hiding a cache in a local golf course?

I don't know if this would violate the guidelines... if I have obtained permission to hide a cache on a local course from the owner (it is a very small course 9 holes)... and he told me that in order to find it, they would have to pay to play... would that violate the guidelines? I have seen a cache listing at a local skaterink... so you would have to pay to skate to find it. This is similar... correct?

I don't know if this would violate the guidelines... if I have obtained permission to hide a cache on a local course from the owner (it is a very small course 9 holes)... and he told me that in order to find it, they would have to pay to play... would that violate the guidelines? I have seen a cache listing at a local skaterink... so you would have to pay to skate to find it. This is similar... correct?

Geocaching is a free activity. I don't know if its against the guidelines but it would certinly be bad form and would likely give GCing a bad name since many would just go to the cache and completely bypass the clubhouse.

Posting a cache on a golf course looks like its permission and many believe golf courses are public land but they are all private. A golf course can eject personnel at will.

I thought about hiding on a golf course too but realized there would be no way to get GCers as a whole to abide by the rules of the course.

I don't think this would be allowed, as it sounds like a 'commercial' cache. I'm not sure off the top of my head wheteher it is official, but I believe there is a guideline stating something to the effect of "if a searcher needs to pay to enter a commercial business to get the cache, it's not allowed'. Fees to enter public parks don't seem to apply.

Also, the skaterink cache should not be considered as a precedent for anything. If you bring that up with the reviewer, that one may wind up getting archived as well.

If it's a commercial business. Yes it does.

If it's non profit, maybe not. It's still goofy.

What about in the parking lot of the golf course? No fees, and everyone can abide by the rules.

This is only an opinion based on Oregon laws but for what it is worth, here it is:

If a privately owned space is open to the public then you can get a traffic ticket on that private space, therefore it should be utilized and considered a public space owned privately. Public spaces are great places for caches. So, by my reasoning, it should be allowed in parking lots.

It is by this reasoning that LPCs are allowed in the parking lot of your local WalMart.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...59-b3ca487a7d48

This is one in my hometown that's located next to the golf course. Of course, the golf course is within a park/lake/campground area, so its a high traffic area anyway! I haven't found it- its not in my geomate jr. I do know the area & im interested to see how close it is to the course.

As a golfer, I wouldn't like a cache on the course, just because a) it'd be VERY distracting to have people poking around while I was trying to hit. :ph34r: my aim is not that good. well, let me rephrase.. my aim is VERY good, when it comes to the stuff im not aiming at! The trees along the side? that's where my ball lies too!! I refuse to hit if someone is in my normal path of destruction. Since most courses run a pretty tight schedule, it wouldn't really be fair for a geocacher to hold me up (since I'd have to pay the green fees to play), which would hold up the people behind me who also paid money.

Geocaching is a free activity. I don't know if its against the guidelines but it would certinly be bad form and would likely give GCing a bad name since many would just go to the cache and completely bypass the clubhouse.

Posting a cache on a golf course looks like its permission and many believe golf courses are public land but they are all private. A golf course can eject personnel at will.

Many of our local golf courses are owned and run by the local counties. As such, public property. But, if you have to pay to play a round to find the cache, then it is a commercial cache, and not permitted.

Aiming to the parking lot aspect of this conversation, that's still up to the OWNER of the property...around here at least. We own the property the parking lot is on, therefore we have say whether we want you on the property or not regardless of it being a parking lot.

Asking the owner would be the first thing should you decide to go for this option!

That would fall under commercial cache.

course you could tell them to contact Groundspeak, I don't know what they charge for commercial cache.

if it were possible to place it in an "out of play" area on the property and possibly provide a code to give the business that you're there JUST TO FIND THE CACHE and aren't showing up with clubs or cart.

if owner is ADAMENT that finder must pay then they'd have to cough up cash to Groundspeak for a commercial cache. thats my take on it.

We've found lots of caches at places like that, water parks, golf courses...different areas that are pay areas, but they all said, "There is no need to go inside to grab this cache..."

It may have been on the property of the facility, but was hidden in a way so people didn't have to pay to find it.

I like to use Golf coarses as offset coords for my mystery caches. You don't have to worry about the 528 rule because there's nothing actually there and the land can't be used for cachin' anyway.

I had planned to make one local golf course 18 holes of mystery offsets.

I have found several caches on golf courses, I don't know if they should have been there, but they were, so I went and found them.

Definitely a commercial cache. I seriously doubt it would be approved. Try a local park or other public space.

Commercial caches must be OK. We have one at the MOA. You out of towners know call it the Mall Of America. You don't get more commercial than the MOA.

Do you have to PAY to get in MOA or to get to that cache? :ph34r:

I went to ask permission to place a cache from a golf course owner a while ago. The golf course owner was very accomodating. His suggestion was to place a "free round of golf" pass in the container. The finder then had the option of taking him up on the free round of golf or just signing the log and carring on his/her way. The only condition was that the finder after having his free round of golf returned the pass to the cache so it cound be used again. The cache location is a out of the way place where no body could get accidently beaned by a golf ball. The golf course owner was happy with this idea because in the long run it was a form of free advertising. Other family/friends with the cacher still had to pay to play golf. This cache was reviewed and accepted with a few slight modifications to the original version and has been in place for a few years with no reported problems. This cache is near Lumby BC and is called the Duteau Creek Cache GC15BH9

Which is part of the reason for the guideline against commercial caches.

Geocache listings shouldn't be free advertising for a business. It sounds like you were able to reach a nice compromise with the reviewer in order to get this one listed.

There is little chance of a pay to play cache getting published these days.

Edited by wimseyguy

I went to ask permission to place a cache from a golf course owner a while ago. The golf course owner was very accomodating. His suggestion was to place a "free round of golf" pass in the container. The finder then had the option of taking him up on the free round of golf or just signing the log and carring on his/her way. The only condition was that the finder after having his free round of golf returned the pass to the cache so it cound be used again. The cache location is a out of the way place where no body could get accidently beaned by a golf ball.

The golf course owner certainly sounds generous. I've never played a round of golf in my life so would just leave the "free round of golf coupon" in the cache if I found it.

I have a cache located "near" a frisbee golf course. It's called "Out of Bounds".

RE: pay to play

I know of quite a few caches that in State Parks, which for most of the year require a fee to enter. However, often the entry kiosk closes around 5-6pm so one can enter the park before/after hours (though many have "this park is closed from sunset to sunrise" signs). I have also encountered caches that were placed in a park which required a day use fee and told the person at the entry kiosk what I was there for and they let me go in, find the cache, and leave without paying a fee.

The paying for a round of golf to enter the property and find the cache sounds a bit extreme to me. I personally wouldn't place one a golf course under those conditions. I don't golf and I would expect that a fairly significant number of geocachers don't golf either and even for a small golf course I would imagine that it's not exactly cheap.

There is a ski resort not far form here that has four caches on it. Since they're pretty far up the mountain the easiest way to get to them is to go in winter, take a chair lift up and ski down to the cache. They're frequently found in the summer when the resort is closed.

Placing a cache midway down the west face of KT22 at Squaw Valley would probably be a 5 star terrain and not just because it would require special equipment to get to it.