Can't solve this puzzle cache

Hi all.

I'm new to the geocaching game, and I'm really enjoying it. Lately, as I venture farther from my front doorstep in search of hides I haven't found yet, I'm starting to run into puzzle caches. I'm trying to learn more about cryptograms and ciphers, etc., but I've run into a couple that have me wondering where to even begin. No doubt some of you are much more familiar with these than I am, and so I'm hoping you can help me.

This is the first one:

44 E2 1C 38 50 46 53 A9

35 CF 06 F6 D5 DD 99 9F

21 AD 55 B1 34 DB 18 B9

BA DC 9F 0D 30 E8 04 28

And this is the second:

72A69F7ECC0F24730B51E52F7592EC07

19DEA554BE8FF71EEBA6E9FD490631F7

Can anyone tell me what kind of code these might be, and how I might go about figuring them out?

Thanks, and happy trails.

Hi all.

I'm new to the geocaching game, and I'm really enjoying it. Lately, as I venture farther from my front doorstep in search of hides I haven't found yet, I'm starting to run into puzzle caches. I'm trying to learn more about cryptograms and ciphers, etc., but I've run into a couple that have me wondering where to even begin. No doubt some of you are much more familiar with these than I am, and so I'm hoping you can help me.

This is the first one:

44 E2 1C 38 50 46 53 A9

35 CF 06 F6 D5 DD 99 9F

21 AD 55 B1 34 DB 18 B9

BA DC 9F 0D 30 E8 04 28

And this is the second:

Can anyone tell me what kind of code these might be, and how I might go about figuring them out?

ASCII code?

I know that computers use the digits 1, 2, 3, 4, .... 0 and A through F.

So, your first thing to discover is what kind of computer interpretation is needed.

Hi all.

This is the first one:

44 E2 1C 38 50 46 53 A9

35 CF 06 F6 D5 DD 99 9F

21 AD 55 B1 34 DB 18 B9

BA DC 9F 0D 30 E8 04 28

And this is the second:

ASCII code?

I know that computers use the digits 1, 2, 3, 4, .... 0 and A through F.

So, your first thing to discover is what kind of computer interpretation is needed.

the first one could be a small program[probably a .com file] course without the listing its hard to know what to do. whats the GC of the listing?

For the record, it is not appropriate to leave clues for other people's caches in public forums. As Wintonian suggested, you should ask the owner for hints. Or if you ask someone other than the owner for hints, then don't do so on a public forum like this.

For the record, it is not appropriate to leave clues for other people's caches in public forums. As Wintonian suggested, you should ask the owner for hints. Or if you ask someone other than the owner for hints, then don't do so on a public forum like this.

Dead horse list, item #163.

Dead horse list, item #163.

:ph34r:

Hey, should we add to the dead horse list - posting dead horse item #'s on other threads?

:ph34r: kidding.... kidding..... :ph34r:

the first one could be a small program[probably a .com file] course without the listing its hard to know what to do. whats the GC of the listing?

Up until right now, it's just someone asking a question about an alpha-numeric code. If the OP posts the GC number or anyone else is able to figure out the GC number from the OP's home area, then it becomes a question about how to solve a specific puzzle cache, which is a no-no.

If I go to all the trouble of creating a puzzle, I don't want people posting the solution in public. Most owners are willing to give hints to people who politely request one, unless the puzzle hasn't been solved yet. Have you asked the owner.

Thanks for the feedback. Please understand that I certainly didn't intend to open a can of worms. And perhaps I should have clearly stated that I wasn't fishing for the actual solution, but rather a suggestion on a possible starting point in beginning the process of cracking the code.

As it is right now I don't even know what kind of code it might be (despite a number of Google searches, but perhaps I'm a little thick), and so I was just fishing for a small hint to get me going. If this is not appropriate, then please accept my apologies. :ph34r:

Thanks for the feedback. Please understand that I certainly didn't intend to open a can of worms. And perhaps I should have clearly stated that I wasn't fishing for the actual solution, but rather a suggestion on a possible starting point in beginning the process of cracking the code.

As it is right now I don't even know what kind of code it might be (despite a number of Google searches, but perhaps I'm a little thick), and so I was just fishing for a small hint to get me going. If this is not appropriate, then please accept my apologies. :ph34r:

Hi Ya

If I could help you then I would but unfortunately I cant think of this. If I do I will. I think that maybe some people should regurgitate this this of protocol on a thread specifically dedicated to it because they seem to pop up around every corner talking about dead horses and generally making people feel unwanted and generaly quite stupid.

That being said I would agree that the owner should be able to give a hint, although after getting 2 hints from a rather cryptic but completely genius owner recently Im still clueless :ph34r: hence the name!! lol

Claire xx

That being said I would agree that the owner should be able to give a hint, although after getting 2 hints from a rather cryptic but completely genius owner recently Im still clueless :ph34r: hence the name!! lol

The owner IS where you should go to ask for help on a puzzle cache. I've never met a puzzle cache owner that wasn't more than glad to help out. They seem to relish in revealing their cleverness. Don't be afraid to email them. Generally, I would begin by simply saying what you have already tried, or maybe even "I have NO idea where to begin with a puzzle like yours. Can you get me started?"

The owner IS where you should go to ask for help on a puzzle cache. I've never met a puzzle cache owner that wasn't more than glad to help out. They seem to relish in revealing their cleverness. Don't be afraid to email them. Generally, I would begin by simply saying what you have already tried, or maybe even "I have NO idea where to begin with a puzzle like yours. Can you get me started?"

Some people are just to proud to let others know they need help. If you have that problem, you need to get over it and do as others have suggested and ask CO. I mean the collective you BTW.

Hi all.

This is the first one:

44 E2 1C 38 50 46 53 A9

35 CF 06 F6 D5 DD 99 9F

21 AD 55 B1 34 DB 18 B9

BA DC 9F 0D 30 E8 04 28

And this is the second:

Hi Ya

Something I have found useful is this.

http://home2.paulschou.net/tools/xlate/

Although I dont think it helps either of these puzzles (hard to say without knowing the cache) but bookmark it for again.

Claire xx