GPSMAP 60CSx software version 4.00 as of May 26, 2009

GPSMAP 60CSx software version 4.00

as of May 26, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change History

Changes made from version 3.90 to 4.00:

◦Fixed several errors in NMEA statements introduced in 3.90.

◦Fixed WAAS information not showing 'D' in satellite bars. Error was introduced in 3.90.

◦Other minor bug fixes.

Mass storage seems work again (bug introduced into 3.90!)

What bugs introduce version 4.00 ?

My versions history :

Version 3.70:

Software Version 3.70

GPS SW Version 2.90 (Sirf3)

(Work OK but don't support map>2gb)

Version 3.90:

Software Version 3.90

GPS SW Version 3.00s (Sirf3)

(Work erratic and support map>2gb / exe upgrade file contains a very buggy firmware)

Version 4.00:

Software Version 4.00

(Seems to be OK)

Edited by sim_v

I am sorry to ask but would someone please tell me where and what are the "D"s? I too, webupdated from 3.90 to 4.00 and am wondering what the D's are about? Thank-you.

Yvette

The D's are shown at the bottom of the signal strength bars, on the satellite page, when you have WAAS enabled, and are receiving either of the WAAS satellites. D = Differential GPS, sometimes an indication of better accuracy, and lower EPE (Estimated Position Error).

Bill

Just a note on my experience with v4.0, I was unable to use the USB connect to download v4.0 into my 60Csx. Tried both the web updater, and the manual down load updater....both stalled out. The manual updater worked with my COM port, so I do have v4.0, finally. Went from v3.7=>v4.0.

The USB port works for other peripherals, just not the firmware updater. It does transfer waypoints etc from the 60Csx.

Cheers,

Jim

Mass storage seems work again (bug introduced into 3.90!)

What bugs introduce version 4.00 ?

My versions history :

Version 3.70:

Software Version 3.70

GPS SW Version 2.90 (Sirf3)

(Work OK but don't support map>2gb)

Version 3.90:

Software Version 3.90

(Work erratic and support map>2gb / exe upgrade file contains a very buggy firmware)

Version 4.00:

Software Version 4.00

(Seems to be OK)

Went from 3.7 to 4.0 and no problems; I always update manually though, just a personal preference.

Did a test track walking comparing both my the 60CSx, 4.0, and the Oregon 400t, 3.01, side by side and the 60CSx still outperfoms the Oregon's tracking substantially. 60CSx no drift at slow walking speeds and the track came back to the exact same spot I started from... 60CSx dead on. Oregon small amount of drift and showed 25' off when back at the starting point.

I reinstalled the software again via web updater. GPS at least boots up now (it wasn't for a while there). However, with my 2.0 GB card in, the GPS just stalls on boot up. I tried erasing the card, I will next try formatting it and see what happens. But right now, the unit won't boot with the card in. :anicute: The saga continues... ----- EDIT: OK, so I formatted the 2.0 GB Card to FAT MS-DOS format and everything appears to be working. Start ups and shut offs are happening without a hitch. Strange.

Edited by geojibby

I suggest always take the card out! before you do a webupdate.

This is sound advice. I've never updated my GPS software before. I probably could have saved myself mucho grief. But, everything is back in good working order again. I had to re-transfer my topo map back onto my card, but that wasn't a big deal. Hopefully, this version is good to go. :P

Well, after a day or so of use with 4.0, there are still a couple of weird hiccups I never had with 3.7 - 1 random shut off at start up and a random shut off in mass storage mode. Other than that, it's not bad but before 4.0 I never had any issues with my Cx.

Not sure if this is a bug, but here goes...

Had 3.90 but NEMA didn't work so reverted to 3.70. Then flashed to 4.00 and re-setup the 60CSx. Yesterday I went on a road trip and hike and the GPS didn't record track to the datacard (2GB with 48% free) when the checkbox is ticked for the option to record to datacard.

I just chose "Delete All" and it started recording to datacard again. Bug? I don't remember reading anywhere that you have to delete all tracks on datacard for the function to work.

I went on a road trip and hike and the GPS didn't record track to the datacard (2GB with 48% free) when the checkbox is ticked for the option to record to datacard.

I just chose "Delete All" and it started recording to datacard again. Bug? I don't remember reading anywhere that you have to delete all tracks on datacard for the function to work.

Someone in the 60C(S)x Yahoo group reported that when a certain number of files have been created on the card, it stops recording. The card was nowhere near full. Clearing them off started recording again. This happened with previous firmware versions.

The exact number of files that cause it to stop recording was not determined, but the person who reported it said there were “about a year’s worth” of files on the card. Another person who confirmed a similar experience said he thought he had over 200 files on the card when it stopped recording. Again, the card was nowhere near full.

If you saved copies of the files on a computer before deleting them, you may find that it stopped recording some time ago when the maximum number of files was reached, and you just weren’t aware of it.

I noticed something strange with the guidance text on the map screen today, it doesn't always tells me the next turn coming up. A good example of how I remember it The guidance text used to say 1st St. to 5 Ave on right or south to 5 Ave. Now All I get is South on 1st street, which is no help at all. The next turn popup & active route still displays the next turn info, but the guidance text doesn't.

Anyone else notice this?

I also noticed while following one curvy road the Guidance text first said West on county Y, turn a corner it would say South on County Y. so it seems now the guidance text is just displaying direction of travel & road name.

The guidance text used to say 1st St. to 5 Ave on right or south to 5 Ave. Now All I get is South on 1st street

Mine will display either of those ways. Always has AFAIK. I’m still using Firmware 3.70.

What mine does is display “South on 1st Street” (using your example) if the turn is far away, then as I get closer it switches to “1st Street to 5th Ave,” then “Right on 5th Ave.” I haven’t paid enough attention to determine under exactly what circumstances it changes. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s different for different types of roads.

Any chance you might just have looked at it when you were a long way from a turn?

I also noticed while following one curvy road the Guidance text first said West on county Y, turn a corner it would say South on County Y.

Mine also changes the displayed direction of travel if the road isn’t straight.

For anyone using SW 4.0, Mac OS X and is experiencing weirdness (hangs, random shut offs, constant beeping when shutting the unit off, etc.) The firmware update is having problems with the hidden files that Mac OS X puts on the card: (.fseventsd .Trashes .Spotlight-V100 ._.Trashes) Here is the fix:

Step 0: Mount your MicroSD card either in your unit in Mass USB mode or via card reader

Step 1: Open Terminal.app (it's under Applications/Utilities)

Step 2: Find the name of your card (type "ls /Volumes" - your Hard Drive, sdcard, etc. will be displayed)

Step 3: Use the following command to remove these offending files (sync; rm -rf /Volumes/GPSDATA/.*) -- where "GPSDATA" is the name of your mounted sdcard. Yours will probably be different. You will find out what it is called via the ls /Volumes command in step 2.

Step 4: The Terminal will return a message that "rm: "." and ".." may not be removed" but don't worry about that. The problem is now fixed!

Step 5: Unmount the card by using this code: sync; sudo umount -f /Volumes/GPSDATA or by just physically pulling out the card. You'll get a warning message but don't worry about it.

Step 6: Enjoy! B)

Viola!!! The problem is fixed! I tried this code that I got from the Yahoo Group and it worked like a charm. My GPSMAP60Cx is running SW 4.0 and I haven't had any problems since. It's really Garmin's problem, as hidden files shouldn't cause firmware to botch. But this works great and it's easy! Don't be afraid of the Terminal. I was at first but it's a cinch! :anibad: Enjoy a fully functioning unit!

My GPSMAP60Cx is running SW 4.0 and I haven't had any problems since.
I had a VERY reproducible hang immediately after boot before removing those files, and it was resolved on several subsequent boots. I'll play around some more today and see if the problem comes back. So far, so good...
My GPSMAP60Cx is running SW 4.0 and I haven't had any problems since.
I had a VERY reproducible hang immediately after boot before removing those files, and it was resolved on several subsequent boots. I'll play around some more today and see if the problem comes back. So far, so good...

I had the exact same experience. All is well now! :anibad:

:anibad: Is there a way to check and see/verify the Firmware Version on the 60 CSX? I can not find it?

MENU>MENU>Setup>System>MENU>Software Version.

:blink: Grrrrrrrrrrreat! It works! Thanks so much. Is there a thread, that lists "Tips" for the 60 CSX???? It would be Reeeeeeal Helpful. I did not find your answer in the manual, so a double thanks to you B)

Is there a thread, that lists "Tips" for the 60 CSX???? It would be Reeeeeeal Helpful. I did not find your answer in the manual, so a double thanks to you :)
Glad it helped. It’s in the manual (Rev. E) on P. 67, but it can be difficult to find what you're looking for in the manuals.

There is a link to FAQ at the top of the index page for this forum. Several of them are for the Garmin 60/76 series. You might also be interested in this: http://www.asiteaboutnothing.net/g_60csx.html? It contains some useful information for new users.

Last night was the first night I didn't drain through a set of NiMH batteries with the unit "off". The 60CSx (SiRF model) booted right up this morning with full battery charge and is working like a champ. I think we've found the problem.

I just feel bad because I returned two good MicroSD cards to Best Buy thinking it was something goofy with the memory.

quite the noob question, but I just bought a used 60CSx and not sure if it is updated or not. Where can I find what version mine has. I can't seem to find that anywhere...

Page to the Main Menu->setup->system->menu->Software Version

Jim

Thanks!

Software version 3.10

GPS SW Version 2.90

Guess I have some updating to do....

I finally decided to take the 3.7 -> 4.0 plunge last night with our 76 CSx. Removed the data card, fresh batteries, ready for a good bit of time for the whole process...which only took about a minute using Webupdater. Replaced card, ensured good sat. fix, saw the "D"s, powered off and on a couple times, checked the other basic features...so far, so good. Looks like a keeper! :D

quite the noob question, but I just bought a used 60CSx and not sure if it is updated or not. Where can I find what version mine has. I can't seem to find that anywhere...

Before posting in a thread, you might consider reading what has already been posted in it. :P Two posts before yours:

:D Is there a way to check and see/verify the Firmware Version on the 60 CSX? I can not find it?

Before posting in a thread, you might consider reading what has already been posted in it. :P Two posts before yours:

:D Is there a way to check and see/verify the Firmware Version on the 60 CSX? I can not find it?

That would require me to read the whole thread... :laughing:

Hey folks,

bought a new 60SCx today and the retailer was so kind to update it for me to 4.00 right in the store.

When I found this thread I checked my SW Version just out of curiosity and it says:

Software Version 4.00

GPS SW Version 2.00m

What exactly is the GPS Software Version and is it the most recent one in my case? If not, how do I update it?

By the way, my unit doesn't display the D's although I have WAAS / EGNOS enabled (it's egnos for me since I live in Europe). Accuracy is fine, though, ranges from 2 to 5 meters in most situations.

Thanks alot,

Pulvertoastmann

Greetings, yes Software version 4.0 is the latest. It also appears you have the MediaTech chip version of the 60 CSx discussed in this recent thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=227922

To keep this up-to-date, download the WebUpdater software from the Garmin site, it will check that you have the latest software/firmware versions.

As for no "D"s, :D this was one of the features of the 4.0 software. I'd suggest making sure you have the latest firmware uploaded, then letting it sit out for about 30 minutes with a good sat. fix to update the units almanac (nothing for you to do there, just wait). Hopefully, this works. Cheers!