Found a cache using a Geocache Jr

ShadowscoutB

I found a cache :( using my Geocache Jr which only tells you which direction and how many miles/feet away it is.

I was going to take and item and put a new item in and put it back in the same place I found it. The problem is when I searched the website, I can't find this cache so I can log my find and put it back.

Any suggestions?

Edited by ShadowscoutB

I found a cache :( using my Geocache Jr which only tells you which direction and how many miles/feet away it is.

I was going to take and item and put a new item in and put it back in the same place I found it. The problem is when I searched the website, I can't find this cache so I can log my find and put it back.

Any suggestions?

Turn on the GeomateJr, push the right button three times and you should see a smiley face in the lower right hand corner, the center display will say found.

Push the left button and the display with have a code, add GC to the front of this code and that will be the cache name that you can search for. Under the cache code is the date you found the cache.

"put it back" - does this mean you took the cache home with you?

Our son just got a GeoMate Jr for his birthday, we hid all of his presents outside in the joined neighbors' yards and the last one was his GeoMate Jr.

WE ALL LOVE THIS THING!!! the only problem we have found is that it is not completely up to date with caches in the area, and you don't get the hints. I know that they are working on a cable update package, but as of yet, it isn't on the market.

We went out to find a few and had a great time, planned one cache, and after we found it the Jr said that there was another one not far from the first... so we went looking! The only problem we worried about was that perhaps the cache had been archived, moved, etc. (we did find it though!)

You just need to plan ahead a little, perhaps do some research as to where you are going between the Jr and the Geocaching website and then cross your fingers that you are lucky for the day.

Well if you look on the Geocaching maps, You should be able to narrow it down to the location you were in when you found the cache. Then once you find the general area, look at the caches around there and see if any look familiar.

Chris - KA7CJH

Please! Never remove the cache!

Bring swag with you and make the exchange in the field. Don't take the cache home!!!

If you DID bring it home, most likely the name of the cache is listed somewhere on or within the container. If you find the name, you can contact the owner for help and I'm sure they'll be glad to help you get the container back where it belongs ... or you can place a message here and one of us is sure to help you out.

When you find a cache, you're supposed to press the "find" button for several seconds until you get a message that your find is saved. All geocaches begin with the letter CG, but the geomate Jr. skips the CG in its description. You'll have to add the CG when you look up the cache at geocaching.com.

Edited by michigansnorkelers

Since it does not have all the up to date caches in the area does the geomate jr. allow you to input lat/log manually to find other caches you print out?

No it doesn't. However, it does have a screen showing your current latitude and longitude.

It is POSSIBLE but difficult to find another cache by walking in the correct direction until the numbers equal the cache location. I actually did this last week. I knew there was a cache within 300 feet of the parking lot. I started down the trail (which fortunately ran pretty straight eastward) until I was within 60 feet of the cache and headed off trail. I found the cache in a likely place within a minute.

Sure wish there was a backlight on the display. It's easy enough to follow the arrow toward an included cache, but trying to read the latitude/longitude in subdued lighting was a bear!