Dead Horse List

Ahhh, so that's the trick that no one mentions when it comes to searching with less than 5 letter words. I hate to say it Chad, but you done let the cat out of the bag............

BTW, is that trick in the FAQ or stickied anywhere?

It is written somewhere and I think it works something like:

site:geocachers.hiddinginahedge.org.uk search term

Exactly. Or, you can do the same thing using Google's Advanced Search page. Put "forums.Groundspeak.com" in the "Search within a site or domain" box.

This isn't exclusive to Google is it? and work with other search engines, I think I have used it in the past with Yahoo, but it should be something I use more often considering how frustrated I get with the search function.

OK can we get this one back OT.

I'm too lazy to read through this whole thread, but has resurrecting and bumping of long gone and forgotten threads been added to the list yet? :ph34r:

Someone dredged clams back to the front page.

Yep, they did... Isn't it nice to see the Golden Oldies reappear occasionally? I'm eagerly awaiting the reprise of the geoduck pronunciation debate. I shall never forget my first sight of a geoduck image...

MrsB

OK can we get this one back OT.

I'm too lazy to read through this whole thread, but has resurrecting and bumping of long gone and forgotten threads been added to the list yet? :)

It really depends on which thread it is, and in comparison to other rougue threads...

Someone dredged clams back to the front page.

Clams on the front page isn't bad.. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

In Czech republic we have geowikipedia and there is "list of inappropriate forum threads", in fact it is list of dead horses of czech forum. I think that they are similar:

- lame caches created by newbies; only cachers with more than X founds should be allowed do create new cache.

- why is reviewer publishing such lame caches?

- how to download all caches in coutry into my PC? (~15000 caches)

- geocaching as children's playgroup? OMG!!!

- another new article about geocaching in newspaper. (new stupid teenagers will attend to geocaching)

- 100 founds in a day? Why are you doing it??

Yeah, all those are dead horses.

But come on, if those topics did not get rehashed ad nauseum, the forum would be nearly empty.

This is probably one of the few websites not blocked by a majority of employers so people can waste time on this forum at their jobs.

I started to read all the posts on this topic to see if these were mentioned but I got bored so here are my contributions to the "dead horse society":

geocaching songs

geocaching language

geocaching clothes

geocaching cars

geocaching food

Slightly off topic here but I almost started a thread on the subject but opted to spring board here. I am always fascinated by why people do the things that they do. And on forum boards, beating a subject (a dead horse) to death seems to be a common problem.

So my question is...when we see a thread headed in this direction...WHY do we persist in continuing it? Especially if the issue at question is going nowhere fast or is otherwise circumlocutious.

We all have the ability to put an end to it by not continuing to respond to it. So what is it that seemingly makes it impossible for some of us to let a thread die of natural causes (sooner rather than later, I mean).

Now don't get me wrong here...I have been there/done that and I would be the last person to suggest that any thread be closed or that people shouldn't participate as they see fit. I honestly do support the notion of free speech. But when I find myself in this situation (feeling the need to respond even though I know it just continues the beating of the dead horse) and I step back and ask myself why...the only thing I can come up with is (and I say this with some embarrassment) my own ego. :)

Ego can be as simple as the need to just hear yourself talk (making off topic jokes would fit in here) and thus have others listen and respond, or as complicated as feeling the need to win the debate because thay are sure their position is correct. And an over-active ego can often lead to snide remarks and sarcastic responses that further derail the topic at hand. We've all seen it happen. Some of us have even been participants from time to time.

Maybe it is time to start asking ourselves why and attempt to ascertain those answers for ourselves. Introspection isn't always fun, no doubt. But it is from that place that we can truly understand ourselves and maybe even better understand the actions of others.

And now...for something completely different...a song that often enters my mind when reading these dead horse threads:

Road to Nowhere :)

I was browsing the forums today, and found numerous recent topics that remind me that new people are joining the forums all the time. They must be new, since they are starting new threads on topics that have been covered more than once in these forums.

It's nice to have new cachers joining the forum discussions, but I thought it might be good for them to have a list of topics that have already been beaten to death so they can use the "search" feature before they start posting. That way, they have at least a fighting chance of posting something that will add to the body of knowledge.

Here are the Dead Horse Topics that jumped off the screen at me just a bit ago:

How to adopt a cache

FTF before publication

Terrible cache location

I deleted a log

Someone deleted my log

Cache not published after 72 hours

Cache listing turned down

Don't like log content, too short, too long

Trackable item missing

Armchair log of virtual cache

Logged online, no sig in log book

Cacher sent a nagative email/note/log/message

Puzzle caches, can you help me?

How do you get permission?

Can you add to the list?

How about this one??

Rogue Reviewer

I think the horse is in tiny bits on this one

Slightly off topic here but I almost started a thread on the subject but opted to spring board here. I am always fascinated by why people do the things that they do. And on forum boards, beating a subject (a dead horse) to death seems to be a common problem.

So my question is...when we see a thread headed in this direction...WHY do we persist in continuing it? Especially if the issue at question is going nowhere fast or is otherwise circumlocutious.

We all have the ability to put an end to it by not continuing to respond to it. So what is it that seemingly makes it impossible for some of us to let a thread die of natural causes (sooner rather than later, I mean).

Now don't get me wrong here...I have been there/done that and I would be the last person to suggest that any thread be closed or that people shouldn't participate as they see fit. I honestly do support the notion of free speech. But when I find myself in this situation (feeling the need to respond even though I know it just continues the beating of the dead horse) and I step back and ask myself why...the only thing I can come up with is (and I say this with some embarrassment) my own ego. :)

Ego can be as simple as the need to just hear yourself talk (making off topic jokes would fit in here) and thus have others listen and respond, or as complicated as feeling the need to win the debate because thay are sure their position is correct. And an over-active ego can often lead to snide remarks and sarcastic responses that further derail the topic at hand. We've all seen it happen. Some of us have even been participants from time to time.

Maybe it is time to start asking ourselves why and attempt to ascertain those answers for ourselves. Introspection isn't always fun, no doubt. But it is from that place that we can truly understand ourselves and maybe even better understand the actions of others.

I think you have the wrong thread,what your proposing would only give us world peace. :)

Seriously,I think your right on the money.The Internet has shrunk the world.In a forum like this you can have the reality of high power business person rubbing elbows with the reality of someone who has lived

in a quiet rural setting all they're lives.The Geobeacon thread is a good example of how regional customs

can vary in neigboring states let alone the world.

So in mom and pops rural reality its like...well we'll just ask these nice folks on here how to do it...the well

meaning fast paced business guy wants to help so he types this:(link)..well...not quite what mom and pop are used to when they ask for help in they're reality...but had it been someone from the business guys

reality they would have been tickled pink at the brief info....not quite sure where I'm going with this except

maybe its helps to zoom out a bit with this stuff and be as empathetic as you can be.

Can you add to the list?

How about this one??

Rogue Reviewer

I think the horse is in tiny bits on this one

I think the horse on that one long ago died. And decomposed back into the soil.

I considered jumping in with something intelligent on that one...

but thought better of it.

yeah, why the facination?

Or maybe this topic, dead horse list, is another dead horse.

and here we all are discussing it when we are putting down dead horses... AAAHHHHHAHHHHHHHH!!!!

"Run away, run awayy!!" :)

thread jacking

this thread reminds me of a story related by a friend who was a cocktail server at a pub near a college to remain nameless.

She was serving a large group of patrons who were laughing uproarously.

She approached to see what was so funny in time to hear one participant say" no wait, ive got a better one: 22!!! to which the group once again exploded in laughter. Puzzled, she quizzed one of the participants. The explanation she receeived was thus:

We all went to college together. We have a renunion every year and swap stories and tell jokes. We know all the old favorites, so we just assign numbers to them. When Fred over thee says 22 we all remember the joke and have a good laugh. Occasionally someone brings a new one, we assign a new number and go on in that manner. We just added 167 earlier this evening!!!

Coctail waitress was impressed, and asked "can I tell one? Everyone nodded in assent, and she said "48". Dead silence. Hand on arm. Sorry, I'm afraid some people just don't know how to tell em...

Now lets see... my trevel bug is gone 1

how do I log a travel bug 2...