Iron Age Hill Fort as an Earthcache?

Matthew 7:7 Too

If you search on earthcache.org for historical earthcaches in the UK, you will find the Din Lligwy Iron Age Village, Din Lligwy Burial Chamber and Loughton Fort Iron Age Hill Fort listed.

But after a lot of work, I have just submitted the Castle Ring Iron Age Hill Fort as the first historical-type earthcache in the West Midlands to be told that it does not qualify as it is not earth science related!

My write up was along the lines of the Loughton Hill example, and so I can only presume that the criteria for setting up an earthcache have changed, or that they have recruited new reviewers who are now bending over backwards to insist on earthcaches being very tightly controlled.

Anyone else having trouble getting earthcaches adopted????

Chris (Very disheartened)

I have noticed that the geological requirement has been tightened up quite a bit. I've had a few recently sent back for more hard geology eventhough the focus of the EarthCache was a process.

I would expect you would be able to still get it published if you added a paragraph or two on the local geology and how it relates to the hill.

That kind of an earthcache could be interesting if it could integrate geology sufficiently to satisfy the basic requirements. When I was in New Mexico recently, we took a quick trip to Bandelier National Monument, which has intriguing sandstone formations that were used by ancient people for cliff dwellings. I thought it would be nice if there was an earthcache that could explain the geology of the area and how that played an important role to make the area suitable for early human habitation. I was not prepared to develop the cache myself, but the idea of a historical earthcache that shows how geology has affected our experience could be a good one.

I have just submitted the Castle Ring Iron Age Hill Fort as the first historical-type earthcache in the West Midlands to be told that it does not qualify as it is not earth science related!

Chris (Very disheartened)

Please don't be disheartened!

There is a new leaflet here for the new Cannock Chase geotrail, which includes a map showing how the Castle Ring is located on a projecting 'knob' of Triassic conglomerate (no 18) and Alluvial Fan (no 17).

The Earthscience bit could be along the lines of compare and contrast the Sandstone at 17 (what does it look like, how thick is the exposure [about 1m] how big are the grains etc) and the conglomerate within the ditches of the hill fort.

You could also work in how the Ancient Britons built Castle Ring where they did because of the geology - they could work (dig) the conglomerates using antler picks and wotnot with ease but the sandstone was too tough...

Hope this provides a couple of ideas to renergise you in your attempts!

Mike