PDA? HELP?

fisnjack

I don't think this is the right spot for this question but I couldn't find out anything on the tech site. I plan on buying a new gps to replace the ones that were stolen. I loved my 60CSX with a Palm when the Palms crashed again and again (4) I bought the Oregon. The Oregons accuracy left much to be desired so all I was using it for was a PDA. Now I'm thinking of coupling a 60 CSX with an Itouch with the geoc app. The Itouch is MAC instead of Widows based. Anyone out there using this combo and if so how is it working? :(

I don't think this is the right spot for this question but I couldn't find out anything on the tech site. I plan on buying a new gps to replace the ones that were stolen. I loved my 60CSX with a Palm when the Palms crashed again and again (4) I bought the Oregon. The Oregons accuracy left much to be desired so all I was using it for was a PDA. Now I'm thinking of coupling a 60 CSX with an Itouch with the geoc app. The Itouch is MAC instead of Widows based. Anyone out there using this combo and if so how is it working? :(

The Itouch needs internet to use the app and you can only wireless on. I tride to buy internet and you can't.

The Itouch needs internet to use the app and you can only wireless on. I tride to buy internet and you can't.

There may be a way to view GPX files offline on your iTouch, check this thread

Good luck!

I don't think this is the right spot for this question but I couldn't find out anything on the tech site. I plan on buying a new gps to replace the ones that were stolen. I loved my 60CSX with a Palm when the Palms crashed again and again (4) I bought the Oregon. The Oregons accuracy left much to be desired so all I was using it for was a PDA. Now I'm thinking of coupling a 60 CSX with an Itouch with the geoc app. The Itouch is MAC instead of Widows based. Anyone out there using this combo and if so how is it working? :ph34r:

Good luck!

iPhone only.

I don't think this is the right spot for this question but I couldn't find out anything on the tech site. I plan on buying a new gps to replace the ones that were stolen. I loved my 60CSX with a Palm when the Palms crashed again and again (4) I bought the Oregon. The Oregons accuracy left much to be desired so all I was using it for was a PDA. Now I'm thinking of coupling a 60 CSX with an Itouch with the geoc app. The Itouch is MAC instead of Widows based. Anyone out there using this combo and if so how is it working? :ph34r:

:ph34r: What do you need a PDA for? As long as you have a GPSr and a cell phone with Chuy!'s number you'll be ok...trust me it works... :ph34r: And keeping track of your finds? John and "Lostguy" carry a little spiral notebook! You'll save TONs of money.

Okay, then. iGeocacher claims to support the iTouch: http://www.ayefon.com/geo/

Go to the "next page" link at the bottom, I can't seem to link to that page.

D!

Edited by Duncan!

D!

I think you have to have internet/wifi near you for it to work on the iTouch.

D!

I think you have to have internet/wifi near you for it to work on the iTouch.

Seems that way. FJ, I have a couple of old pocket PCs, if you want one they run GPX Sonar just fine. Lemme know. Funny they don't seem to have an offline reader for the iPhone/ iTouch.

D!

Good luck!

iPhone only.

No, it isn't iPhone only, not at least for use as a PDA replacement. You can view offline GPX files with the geocaching application on an iPod Touch. Unfortunately, the v2.2 version of the geocaching app has a bug that breaks this functionality for some users, and not others. It will likely be resolved shortly. Here is a thread about it:

iPod Touch Thread

With a proper case, I think the iPod Touch would be really useful as a field PDA. The Mac/PC issue isn't a problem, as iTunes is crossplatform. By the way, have you been trying out the beta SW versions for the Oregon? The latest beta version is 3.01, and I've found the overall accuracy has been steadily improving with each release. I'm very happy with my Oregon lately running 3.01. Maybe you don't even need a companion PDA afterall?

Oregon Wiki

Good Luck!

Tony

Edited by bitmap

Good luck!

iPhone only.

No, it isn't iPhone only, not at least for use as a PDA replacement. You can view offline GPX files with the geocaching application on an iPod Touch. Unfortunately, the v2.2 version of the geocaching app has a bug that breaks this functionality for some users, and not others. It will likely be resolved shortly. Here is a thread about it:

iPod Touch Thread

With a proper case, I think the iPod Touch would be really useful as a field PDA. The Mac/PC issue isn't a problem, as iTunes is crossplatform. By the way, have you been trying out the beta SW versions for the Oregon? The latest beta version is 3.01, and I've found the overall accuracy has been steadily improving with each release. I'm very happy with my Oregon lately running 3.01. Maybe you don't even need a companion PDA afterall?

Oregon Wiki

Good Luck!

Tony

Are you guys talking about the geocaching app. If so how does that work so you can use the pqs on the touch if you don't have internet.

Are you guys talking about the geocaching app. If so how does that work so you can use the pqs on the touch if you don't have internet.

Yes, I am talking about the Geocaching application for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

"Offline GPX" access means that you can load a PQ while you have internet access (via wi-fi on the iPod Touch), but can then access that GPX data when you don't have internet access since it has been saved locally to your device.

-Tony

Yes, I am talking about the Geocaching application for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

"Offline GPX" access means that you can load a PQ while you have internet access (via wi-fi on the iPod Touch), but can then access that GPX data when you don't have internet access since it has been saved locally to your device.

-Tony

Well I just bought a new Oregon and with a little work have all the maps installed. I got to try it out yesterday and it worked very well. And as long as I have Dillweed along there was no need for a lifeline call to Chuy. Hardly needed to look up the hints. GFETE