight pack quite easily.

Truth be told, there is no container that will do what you want and be maintenance free. Seals deteriorate,

cachers don't close them properly, contents or plastic bags get caught in the seal and compromise it.

An underwater cache WILL get wet. It's simply a matter of whether it will be in a few days, or a few months or a little longer.

So unless you are placing it somewhere that you can reach it easily to maintain it, you should probably consider doing something else.

Edited by briansnat

I found an ammo can that, while not underwater all of the time, was in the water a larger part of the time. The ammo can lasted five years, until it floated away. The replacement ammo can has not fared as well. After three years, it is wet inside. All in all, five years on an ammo can that sits atop the water for five years is not bad! It's at 84 finds and 54 DNFs. (A very tough hide. Two of the DNFs were mine.)

I'm looking for cheap lightweight containers that could be sunk underwater for their lives. This is freshwater we're talking about, but it would be nice if I could put them in the ocean as well. Bison tubes? Cryo tubes? Tupperware? Decons? I know about Otterboxes but just can't see myself paying $10 for a cache. I plan to hide several...

You have to invest in order for a good container. Here's one a built using a 2" PVC ball valve.. the entire project cost about $20 and has lasted two full seasons so far with no water leakage.

GC1CKTX.01.jpg

Edited by bflentje
Truth be told, there is no container that will do what you want and be maintenance free. Seals deteriorate,

cachers don't close them properly, contents or plastic bags get caught in the seal and compromise it.

An underwater cache WILL get wet. It's simply a matter of whether it will be in a few days, or a few months or a little longer.

See my post #13. Now long term over many, many years? Can't answer that. But two seasons and going strong.

I'm out on the trail alot. Mot trails have caches every .1 mile on them that are typical film cans under rocks or hanging in bushes. Easy, and getting old. This one trail follows a river that has swimming holes every couple hundred feet. I figure I could really change things up with this one and maybe get other cachers to follor suit and put better caches on trails. So I'll order 1 30-pack of soda bottle preforms and see how it goes.

You have to invest in order for a good container. Here's one a built using a 2" PVC ball valve.. the entire project cost about $20 and has lasted two full seasons so far with no water leakage.

Aha! So that's what that feller looks like, huh? I still need to go for it, now that my leg has fully healed.

I'm out on the trail alot. Mot trails have caches every .1 mile on them that are typical film cans under rocks or hanging in bushes. Easy, and getting old. This one trail follows a river that has swimming holes every couple hundred feet. I figure I could really change things up with this one and maybe get other cachers to follor suit and put better caches on trails. So I'll order 1 30-pack of soda bottle preforms and see how it goes.

I'm actually rather skeptical about the preforms ummmm... performing as a long-term underwater cache. I question that the gasket is sufficient for the task. Has anybody got any real life experiences with them in that environment?

Aha! So that's what that feller looks like, huh? I still need to go for it, now that my leg has fully healed.

Aw heck, I just pulled some random picture from Google. I don't know what you're talking about..

:ph34r: cheater :ph34r:

Aw heck, I just pulled some random picture from Google. I don't know what you're talking about..

I love the idea of a ball valve. It never occurred to me when I was thinking of a positive seal for a cache.

I wonder how much a 4" ball valve will set me back?

I have a great place to hide an underwater cache but I don't want to have to check on it being wet every week.

Rite in the rain paper? NG paper? Gotta besumthin'

Of coure I'll have double ziplocs on it as an extra precaution...

I'm actually rather skeptical about the preforms ummmm... performing as a long-term underwater cache. I question that the gasket is sufficient for the task. Has anybody got any real life experiences with them in that environment?

Rite in the rain paper Edited by GeoBigDawg

I love the idea of a ball valve. It never occurred to me when I was thinking of a positive seal for a cache.

I wonder how much a 4" ball valve will set me back?

I have a great place to hide an underwater cache but I don't want to have to check on it being wet every week.

I got the one in the picture at the local Home Depot for about $15. The rest of the hardware, caribiner and brick was probably another $5-10 total. The investment was well worth reading the logs on the cache. It seems that people are really enjoying it.

I have had an underwater cache since last October.

It is an ammo can. After the winter where the pond froze once opened in spring it was bone dry. I put a pelican box inside it but it has been completely unnecessary.

+1 on the ammo can. How can you get more dry? You can't.