Dead Horse List

I didnt realise it was polite to search. Im new to this forum and every other forum I have been on has people asking the same things day in day out but I wouldnt cause the offence of saying their contribution wasnt worth it for diamonds. Your right, they should ignore it. Actually when you look at that list I cant think of a single other question I would actually ask about Geocaching so if theres no other discussion allowed then that pretty much renders the forum worthless in my eyes. I paid for membership so will be using it. If people dont like what I post then I will apologise were apologys are due but only where they are due. I wont start apologising for being wet behind the ears, I know I am! Very much so in fact! lol But thats where patience comes in, when your teaching a child to walk, then you dont expect it to run or climb straight away. These forums are for the seasoned veterans to point newbies in the right direction and and for everyone to discuss stuff, vent, rant and sound off within reason.

If Im made unwelcome I will just do my geocaching and stay away from the board or go to another one. But if threads like these are started it will seem like showing people the door who are looking for help. I have opened a couple of threads similar to those listed and Im not easily offended but I do feel somewhat unwelcome since I am obviously contibuting to the corned beef spread all over the bored.

Claire xx

You are fine. Don't let a couple people convince you that your questions aren't welcome. They are welcome.

Forums are for discussions, so feel fine to discuss and ifnore those who say "read the FAQs" or "This question has been asked 100s of times" or the like.

Worry when a moderator emails you though. ~L

If Im made unwelcome I will just do my geocaching and stay away from the board or go to another one. But if threads like these are started it will seem like showing people the door who are looking for help. Claire xx

That statement alone is worth its weight in gold, in my opinion. It seems some regulars would rather have this forum turned into a read-only archive.

I have seen a very similar thread on a astronomy forum a couple years ago. Snipped for brevity, but a great post!

This brings up a couple of points in my mind. First, sometimes there's only a fuzzy gray line between a topic that belongs in "Getting Started" or "Geocaching Topics". The former is generally angst free, and almost any question will be answered a hundred times over; the responders understanding that posters there are most likely new to the game and haven't figured out how the overall community 'works'. This forum, OTOH, is where opinion gets shared openly, and sometimes with great passion. Repetition here is, unfortunately, not well tolerated.

And that brings the second point; I, and I believe many others, do look at someone's post count before loosing the hounds on a well-discussed topic, even in this forum. But not all do. Sometimes there's a bit of leeway given to new members when bringing up old topics, mostly expressed as links to previous versions of said topic. A rude response, yes, but also an answer. I think the greatest angst comes when the same person (or group) uses the next available opportunity to restart a discussion. That's when the flogging really starts, and I suppose one of the reasons for this thread. Yes, the search function works for some, but not others (including me). It also helps to realize that some topics are so good, they've been discussed several times already (even if you and I can't find them) and bring out a great deal of passion even to the point of getting responses of "please don't drag us through that again!" In these cases, just realize the post struck a nerve in the community, and prepare as appropriate. :ph34r:

You see I thought the getting started section was for people who werent started yet. Ive been at it 11 days and am successful enough with 52 under my belt in those 11 days. So I thought I already was started. Im even more clueless now.

I didnt realise it was polite to search. Im new to this forum and every other forum I have been on has people asking the same things day in day out but I wouldnt cause the offence of saying their contribution wasnt worth it for diamonds. Your right, they should ignore it. Actually when you look at that list I cant think of a single other question I would actually ask about Geocaching so if theres no other discussion allowed then that pretty much renders the forum worthless in my eyes. I paid for membership so will be using it. If people dont like what I post then I will apologise were apologys are due but only where they are due. I wont start apologising for being wet behind the ears, I know I am! Very much so in fact! lol But thats where patience comes in, when your teaching a child to walk, then you dont expect it to run or climb straight away. These forums are for the seasoned veterans to point newbies in the right direction and and for everyone to discuss stuff, vent, rant and sound off within reason.

If Im made unwelcome I will just do my geocaching and stay away from the board or go to another one. But if threads like these are started it will seem like showing people the door who are looking for help. I have opened a couple of threads similar to those listed and Im not easily offended but I do feel somewhat unwelcome since I am obviously contibuting to the corned beef spread all over the bored.

Claire xx

You are fine. Don't let a couple people convince you that your questions aren't welcome. They are welcome.

Forums are for discussions, so feel fine to discuss and ifnore those who say "read the FAQs" or "This question has been asked 100s of times" or the like.

If Im made unwelcome I will just do my geocaching and stay away from the board or go to another one. But if threads like these are started it will seem like showing people the door who are looking for help. Claire xx

That statement alone is worth its weight in gold, in my opinion. It seems some regulars would rather have this forum turned into a read-only archive.

Thanks guys

Sorry for being touchy but the dead horse thing does seem specifically angled at newbies and to be honest I cant think that theres anything left to discuss once these subjects have been discounted. Then theres all the protocol which I must try to get myself a copy to save arguments, anyone know where I get one? It does seem like a lot of work. Maybe we should ask ground speak for a newbie section so that we can all help eachother along in a piaget kind of scaffolding program where the veterans can pop in only if willing and they will be saved from our belching including sicky bits.

Claire xx

Edited by CluelessTwo

I have seen a very similar thread on a astronomy forum a couple years ago. Snipped for brevity, but a great post!

This brings up a couple of points in my mind. First, sometimes there's only a fuzzy gray line between a topic that belongs in "Getting Started" or "Geocaching Topics". The former is generally angst free, and almost any question will be answered a hundred times over; the responders understanding that posters there are most likely new to the game and haven't figured out how the overall community 'works'. This forum, OTOH, is where opinion gets shared openly, and sometimes with great passion. Repetition here is, unfortunately, not well tolerated.

And that brings the second point; I, and I believe many others, do look at someone's post count before loosing the hounds on a well-discussed topic, even in this forum. But not all do. Sometimes there's a bit of leeway given to new members when bringing up old topics, mostly expressed as links to previous versions of said topic. A rude response, yes, but also an answer. I think the greatest angst comes when the same person (or group) uses the next available opportunity to restart a discussion. That's when the flogging really starts, and I suppose one of the reasons for this thread. Yes, the search function works for some, but not others (including me). It also helps to realize that some topics are so good, they've been discussed several times already (even if you and I can't find them) and bring out a great deal of passion even to the point of getting responses of "please don't drag us through that again!" In these cases, just realize the post struck a nerve in the community, and prepare as appropriate. :ph34r:

Claire xx

Thanks guys

Sorry for being touchy but the dead horse thing does seem specifically angled at newbies and to be honest I cant think that theres anything left to discuss once these subjects have been discounted. Then theres all the protocol which I must try to get myself a copy to save arguments, anyone know where I get one? It does seem like a lot of work. Maybe we should ask ground speak for a newbie section so that we can all help eachother along in a piaget kind of scaffolding program where the veterans can pop in only if willing and they will be saved from our belching including sicky bits.

Claire xx

The trick to the forums is to not listen to a single person who's got more posts than yourself. Unless of course, the poster is from the Twin Cities. :ph34r:

Thanks guys

Claire xx

Well, actually, there IS a Newbie's Section ("Getting Started") but in my opinion, that is no excuse for rude behavior in this forum. In my opinion, pointing out (yet again) that a topic has been discussed before is far worse than any repeated posting.

If there is a dead horse here, then that horse died with the words "this has been discussed many times before" on its lips.

Edited by knowschad

Think of it this way. Most of us agree that the search engine for this forum sucks. By providing links to previous threads in a polite manner, your are actually doing the poster a favor.

I checked all three pages of this thread and didn't see a reference to an often beaten dead horse:

You Might Be A Geocacher If... which was reposted again today.

Think of it this way. Most of us agree that the search engine for this forum sucks. By providing links to previous threads in a polite manner, your are actually doing the poster a favor.

I checked all three pages of this thread and didn't see a reference to an often beaten dead horse:

Your bolded "in a polite manner" is, in this poster's opinion, the key, and it is all too often neglected

I'm very glad that you brought that up, because with all due respect, your link posts often come off as one of the least friendly. I really don't believe that is your intent... I think that you are hoping to provide added value to a conversation, but you are often so terse in doing so that it comes across as very impolite. In my view, Markwell posted his links in a very friendly way. Yours, despite your intent, do not seem to come across in the same, helpful way. They seem to be trying to shut the conversation off. That is my view, others may get different mileage.

No, but this thread was referenced on one of those. Need a link? :ph34r:

Edited by knowschad

I have no problem being provided with a link to something that answers the question. Its when people start talking about protocol and the culture of this community and what is and isnt right. Theres so many different opinions and some people seem to have added to and discounted protocol in order to enforce it on someone else as far as I can see. Eg, theres something about that beta testing of new caches thing and theres a grey area where its proper protocol apparently for the first to find not to log first to find because it wasnt published when they got the coords although some people disagree etc. Why are there so many rules. Are we following a Geocaching religion or something? I thought that I went to this website, got GPX files, loaded them to my cacheberry, went out caching and when my caching day was over had a good ole time talking about caching? But it just dosent seem to be that simple anymore and Im confused. lol :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Claire xx

Are we following a Geocaching religion or something?

Bingo! Your check will be delivered to your door in a week or less. :ph34r:

Seriously, now you see why we have so many different religions. We can discuss for pages, "What exactly does buried mean?"

We can write tomes on "Does permisson need to be explicit?"

We all know that The Guidelines" were translated into the King James version in the 1600s and much has been lost in that translation. Therefore, we need to check our concordances for the exact meaning of "buried" prior to said translation, and actually form different sects based on our understanding of the meaning of "permission"

But that is only here, on the forums. The Good News is that you are not likely to encounter any of this balderdash locally, or in real life. Enjoy yourself, and understand that there are people here (myself included) that need to get out and do some caching!

New and asking? Takes courage, and in my case anyway, I learn from the questions that the newbies ask. It is the first time they have asked the question, so I will always answer as if it is the first time I have heard it. If I can of course!

There are so many cachers here who have such a wealth of knowledge and experience and are happy to share it others, that I have found this site to be one of the most welcoming and informative.

Thank you to you all....

Are we following a Geocaching religion or something?

Bingo! Your check will be delivered to your door in a week or less. :ph34r:

Seriously, now you see why we have so many different religions. We can discuss for pages, "What exactly does buried mean?"

We can write tomes on "Does permisson need to be explicit?"

We all know that The Guidelines" were translated into the King James version in the 1600s and much has been lost in that translation. Therefore, we need to check our concordances for the exact meaning of "buried" prior to said translation, and actually form different sects based on our understanding of the meaning of "permission"

But that is only here, on the forums. The Good News is that you are not likely to encounter any of this balderdash locally, or in real life. Enjoy yourself, and understand that there are people here (myself included) that need to get out and do some caching!

The buried thing does actually bother me. Does buried mean it has to be soil thats on top of it because most of my caches Ive found have been buried in some way. lol They werent under soil but buried under rocks or leaves or debris or greenery or something. If I was buried alive under anything else other than soil I wouldnt be adverse to people saying I was buried alive (even if it was under rocks). In fact if the caches ive found werent buried they would be plain to see and open to the elements and muggles!!

Claire xx

The buried thing does actually bother me. Does buried mean it has to be soil thats on top of it because most of my caches Ive found have been buried in some way. lol

OK, you're testing me, right? :ph34r: And doing a very good job of it, indeed!

Sorry, but to answer that question in this thread would be totally off-topic. Since buried caches has already been listed in this thread as a "Dead Horse" topic, you can probably guess that it has been discussed before, and that a forum search would probably be a good idea. At the very least, though, starting a new thread on that new topic would be appropriate.

Whew!! :ph34r: How'd I do?

The buried thing does actually bother me. Does buried mean it has to be soil thats on top of it because most of my caches Ive found have been buried in some way. lol

OK, you're testing me, right? :P And doing a very good job of it, indeed!

Sorry, but to answer that question in this thread would be totally off-topic. Since buried caches has already been listed in this thread as a "Dead Horse" topic, you can probably guess that it has been discussed before, and that a forum search would probably be a good idea. At the very least, though, starting a new thread on that new topic would be appropriate.

Nicely done. However you could have also given her a link to my very similar question which was answered by Renegade Knight. :ph34r:

Carolyn

OK, you're testing me, right? :P And doing a very good job of it, indeed!

Nicely done. However you could have also given her a link to my very similar question which was answered by Renegade Knight. :ph34r:

Carolyn

Use the pointy object test - if you don't need to use one or something simmiler to create a hole then the chances are that it's ok.

Hi Ya

Ive just posted on that. My goodness them commandments are tough. I will stick to christianity and be a geocaching hethen at that rate!! lol

Ive added a commandment which you may find funny.

I just had a sneaky search back at the original posts of the instigators of this topic and its amazing, they asked about the very same things when they started. That being said a lot of these guys have been here for years so I know its gotta be tough seeing the same topics arise. But its a geocaching forum, what are we going to speak about?? carpentary?

Claire xx

As a newbie, I actually like taking part in these discussions, if you dont then just live and let live and ignore them.

All the same though, thanks for giving me a clickable list so that I now can read previous opinions.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

If someone doesn't want to read or reply to the post, then they should pass it by.

By the same token, some folks might find a clickable list useful, especially if they want to the general opinion of the group earlier, rather than later.

I'm very glad that you brought that up, because with all due respect, your link posts often come off as one of the least friendly. I really don't believe that is your intent...

Kit Fox produes the kind of results that most of us wish the built-in search engine would produce. Perhaps he needs to open a new account under a new name (eg: "Search Fox") and we could pretend he is our own special geocaching search engine.

I'm still waiting for someone to successfully come up with an appropriate verb like we had with Markwell to describe the ability (and willingness) to dig out relevant threads. I can only imagine how long that takes.

I'm very glad that you brought that up, because with all due respect, your link posts often come off as one of the least friendly. I really don't believe that is your intent...

Kit Fox produes the kind of results that most of us wish the built-in search engine would produce. Perhaps he needs to open a new account under a new name (eg: "Search Fox") and we could pretend he is our own special geocaching search engine.

I'm still waiting for someone to successfully come up with an appropriate verb like we had with Markwell to describe the ability (and willingness) to dig out relevant threads. I can only imagine how long that takes.

Whats really cool is that kit fox provides a list to almost any thread. So, instead of using a search engine, just post a question and wait for KF to provide the results.

Just think.... We could have all kinds of threads with One question and KFs list as the reply.

It's the same as saying we don't need the forums. Every topic has been covered already.

While KF might think he's doing a service, I have yet to click on a single link he provides. Why? Because I think it's arrogant and lofty for him to do what he does. Does that imply I think he should stop doing it? Not at all. It's a public forum and for him to add links ad nauseum is just fine by me.

I have yet to click on a single link he provides. Why? Because I think it's arrogant and lofty for him to do what he does. Does that imply I think he should stop doing it?

Yes. Actually I think it does more than imply it.

Providing links to past discussions is a service. Some people will use it, some won't. If I was new to a forum and asked a question that had been discussed many times, I'd want to know that. I wouldn't want anyone to suggest I was a moron for not knowing it was on the dead horse list but otherwise it would be fine by me. I've never seen those links kill a discussion. If forum regulars want to discuss the same topic again, they will regardless.

It's been said many time that's there are no new topics here. If we didn't cover old ground fairly frequently the forums would be a very quiet place indeed.

I have yet to click on a single link he provides. Why? Because I think it's arrogant and lofty for him to do what he does. Does that imply I think he should stop doing it?

Yes. Actually I think it does more than imply it.

Providing links to past discussions is a service. Some people will use it, some won't. If I was new to a forum and asked a question that had been discussed many times, I'd want to know that. I wouldn't want anyone to suggest I was a moron for not knowing it was on the dead horse list but otherwise it would be fine by me. I've never seen those links kill a discussion. If forum regulars want to discuss the same topic again, they will regardless.

It's been said many time that's there are no new topics here. If we didn't cover old ground fairly frequently the forums would be a very quiet place indeed.

On the contrary. I don't, in any way, suggest he stop posting the links. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I think it should be gone. I have much tolerance and empathy for things I don't like. In other words, I see how things could be good for others even though I find them useless and/or boring.

But its a geocaching forum, what are we going to speak about?? carpentry?

Not only that, but plumbing, metalworking, masonry, casting metal, and some other crafts as well. I kid you not, these topics have all come up in the past.

Regarding making geocache containers and / or camouflaging them, of course :ph34r:

While KF might think he's doing a service, I have yet to click on a single link he provides.

I like the links and I do click on them.

I like them too. I don't click on all of them all the time, of course, but on those that catch my interest. I guess Über Geniuses don't need them, but some of us plebes do find them useful.

While KF might think he's doing a service, I have yet to click on a single link he provides.

I like them too. I don't click on all of them all the time, of course, but on those that catch my interest. I guess Über Geniuses don't need them, but some of us plebes do find them useful.

Hmm, was that necessary?

Does my recent link to previous threads seem polite, and lacking a snarky tone for those that think i'm too rude?

Not to me, it doesn't. I think the main difference between a snarky link post and a friendly link post is the introduction. If it sounds like "yawn... here we go again ", then it will read as snarky. If it reads like "Hey, bud... this might help you out a lot quicker than waiting for all of us to sort it out"... friendly and helpful.

Does my recent link to previous threads seem polite, and lacking a snarky tone for those that think i'm too rude?

Not to me, it doesn't. I think the main difference between a snarky link post and a friendly link post is the introduction. If it sounds like "yawn... here we go again ", then it will read as snarky. If it reads like "Hey, bud... this might help you out a lot quicker than waiting for all of us to sort it out"... friendly and helpful.

It appears to me that you are looking for a "bone to pick", and it doesn't matter how I word it. :ph34r:

It appears to me that you are looking for a "bone to pick", and it doesn't matter how I word it. :ph34r:

I think that you misread my post. I said that I thought that the link post that you asked about did NOT come across as "snarky". How is that trying to pick a bone?

Hmm, was that necessary?

Referring to me calling you a genius, or your original comment on Kit Fox?

sometimes it's good to respond live to a newbie asking an old question. other times you've made your best, most thoughtful response to the old question already and only wish to provide the link.

there aren't any new ideas, even though some people think their idea is fresh and brand-spankin' new.

i maintain that it is useful to respond AND to provide links and quotes from old threads.

i read FAQs. i use search functions. sometimes a question is best live.

people who are offended that their question has been discussed before are most in need of being markwelled.

besides, if new people don't come and open up old debates, how will we continue to discuss them? it's not like we don't all LIKE the old debates.

Ive no probablem as a newbie with links being provided as long as the person dosent make me feel stupid because its been discussed at the time when I wasnt even a member. The links probably will help me but if someone just replys with the link and nothing else or better still starts up a completely new topic with links that they think should be made dead horse topics then its like make fun of the newbies that dont know its been discussed already.

And yet we find out that Dead Horses are more a dead horse than any of the dead horses in the first place. Thanks for the links Chad. I was trying to search for those links myself but unfortunately the search engine didnt like the word Dead.

Claire xx

And yet we find out that Dead Horses are more a dead horse than any of the dead horses in the first place. Thanks for the links Chad. I was trying to search for those links myself but unfortunately the search engine didnt like the word Dead.

I put "Dead Horses" in quotes, which makes it 11 characters. The search engine is quite happy with that. And then I set it to only search for those words in the titles.

I put "Dead Horses" in quotes, which makes it 11 characters. The search engine is quite happy with that. And then I set it to only search for those words in the titles.

You learn something new every day. I had no clue that quotation marks would do the trick. I did here someone saying you could search through google but completely forgot what they said and couldnt remember were it was. :ph34r::lol:

Claire xx

Ahhh, so that's the trick that no one mentions when it comes to searching with less than 5 letter words. I hate to say it Chad, but you done let the cat out of the bag............

BTW, is that trick in the FAQ or stickied anywhere?

It is written somewhere and I think it works something like:

site:geocachers.hiddinginahedge.org.uk search term

Ive no probablem as a newbie with links being provided as long as the person dosent make me feel stupid because its been discussed at the time when I wasnt even a member. The links probably will help me but if someone just replys with the link and nothing else or better still starts up a completely new topic with links that they think should be made dead horse topics then its like make fun of the newbies that dont know its been discussed already.

Claire xx

That does require a little thought when you are trying to point someone to the FAQ, and I do so because not everyone spots it , I have to admit I don't that oftem look at the stickys.

But by linking directly to the topic in the FAQ along the lines of: yes you can do that have a look at this topiic in FAQ insted of If you look at the FAQ the answer is there, it's about how you write your post not what is in it.

Ahhh, so that's the trick that no one mentions when it comes to searching with less than 5 letter words. I hate to say it Chad, but you done let the cat out of the bag............

BTW, is that trick in the FAQ or stickied anywhere?

It is written somewhere and I think it works something like:

site:geocachers.hiddinginahedge.org.uk search term

Exactly. Or, you can do the same thing using Google's Advanced Search page. Put "forums.Groundspeak.com" in the "Search within a site or domain" box.