Chiltern Hundred

Hi we are attempting the Chiltern Hundred series next month and would like any advice that people could give us on completing this series.Dont know if we will be able to complete on day one but will be overnighting in the area.

Thanks

The George's

I finished the series yesterday. Well worth the effort! Quite difficult if you're based outside the UK (like me) and can't afford two consecutive days to complete the series in one push (also like me). I think that it's too much for a single day. Even though that's been done, my opinion is that it would spoil the experience and it's best to allow at least two days.

The other advice is that you'll have to allow for four or five caches to be not found, either because they're out of action or because you DNF them. You only need 100 to get the final coordinates though!

Good luck, it's great fun!

Hi we are attempting the Chiltern Hundred series next month and would like any advice that people could give us on completing this series.Dont know if we will be able to complete on day one but will be overnighting in the area.

Thanks

The George's

I completed, bar one I couldn't find and two out-of-action, the Chesham ring on Monday in 5.5 hours. This was without any major stops and only 5 mins for lunch so longer would need to be allowed if making a full day of it. The suggested time of 10 hours is probably a little conservative if you have a decent level of fitness.

Enjoy it!

Thanks

The George's

I completed, bar one I couldn't find and two out-of-action, the Chesham ring on Monday in 5.5 hours. This was without any major stops and only 5 mins for lunch so longer would need to be allowed if making a full day of it. The suggested time of 10 hours is probably a little conservative if you have a decent level of fitness.

Enjoy it!

I managed 50 in about 7 hours, with no stops, walking as fast as possible between caches (just short of actually running) and with the majority almost instant finds. I had a system of signing the log as quickly as possible, and replacing the cache whilst setting the GPSr to the next one (using a Route with manual transition to save messing about). I thought that was pretty much as efficient as you can get. I guess the 10 hours requires running, as there's bound to be a few caches that take 20 minutes or so for one reason or another.

Someone did the whole lot in 7 hours, however, but I've no idea how that was possible, as even the caches grouped close together take more than five minutes including the approach, signing the log and replacing the cache; and five minutes would be too slow.

In any case, I don't think you should rush as it's enjoyable to take in the countryside rather than just charging from cache to cache.

I've only done one ring and that took 2 days because I set out too late on the first day. So my opinion probably isn't as valid as the serious cachers who attempt all in a day, or two.

However in my view it is definitely worth savouring if you feel you have the time. The scenery is beautiful, and I marvel at how some DO manage it all in one very long day. Someone made mention of cycling round, which to an extent might speed things up, but you'll have to be prepared to lug the bike over stiles and through more difficult terrain at times, such as leaf mould, rutted mud and up steep grassy slopes. Up to you. The distances between those I did ranged between roughly 250-500 yards. Oh, and my nettle stick came in useful too...

Have fun - that's the main thing!

:ph34r:

We managed to find 99 and 1 dnf in a day,we started at 6am and gave in to fatigue at 9pm..it was a hard day and we had a group to keep us all going,but the following day or two was a trifle fraught with various aches and pains...but really enjoyed the circuits and countryside...MooToo

I have to agree with mootoo, also to do the area justice and enjoy the walk two days is the way forward for the chiltern 100

I agree - although we did it in one day - as a challenge - to appreciate the area it would have been better over two days.

Plan to go back in September time to mop up the strays and have a look around this time.

Good luck with your attempt on the Chiltern Hundred it's a worthwhile and enjoyable challenge. I've completed the challenge three times now in each of my active Papakas Pack caching accounts albeit in parts. I found the proprietors of the Bell Inn in Chartridge very helpful by letting me leave my car in their parking area especially when caching through the night. Once you've plotted the three rings you'll discover Chartridge a good central point for two of the rings and a well paved walk towards Chesham to access the third. As to whether the same parking is good for the bonus, well you are 109 (100 at least) caches from finding out!

I was part of a group of 3 which did the total ring in one day last October.

We managed to find all the caches except for 2 which had gone missing.

Starting around 7 am, we walked at a steady pace (no running) and managed to average around 8 caches per hour. With a cumulative meal break time of around 45 minutes, we finished the walk around 9 pm in the dark, then drove out to the bonus. Total distance covered was around 20 miles because we hopped from one ring to another at various points in order to keep the mileage down as much as possible.

Now I'm not a fitness freak! :P

Being a 60 year old office worker means that I'm in average health but not super fit, so anybody should be able to do what I managed.

Just make sure that you have appropriate clothing and footwear, and take plenty of food and drink with you when you set out (there are some pubs on the route but they will only slow you down) :)

Most importantly.........

Good Luck and Enjoy It :P

Just to note, the 9-member "Team Whatever" completed 109/109 of the Chiltern Hundred caches on Saturday in 10hrs and 54mins.

And now we're all knackered.

Well done the whatevers! You did a lot better than I did reently when replacing the log books.

1) it took me three days

2) Two of the caches in trees, I didn't get

10 hours 54 minutes is a very fast time!

Just to note, the 9-member "Team Whatever" completed 109/109 of the Chiltern Hundred caches on Saturday in 10hrs and 54mins.

Well done the whatevers! You did a lot better than I did reently when replacing the log books.

1) it took me three days

2) Two of the caches in trees, I didn't get

10 hours 54 minutes is a very fast time!

Hi we followed the whatevers all weekend or so it seemed.we done it over 3 days in 15 hours and 24 miles.loved it!!!!!!!!!

Speak for yourself - I cycled 20 miles to go and get MR4 Tuesday night !

(although t be fair - Sunday was a bit of a write off).

LinseyG

Speak for yourself - I cycled 20 miles to go and get MR4 Tuesday night !

(although t be fair - Sunday was a bit of a write off).

LinseyG

I didn't walk straight until Tuesday. On Sunday, I was seriously considering my chances of getting into work because I hurt too much to move.

I thank the god of pharmacy for Deep Heat and Naproxen.

Me and Mummy P Smiffy started the Chiltern 100 last Sunday. We started with the Chartridge ring as it was the smallest and we only had limited time. We completed it in just under 4 hours. It was incredibly muddy and windy. I think it would spoil it if you rushed around this part of the world and not take in the beautiful scenery. When we get a chance to off load Baby P Smiffy we will continue with another leg of the 100's

_TeamFitz_ are planning to do the 100.. but we're waiting till next year when the days get longer, we want to try for the whole lot*, what time do people suggest starting? We are thinking of starting at 6am but going by these posts, maybe we need to start earlier?!

*Yeah, yeah I know can't appreciate the area - but hey I live nearby and have seen plenty of Herts so far.

im put off of the crime in the area and the reports of caches getting their cars broken into. is there a safe area to park, even if its half way round (and start from a halfway point to end at the halfway point). even a local cachers drive would suit me if i was ever to do it.

I used the public car park by Chesham railway station, close to CH001 the first cache in the series. It was there all day with no problems.

im put off of the crime in the area and the reports of caches getting their cars broken into. is there a safe area to park, even if its half way round (and start from a halfway point to end at the halfway point). even a local cachers drive would suit me if i was ever to do it.

I've lived here for some decades now, and I wouldn't call this a high crime area. "Leafy suburb" is more how it is. When I set it, and when I've done maintenance, I've just parked wherever is most convenient (without blocking other people, of course), and I've had no problems.

_TeamFitz_ are planning to do the 100.. but we're waiting till next year when the days get longer, we want to try for the whole lot*, what time do people suggest starting? We are thinking of starting at 6am but going by these posts, maybe we need to start earlier?!

*Yeah, yeah I know can't appreciate the area - but hey I live nearby and have seen plenty of Herts so far.

It is doable in one day - lots of people have. You will want to start early, though, and be aware that you might need a torch towards the end of the day. Because it's set up as three rings, you should be able to arrange to swing past your car towards the end of the day. And find a good way to note the values in the caches - some people have been disappointed at the end of the day to find they can't read their notes!

I used the public car park by Chesham railway station, close to CH001 the first cache in the series. It was there all day with no problems.

John, you forgot to mention that it was freezing cold and p**sing down with rain all day and the scumbags were probably all tucked up at home in the warm! :unsure:

And find a good way to note the values in the caches - some people have been disappointed at the end of the day to find they can't read their notes!

FWIW, one way I've found that works is to have laminated cache lists* on a clipboard (bottom edge bungeed down to prevent unwanted flappage) and add notes with a permanent marker. Waterproof, pretty much indestructible and the clipboard makes a handy prop if you need to come up with a quick excuse** as to why exactly you were groping a tree. ::o)

*No, not the full listing for each one. Condensed summary, 20 caches per side of A4.

** "Tree survey, Sir. If you have a look on the council website when you get home, you can see where we're going to be next . .. "