Thanks for all the great earthcaches

geodarts

I was skimming various topics during lunch and came across a post from someone who said that they would not drive 20 miles out of their way for an earthcache. I did not feel like that needed an immediate reply, but I am just the opposite. I have enough tradiitonal smileys. I want caching to take me to new places, show me new things. Particularly if I am traveling with my non-caching family. So 20 miles out of the way for one does not seem far to me.

So I would like to thank people for all the earthcaches on a recent trip we took from Vegas through Zion and Bryce. TerryDad2 was very helpful in answering our questions about certain trails before we left and got us into areas of Zion -- Kolob and Lava Point -- that I probably would not have visited on this trip. The earthcache at Babylon took us miles down a dirt road that made us glad the rental did not have any lower clearance and showed us beautiful red rock formations and pillars of basalt that I never would have visited otherwise. The Bryce Canyon earthcache was as close to a religious experience as I have had lately, and we probably would not have done that particular hike if it had not invited us into the canyon. Others simply got us to stop and take a new look at the world.

I am not much of a geologist (or any kind of scientist) and have been known to scour the web to help me answer a questions to understand what I have seen. Even if the answer may not always be right. But it has helped me to think about the world and the powerful forces at work around us. And to learn things that I can pass on to my daughter.

So after reading about various controversies regarding photos, logging, and other subjects, I thought it nice to sit back and think about what earthcaches have brought me.

I was skimming various topics during lunch and came across a post from someone who said that they would not drive 20 miles out of their way for an earthcache. I did not feel like that needed an immediate reply, but I am just the opposite. I have enough tradiitonal smileys. I want caching to take me to new places, show me new things. Particularly if I am traveling with my non-caching family. So 20 miles out of the way for one does not seem far to me.

So I would like to thank people for all the earthcaches on a recent trip we took from Vegas through Zion and Bryce. TerryDad2 was very helpful in answering our questions about certain trails before we left and got us into areas of Zion -- Kolob and Lava Point -- that I probably would not have visited on this trip. The earthcache at Babylon took us miles down a dirt road that made us glad the rental did not have any lower clearance and showed us beautiful red rock formations and pillars of basalt that I never would have visited otherwise. The Bryce Canyon earthcache was as close to a religious experience as I have had lately, and we probably would not have done that particular hike if it had not invited us into the canyon. Others simply got us to stop and take a new look at the world.

I am not much of a geologist (or any kind of scientist) and have been known to scour the web to help me answer a questions to understand what I have seen. Even if the answer may not always be right. But it has helped me to think about the world and the powerful forces at work around us. And to learn things that I can pass on to my daughter.

So after reading about various controversies regarding photos, logging, and other subjects, I thought it nice to sit back and think about what earthcaches have brought me.

It'snice to hear a plesant voice once in a while. Thanks. :(

.... I want caching to take me to new places, show me new things. Particularly if I am traveling with my non-caching family....

So I would like to thank people for all the earthcaches on a recent trip ....

This is a great thread to start. I have been using earthcaches as the main destination points on our roadtrips for about a year and a half now. When we travel, we certainly enjoy picking up many traditional caches along the way, but I often don't know the area enough to find those gorgeous, out of the way spots. Basing the trip around earthcache stops and time to explore and walk around has made many a successful trip for me and my family.

Terry Dad, CavScout, AirRaidFan!, ARF! Run&Hike, brownout and PARacers are some of the developers we have come across most often in our travels, but there are many others to thank as well.

THANK YOU.

We haven't even done our first Earthcache and I completely agree. I think the world around us is fascinating and I want to see as much of it as possible. We are just starting out but knowing my family we will probably do more Earthcaches and Waymarking than Traditional geocaching. Unless the geocache happens to be near some neat attraction.

For us geocaching will be something to do "along the way" but an Earthcache could be the destination and reason for the trip.

Thanks to everyone who has put the effort into creating them - ECs, GCs and WMs!!

We haven't even done our first Earthcache and I completely agree. I think the world around us is fascinating and I want to see as much of it as possible. We are just starting out but knowing my family we will probably do more Earthcaches and Waymarking than Traditional geocaching. Unless the geocache happens to be near some neat attraction.

For us geocaching will be something to do "along the way" but an Earthcache could be the destination and reason for the trip.

Thanks to everyone who has put the effort into creating them - ECs, GCs and WMs!!

With all the controversy, these kind of threads are nice. The emphasis is on 'kind'!

It was natural for Marge and I to gravitate toward ECs because of our love of nature, anything in nature. including her geological wonders. We completed a waterfall traditional series in southwest Virginia called Fallin' For Virginia. These are 18 different waterfalls that are easily found but seldom known. Well, when EarthCaches came along it perked interest. Of all the courses in college wouldn't you know, not one was in geology. I took an on-line course and met a friend who is a PhD geologist who gives aid. That's how the bug bit us. We don't do ECs for our gratification but we are greatly gratified when someone visits one of our ECs and enjoys what is there. :ph34r:

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge