Annoying things about Geocaching

GEO936

Haa haa, no problem Gerhard. I understand fully as I explained work can be quite intrusive into our caching lives. But what can we do. Work got in my way this weekend so I have to just twiddle my thumbs and hope it isn't gonna bother me. Then next weekend a trip to the GP to meet the masses and maybe do a cache or two.... or three or ten or twenty.... hee hee.... 400 looms large on my horizon.

Camouflaged bison tubes hidden on the top of Karoo koppies, hanging from knee high bushes! Micro's on top of koppies, why?

Agreed! Looking forward to your DNF on that one....LoL

You will soon! There were 2 of those, both camouflaged micro's that we didn't find. One of them was a Multi to add a bit more frustration to our already dwindling sense of humour!

Thankfully we did find the third micro, also on top of a koppie. :)

Rodents annoy me! :)

What about TERMITES!!! Twice in the last 3 weeks I have encountered cache containers filled with termites, "mud" and precious little else that is edible for termites! And all this in the middle of the summer in the middle of a desert! Where on earth do they come from and how do they survive in the heat?

Rodents annoy me! :)

What about TERMITES!!! Twice in the last 3 weeks I have encountered cache containers filled with termites, "mud" and precious little else that is edible for termites! And all this in the middle of the summer in the middle of a desert! Where on earth do they come from and how do they survive in the heat?

Tip - spray the outside of your cache container with a mozzie repellant like peaceful sleep, and kiss that problem good-bye. :D

Cachers who don't maintain their caches annoy us!! Grrrr :P ....we did two this past weekend. The first one had a logbook/sheet that was completely falling apart and wet. We managed to put our name on it, but had to pick up pieces of the soiled logbook and carefully put it all back. We didn't have a spare logbook (it was a micro), so couldn't do anything about the problem. Then the second one has probably been muggled but the owner has done nothing about it. Then we found out that the cache owner has moved to live in the Western Cape!! No wonder he can't maintain the cache....he's more than 1000km away! More grrrr. :ph34r: We know that sometimes we take a bit of time to sort out our caches here and there, but we always ensure to add notes and updates frequently to keep other cachers informed of the status.

The main problem with caches that are not maintained at all but are still active, is that they are hogging a possible new and better hide by another geocacher. So, no one can place a new cache in a better spot until that one has been archived!

There is one thing that is annoying – nanos. Most people do not understand how they work and they place the log incorrectly and that is quite annoying when it takes longer to get it out then to find them. Sometimes it is a huge struggle to get it out. This is the correct steps that work for me. Feel free to correct me or to educate me if I have it wrong. No – leave that stones alone. :P

1. The log fits nicely in the head.

2. Inside the log there is a small metal strip.

3. You unscrew the head and the log is in the head.

4. You now use the body (the bigger part) which contains the magnet to pull the log out of the head with the help of the little metal strip inside the log.

5. When you replace the log make sure that it is back in the head for the next cacher. (the smaller part)

I found nanos where the magnetic strip is removed and others are squashed inside when the head is screwed back onto the body. Some of the logs were made smaller and then it no longer fits properly in the head. This is still ok as the log will just drop out by itself. When I start to struggle then it is normally the time I want to place it in my slingshot and see how far a nano can travel. I hope some one understands what I am trying to say. Gerhard

This is annoying. I had to request a cacher to immediately archive his cache. I found at the same location 9 mm bullets in a holder that looked like a cache. It was only when I opened this “cache” that I found the ammunition. I removed the ammunition from the location.

What is very upsetting is that it is not the fault of the owner of this cache. However this cache now presents a safety risk to an innocent cacher visiting this one. This ammunition was not stored by a law biding citizen. B) This was stored by a criminal and it is objective is unknown. All I can say is that this person did not stash this ammo for a Sunday picnic. The criminals could soon discover that their “cache” is muggled and they could be watching this area. Any cacher scratching around in this area could be in serious trouble and they could target him. I am sorry cache owner but there is no choice when it comes to safety. Another good cache is now gone. Gerhard

Cache in Question

I remember doing that one too Gerhard. I felt it was in a slightly dodgy park. Didn't quite feel all that safe there... Some guy was sitting round near the entrance and I only felt more at ease when another guy showed up with his dog to go for a walk that I felt more at ease. Hope you informed the police.

Wazat, we actually kept it away from the police. How do I explain this? “Yes, I was there to find a cache and then I found something but this was not I wanted to find”.

“I think you are the one we need to watch… your guys stash things for others to find… you find it and now you complain… please explain geocaching to us…. I think we have a long time to discuss this issue…why did you find it Pretoria but you hand it in at Ermelo… tell us again what you were doing there on your knees scratching around in a tree trunk in a deserted park late at night….do you think this is normal behaviour…what were you planning to do with the ammo…is the word cache not something to do with weapons and ammo…can we have your finger prints…let us start from the top”.

We got it away from the criminals; the reviewer disabled the cache immediately and the cache owner responded quickly. The risk is now removed and we done the right thing. I am glad this is resolved. But it is stay annoying and I feel sorry that I had to act on this.

Gerhard

This is annoying. I had to request a cacher to immediately archive his cache. I found at the same location 9 mm bullets in a holder that looked like a cache. It was only when I opened this “cache” that I found the ammunition. I removed the ammunition from the location.

What is very upsetting is that it is not the fault of the owner of this cache. However this cache now presents a safety risk to an innocent cacher visiting this one. This ammunition was not stored by a law biding citizen. :D This was stored by a criminal and it is objective is unknown. All I can say is that this person did not stash this ammo for a Sunday picnic. The criminals could soon discover that their “cache” is muggled and they could be watching this area. Any cacher scratching around in this area could be in serious trouble and they could target him. I am sorry cache owner but there is no choice when it comes to safety. Another good cache is now gone. Gerhard

Cache in Question

Wow thats quite dramatic :laughing:

Not sure if the police would have reacted quite as you described though :laughing:

Never to hear back from a cache owner after taking the trouble to mail a cache owner regarding issues concerning their cache - be it that there is a problem like broken container, full logbook or appearing to be missing. I dont expect a novel in reply but a simple "thanks - will check it out" will suffice.

"mountain micros" - what is the point?

"pointless caches" - show me something, teach me something, test my mind to its limits with a puzzle, test my abilities with a well disguised container, but please dont send me to a pointless place for no reason.

All right, while we are having an adult discussion of our complaints, let me add my 2 cents:

Loooong stories copied and pasted directly from Wikipedia. Just add a link to the relevant info. In the cache description I need the meat of the CACHE, not all the other stuff. That is what html links was invented for.

Please use the provided fields for additional waypoints (parking, lookout points etc.) not buried deep inbetween the pasted wikipedia stuff.

There, I feel much better. Thanks!

PS: Anybody else slightly worried about this log?

All right, while we are having an adult discussion of our complaints, let me add my 2 cents:

Loooong stories copied and pasted directly from Wikipedia. Just add a link to the relevant info. In the cache description I need the meat of the CACHE, not all the other stuff. That is what html links was invented for.

Please use the provided fields for additional waypoints (parking, lookout points etc.) not buried deep inbetween the pasted wikipedia stuff.

There, I feel much better. Thanks!

WOW - this is certainly NOT what we need to see in any log on any cache anywhere in the world!! :( The fact that it is in South Africa, or Johannesburg to be more precise, is even worse. I do not have any ideas how to address it either.

WOW - this is certainly NOT what we need to see in any log on any cache anywhere in the world!! :( The fact that it is in South Africa, or Johannesburg to be more precise, is even worse. I do not have any ideas how to address it either.

Well, to be honest, this could be just a freak "accident". I was mugged on my bike not too long ago, in a park where children often play, and people go for walks. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, just bad luck. This might be the same situation. When I did that cache it seemed pretty safe. (As safe as any public place can be in SA anyway...)

Still, I'll keep my eyes a bit more open in future...

It is quite a shocker to read about Tumble Bug’s log. They only have 5 finds and they are cachers for less than a month. They must now replace cell phones, GPS equipment and all the rest. Not a good introduction to geocaching. Last Sunday I entered a park in Sandton and I immediately notice three of them sitting under a tree watching me. My gut feeling just said “walk away” - I turned around and I left immediately as their was something else in the air.

This just highlights my point that I raised previously. In 2011 you will get cachers from overseas exploring Gauteng and they could get themselves in huge trouble. In the present economic climate this is getting worse and more of these incidents will be on the table. How are we going to manage this is the question.

Our factory was hit 4 times by armed gun men with Ak 47’s in the last year. The assault of one of the guards was video taped and on this video you can clearly see that life is worth nothing to them. Twice they took aim at the one guard.

I know of 4 cachers that was muggled in the past. This is now number 5. We are about 500 cachers so the ratio is about 100:1. Out of a 100 cachers one will be robbed.

Gerhard

What an awful thing to happen!! We really feel terrible for Tumble Bug! Being mugged was the last straw for Crystal Fairy, and they decided to emmigrate!

We have posted a note on the cache requesting that the cache owner (GlobalRat) archives the cache and that Fish Eagle (Voluntary Reviewer) makes a note that this spot is a "no-go" area for any future cache hiders.

From Tumble Bug's log, it seems that those horrible youths knew exactly what was going on, so the spot is not safe for geocaching.

Gerhard - you are absolutely right - we have to take great care when we go out caching especially with all the equipment a geocacher carries!

Edited by GEO936

From Tumble Bug's log, it seems that those horrible youths knew exactly what was going on, so the spot is not safe for geocaching.

The MO is most concerning. Let's hope that this unfortunate incident is random and not something more sinister. Nevertheless, the cache is archived and another scenic urban walk scratched off the list :(

Oh no, bad news indeed. It worries me that this happens as many times a cacher is out alone looking for caches, most times with no-one elses knowledge. I hope that the police were informed of why the cachers were out there and that this site can be watched for future reference. Maybe even set up a hit on the cache site and catch these guys while acting as undercover cops out "geocaching" ....

No doubt these bastards will be scouting the area and hoping they can mug someone else.

I think GR done the correct thing and Wazat is correct in his assumption. They used the cache as a decoy to attract people to it. If a cache do get muggled it will not be placed on top of a rock, it get strewn around and most of the times it is gone. They will try again and the cache is out of the equation. I guess this is one of the cases where geo litter must be tolerated. Stay clear of this area. This cache was there for a long time. It is sad.

This one also has a hidden message. If you get to an area where the cache is muggled and it is all over the area get away as fast as possible as a precaution. Do not hang around. Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Did a cache recently where the hint said that the cache is under the rocks..... Problem is that there was about 2000 small rocks all lying in a big pile together.... Took a while to find it but it still felt like a waste of time...

That's what the GPS is for. Don't look at the rocks. Find the cache by Lat and Long coordinates.

Don't you just love it when you get a DNF on an EARTHCACHE!!! See my Pilanesberg EarthCache - the latest log.

I sent a polite e-mail explaining that EarthCaches don't have containers that you look for!

Yes, I saw that one .... and while I was chuckling I meant to email you about it, but then thought that the newbies logged incorrectly. They obviously didn't even read the listing and just blindly posted a DNF! Is this something you would want to delete? Or leave it on there for a laugh?

................. Is this something you would want to delete? Or leave it on there for a laugh?

I will never delete anything that has been logged on any of my sites. I feel that this is a game of honour and those who play it otherwise have only their concience to answer to. I have had a few cases of people logging or "claiming" EC finds that do not send an e-mail. Maybe they just forgot or they were not there at all - who knows? Funnily enough all those cases have been on the same EC - Pilanesberg!

I have deleted a few "Finds" off EC's - but only after sending numerous messages to the cacher to remind them to send the answers.

I feel it is unfair to thaose guys that really work hard to get their EC Masters.

But I can only think of 1 log that it actually came to that in a good few 100 finds on my ECs. So fortunately the absolute minority

Muggles with long fingers annoys me...

You do all the effort to put a cache out... Nice HTML listing, carefully planned waypoints, cool spot for the cache.

Spend the dough on the container and camouflage. Stock it with some decent swag... The whole nine yards...

All goes well for a while... You even go back and improve the cache container...

And then some IDIOT who cares absolutely nothing about anything stumbles onto it... I bet he even reads the logs and the cool laminated read-me... And what does he do... Steal all the swag, to do what with I don't know. If you are lucky he will throw your container down just there at GZ on his way to where ever he will go and brag with his STUPID act of pillage...

And the most annoying of all... He gets to hang 3 travelbugs on the back of his kitchen door... Real nice...

I've got only one question to you mr Muggle....

"Are you a professional Idiot, or just a gifted amateur?"

O.K. Now that I vented I feel better...

Tomorrow I'll start thinking about getting the cache up and running again...

Ha Henzz, I feel your pain.

After hiding quite a few, I am finally starting to refine my placement checklist:

- will a muggle find this spot on their own?

- will it be possible for a muggle to ever see a cacher retrieving the cache (Caches can be so brilliantly hidden, but some poor sucker with a GPS is sure to lead the muggle to the cache one day)?

- will it be found by a cleaning or painting crew?

- will be found by baboons?

- will it get burnt?

- will it get washed away? (Is it above the flood level)

- will it be blown off?

- will it get buried?

- when plants die, will it become exposed?

Generally, can I reasonably expect the cache to be there in 20 years time?

It's almost impossible to meet all my requirements, particularly in urban environments, so my cache placements are dropping off sharply. :)

I am finally starting to refine my placement checklist:

Thanks for the pointers Colin...

Definitely something to keep in mind...

Thinking more rationally this morning, maybe I was a bit harsh with my previous post...

Guess there is a lesson to be learned there...

Maybe that was not the best spot for a cache...

What got to me the most was the lost Travelbugs...

But it is just a game in the end, and sending travelers out into the big wide world does have some risk to it...

The best one could hope for is that they could have a good run before they eventually go missing...

Henzz - sorry for the loss

CapeDoc - I agree with all your considerations regarding cache placement.

I also try consider how the area might look in a few years time. An area that is ideal today might not look the same in a few years and might not be an enjoyable caching location after a few years decay.

Would a cacher enjoy the cache or walk away thinking "what was the point?"

To me it seems that one of the biggest causes of mugglings is being spotted by people who might not be easily noticeable to the cacher. Picture it from the muggles point of view - they are lying/sitting/relaxing under their usual tree/ bush and along comes a person/group of people and start scratching around (clearly looking for something), they find "something", inevitably pull it out and look for a comfortable place to open it up and write a log, take something out, put something in and then look cautiously around before going to replace it. I think that sometimes we overlook the fact that purely by being in an area makes us suspicious - if it be in a kids play park or an area on the urban fringes that might be frequented by homeless people - just the fact that we "dont fit in" makes us stand out - no matter how cautiously we might retrieve or replace the cache, just like a homeless person in you local GPS store would draw attention. This is probably part of the reason that mountain caches get muggled less often - we blend in.

I have been toying with the idea of placing a cache at the abandoned Rhodes / Groote Schuur zoo, but am also concerned about all these things.

So far the pro's I have thought of include:

1. Show people a place that they might not have known about/ have not been to.

2. History - originally built by Rhodes as a private zoo in 1897

3. Bring back memories of people who were there in its prime/ let people imagine how it would have looked.

4. I have found the plans on how it originally looked.

5. Easily accessible with nearby parking.

Cons

1. Signs of people living/ have lived there and all the mess that comes along with that.

2. Cache / cacher safety.

3. How rapidly the area might decay further.

So now I can

1. Forget about it.

2. Place a regular, explain my concerns, adjust the terrain and difficulty accordingly and hope for the best.

3. Make it a multi/ unknown with the cache itself placed in a safer location, but having to go to the zoo location to get numbers for co-ords.

If the place was just another of many others it would be a no brainer, I dont want to waste peoples time.

Any ideas?

512075867_1fe4cbf1c9.jpg2764488785_76e1ff240e.jpg2592519808_c314273c1f.jpg

th_2592472654_3ca00492da_b.jpg

It's almost impossible to meet all my requirements, particularly in urban environments, so my cache placements are dropping off sharply. :)

That is the reason why so many cachers who have played this game for many years, now place caches less frequently these days.

After replacing many of our original caches a few times we have just given up and archive.

Once a muggle has found a spot he is likely to return and even a boring film cannister with only a piece of paper in it will disappear. Why? One cannot even begin to think the reason for this.

I have been toying with the idea of placing a cache at the abandoned Rhodes / Groote Schuur zoo, but am also concerned about all these things.

So far the pro's I have thought of include:

1. Show people a place that they might not have known about/ have not been to.

2. History - originally built by Rhodes as a private zoo in 1897

3. Bring back memories of people who were there in its prime/ let people imagine how it would have looked.

4. I have found the plans on how it originally looked.

5. Easily accessible with nearby parking.

Cons

1. Signs of people living/ have lived there and all the mess that comes along with that.

2. Cache / cacher safety.

3. How rapidly the area might decay further.

So now I can

1. Forget about it.

2. Place a regular, explain my concerns, adjust the terrain and difficulty accordingly and hope for the best.

3. Make it a multi/ unknown with the cache itself placed in a safer location, but having to go to the zoo location to get numbers for co-ords.

If the place was just another of many others it would be a no brainer, I dont want to waste peoples time.

Any ideas?

Don't overthink it - if you can't place a regular, plant a micro?

Jeez, I'm writing this for the 2nd time because I am on Mrs pooks' MaCCer, the posting got lost, and I don't know how to recover it.

Hennz, I feel your pain. Frankly, I don't understand humanity. Yesterday I was driving on the N2 to the airport watching people overtaking in the bus lane on the right and the yellow line on the left and said "what pigs" and then bethought myself and apologized to the pigs, because it is us humans that are the emabarrassment. I take grapes to the cellar and people will openly at the traffic lights, with a big smile on their face, grab grapes off the trailer without a moment's thought that the owner of the grapes is watching them. Many other people at the traffic lights will watch this spectacle with bemusement, as they think it has nothing to do with them. But it has everything to do with them, as we have a collective responsibility for our behaviour.

As a friend said yesterday, as we watch the volcano drama unfold: in a bisarre way it is almost a consoling reminder that we are actually not in control of this planet. Walking in the mountains also reminds one of this fact.

Back to practicalities. Malo I think your zoo cache is a great idea. It reminds me of Panda's cache of van Riebeecks hedge - a lot of history and development of consciencousness is involved there. Now you will have to be inventive with practical cache survival practices. Capedoc's offset technique has potential (with a clue or micro at the location to lead you to the final in a more secluded spot). A micro as the final is a bit of a cop-out or admission of defeat!

PS: You can see I have a lot of time on my hands. I was supposed to be in Wimbledon, but am here in Hermanus.

I agree with many of the comments about placing caches. It is a huge challenge with muggles, and the like. Often a multi or a mystery is the only way to place a cache, where the person goes to the spot which you wish to share with them, they gather the clues and then you send them to a secure spot to find the final cache.

We had to make a multi of a cache we wanted to place in Belfast. We wanted to share this beautiful church with everyone, but there was just no place for a cache at the church - not even a micro! So it is now a quick multi to get info at the church which will lead to a secluded spot to find the cache with goodies. Initially, we had hid the final opposite a row of houses, and that proved to be disasterous in a sleepy, small town. So we've now moved it in a non-inhabited stretch of road, which also happens to be on the way to another cache. Extra bonus.

There are cons to the multi idea. Many cachers ignore multis and mysteries when they want to grab a few caches as time is an issue. But for those that can do it, then it still works!

On the program called GSAK I include caches from Lesotho, Swaziland, Mozambique, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe in the default database.

This is where I am now. I have a total of 3862 caches not found by me. My problem right now is that I am surrounded and crowded by caches not available for a long time. It is most irritating to run queries and these unavailable and sick caches pop up every time and I have to filter this to get rid of them. Sometimes I run the wrong query and I then I have the lovely task to search for a cache that is not there since 2008, only to discover it later at home. This is when I turn into a Greek and start breaking plates. It does not put any smile on my face but that is my fault and “Daar is nie pille nie”.

To filter caches repeatedly, which are obviously not there, is a time wasting episode to say the least. I am busy with a cache a day and I update once a week. Then I have to run the macro Cache Cop to remove all the bad ones. Caches will be muggled, I accept that and it does happen to mine as well, but caches not available for longer than 6 months is serious. I am not even talking about the ones going for a year with more than 4 DNF's on it.

I run the macro called “Cache Cop” on the default database with the following criteria just to get a feel for the problem. Maybe this is only my perception that there is a problem so let us do the numbers and get all the facts – they do not lie.

1. Search the last 3 logs and

2. Select caches with recent “need maintenance logs” and

3. Select caches with an “Archived Request” and

4. Search caches disabled longer than 90 days not available and

5. Select caches with 3 DNF’s and

6. Cancel a DNF search with a found log.

Then I get the following results.

1. There are a total of 177 “available” caches that fulfil the above. :(

2. There are 88 of them which are marked as “Unavailable” and some of them have issues going back to 2008.

3. With children waypoints it adds to 232 waypoints to my database which is of zero value.

4. The results are not acceptable and the last GPX run date is 20/01/2011.

We now need to drill deeper. This is the worst ones but some of them is not close to me so I will turn a blind eye. But some of them are good examples.

GCVK5J – Last found on 30/11/2007. Disabled since 16/04/2010.

GCPJYZ - Last found 10/02/2008. Cache is disabled since 01/06/2010. (Owner will replace end of June 2010, nothing happened. He is in Scotland.)

GC1ME68 – Last found 19/05/2009, caches is disabled since 26/02/2010. (The log placed on 26/02/2010 states the following – “I checked the cache today. The cache was soaked due to heavy rains. It will be replaced soon!”) I can carry on with this list until the cows get home. :mad:

Unfortunately this is really irritating. Run the pocket queries once a week, filter out all the not so good ones, remove them, load my cell phone, load my GPS, load the other one and hope for the best. I am doing the following from next week.

1. I will contact each and every cache owner if there is a problem on his/her cache for more than 6 months. I will only do this on the caches close to me and which effects me. If a cache is in Cape Town it will not affect me so I have no say in that. I am focussing on the ones in a 300 km radius or in the area of any planned visits.

2. If the cache owner does not respond in 3 weeks than I will be replacing his cache and I will log a find on it. Only for caches with a problem of more than 6 months. I will turn a blind eye where it is clear that the owner is busy with some sort of action to resolve it.

For some cachers this is the ultimate sin but so be it. There is a policeman that will do back flips when he sees it and he will probably accuse me of cheating but this is one way to get rid of this irritation. I will do what is needed to get this done to get my database in shape. So from next week I will have a cache a day on all sick caches. This should boost my numbers considerable and should help to maintain a cache a day without too much of a search. If you see your cache being replaced with a micro in the form of a film canister please do not cry but take it on the chin.

Am I the only one that feels irritated or is it only me??? I hope to get some feedback. Right thing or wrong thing?

Gerhard

What annoys me more is that I normally drop an e-mail to the owner asking him for permission to replace. This is the right thing to do. Then it happens. No reply. So I go back to his profile just to notice that he is no longer there and the last log on was about 2 to 3 months ago.

What scares me is that the more caches I found around me the closer the red blocks get to my reference point. I had a specific strategy which was followed from day 1. The closest caches to me were left alone for a rainy day when I need them. I have many caches in a radius of 50 km and I am targeting 250 days caches in a row. In 50 days from now my database will consist of all red blocks from the reference point. That is getting frustrated as these caches have no right to exist.

I personally do not like to place an “Archive Cache”log – I will rather replace it. It feels like an insult to the owner and that I know it all. I am not aware of his/her personal circumstances so I would rather not do it. To highlight my viewpoint I need to explain the following. Just recently a certain cache owner received an “Archive cache” log. The cache owner was furious as I personally know that this owner is busy for the last 6 months and more to resolve this issue. As far as I am aware the Reviewers are also aware of the problem and they are giving him/her time to resolve. Which again is more than reasonable as this owner is trying his/her best to get it resolved and it does break the spirit of such a cacher for a short time and in this case it did more harm than good despite the fact that the intention was pure and solid.

If a person can not find my cache and he is sure that it is gone and he replaces it with another cache then it does not bother me. I hate DNF’s. But place a “Need Archive” log on one of my caches and I jump up and down on the chair. Rather tell me “Boet, get going and go fix this one”. If I receive an archive log than I stop reading further and I ignore it.

I also know of a couple of cachers that are expats – I will replace their caches with ease but I will still report back to them. I never had a problem.

My viewpoint is simple. You as the cache owner planted the cache – you fix it. I am not expecting the reviewer to run around 4000 caches to find one bad apple among 4000 of them.

At the next event I will do some cornering of a certain cacher here in GP. I know he is reading this so I will meet you at the next event - I noticed that you are attending. I do not want to identify this cacher but he traveled extensively all over the country and yet some of his caches 10 km away from his home are not available for more than 6 months. If it is 1 cache then so be it - but he have a number of them not available. Why are your cache appearing in my database as red blacks and with DNF’s and you are not fixing it. Why are you annoying me for a lack of ownership? So what is your problem? How can you drive 100’s of km to find caches but you can not fix your own cache on your doorstep. I will address this friendly at the event as I need to understand why this is happening and he must understand that I will replace his cache soon. First I need to make sure that he does not delete my logs as this will indicate a war if he breaks my 250 caches in a row target. I am done. Gerhard

On the program called GSAK I include caches from Lesotho, Swaziland, Mozambique, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe in the default database.

This is where I am now. I have a total of 3862 caches not found by me. My problem right now is that I am surrounded and crowded by caches not available for a long time. It is most irritating to run queries and these unavailable and sick caches pop up every time and I have to filter this to get rid of them. Sometimes I run the wrong query and I then I have the lovely task to search for a cache that is not there since 2008, only to discover it later at home. This is when I turn into a Greek and start breaking plates. It does not put any smile on my face but that is my fault and “Daar is nie pille nie”.

To filter caches repeatedly, which are obviously not there, is a time wasting episode to say the least. I am busy with a cache a day and I update once a week. Then I have to run the macro Cache Cop to remove all the bad ones. Caches will be muggled, I accept that and it does happen to mine as well, but caches not available for longer than 6 months is serious. I am not even talking about the ones going for a year with more than 4 DNF's on it.

I run the macro called “Cache Cop” on the default database with the following criteria just to get a feel for the problem. Maybe this is only my perception that there is a problem so let us do the numbers and get all the facts – they do not lie.

1. Search the last 3 logs and

2. Select caches with recent “need maintenance logs” and

3. Select caches with an “Archived Request” and

4. Search caches disabled longer than 90 days not available and

5. Select caches with 3 DNF’s and

6. Cancel a DNF search with a found log.

Then I get the following results.

1. There are a total of 177 “available” caches that fulfil the above. :(

2. There are 88 of them which are marked as “Unavailable” and some of them have issues going back to 2008.

3. With children waypoints it adds to 232 waypoints to my database which is of zero value.

4. The results are not acceptable and the last GPX run date is 20/01/2011.

We now need to drill deeper. This is the worst ones but some of them is not close to me so I will turn a blind eye. But some of them are good examples.

GCVK5J – Last found on 30/11/2007. Disabled since 16/04/2010.

GCPJYZ - Last found 10/02/2008. Cache is disabled since 01/06/2010. (Owner will replace end of June 2010, nothing happened. He is in Scotland.)

GC1ME68 – Last found 19/05/2009, caches is disabled since 26/02/2010. (The log placed on 26/02/2010 states the following – “I checked the cache today. The cache was soaked due to heavy rains. It will be replaced soon!”) I can carry on with this list until the cows get home. :mad:

Unfortunately this is really irritating. Run the pocket queries once a week, filter out all the not so good ones, remove them, load my cell phone, load my GPS, load the other one and hope for the best. I am doing the following from next week.

1. I will contact each and every cache owner if there is a problem on his/her cache for more than 6 months. I will only do this on the caches close to me and which effects me. If a cache is in Cape Town it will not affect me so I have no say in that. I am focussing on the ones in a 300 km radius or in the area of any planned visits.

2. If the cache owner does not respond in 3 weeks than I will be replacing his cache and I will log a find on it. Only for caches with a problem of more than 6 months. I will turn a blind eye where it is clear that the owner is busy with some sort of action to resolve it.

For some cachers this is the ultimate sin but so be it. There is a policeman that will do back flips when he sees it and he will probably accuse me of cheating but this is one way to get rid of this irritation. I will do what is needed to get this done to get my database in shape. So from next week I will have a cache a day on all sick caches. This should boost my numbers considerable and should help to maintain a cache a day without too much of a search. If you see your cache being replaced with a micro in the form of a film canister please do not cry but take it on the chin.

Am I the only one that feels irritated or is it only me??? I hope to get some feedback. Right thing or wrong thing?

Gerhard

I fully agree that caches obviously not there and not being maintained is a great irritation. I just usually add these to my "Ignore list" and then in my pocket queries ignore them. Then I have a filter on "Caches not found at home" that ignores archived or temporary unavailable caches.... But still sometimes they slip past and you end up searching a while for something that isn't there only to later discover that it hasn't been there for a very long time[ :lol::D ]

if i understand this correctly you are referring to disabled caches

if that's the case why not just filter your PQ's by "Is Active"?