What would you do?

RS67Man

I ran across two caches, hidden by the same CO, using the same container method causing the logs to get wet, and have been wet for quite some time. Numerous logs on both caches stating that the logs are beyond repair wet, and needs maintenance logs have been submitted more than once on one cache. This looks like it has been a ongoing problem ever since the caches were hidden. If the CO would replace the film canisters that has a tie wrap through holes punched into canister (no wonder it has wet logs!) with a bison, it would fix the issue. I filed a NM log on both, but I doubt if anything will happen, because if the history so far. I am tempted to submit a SBA, What would you do?

(If you want to see the caches, look at my finds, up #16 and up #17)

There are several things you can do, with varying opinions.

In order of what I think most cachers would do:

Log a needs maintenance entry.

You could do nothing.

You could replace the container/log sheet (and maybe ask to adopt the cache).

You could bring a larger container to put the old one in.

You could relocate the container.

Log a needs archive entry (if the container and log sheet are present, most cachers will not request it be archived, unless it has deteriorated to what most people would define as trash.)

You could mention it here and see if a reviewer will give the cache owner a little nudge.

There's really nothing wrong with posting a politely worded needs archived note when you see that a maintenance issue has already been mentioned in a few earlier logs. Sometimes life gets in the way of geocaching and a friendly reminder to a cache owner can help to get the priority list reordered. If it gets the cache fixed up, it helps all of those who come later who don't like finding a cache in poor condition any more than you do.

What would you do?

Dude! It's a film can! Fire off an SBA and be done with it! :):D:):(

I think Clan Riffster meant to say "light it on fire" and be done with it. :ph34r:

If we burned more film canisters, there would be less of them... come to think of it, that would remove half my hides. I'm conflicted with this one...

Anyways, my bison tube hides walk away often, film canisters don't. (except one)

Back to being on topic: I usually carry small bags - 2x3 inch from a craft store and a stack of homemade logs (strips of paper about an inch wide) and I replace or add to logs that are beyond gone. cost to me is about a penny a log. If I can't put a new one with the old, I'll pull the old one and toss in the car, sending a note that I have the original log and can arange for them to get it if they want it. but I also state I will only keep it for a couple weeks. Some days during the winter you could have every log you find be wet (we get about 150 days of rain) so instead of replacing every log, I just log it as wet and if I get too many from one person, I let the local reviewer know about the issue.

My personal beef with super wet, moldy logs is a number of people just say, "found cache but couldn't sign log" which is BS, at least throw a scrap of paper with your name on it in the container and post a NM.

Lazy people - making me look good for 40 years

UPDATE

I sent a message to my local reviewer. This was after I did some research on the hides that the CO has done. Looks like he/she archives a cache as soon as there is any problem with it. If that is the case, and these two get archived, I have an idea for a single larger cache that would make better sense in this area.

The reviewer has disabled the two caches and sent a message to the CO, we shall see what happens......

UPDATE

I sent a message to my local reviewer. This was after I did some research on the hides that the CO has done. Looks like he/she archives a cache as soon as there is any problem with it. If that is the case, and these two get archived, I have an idea for a single larger cache that would make better sense in this area.

The reviewer has disabled the two caches and sent a message to the CO, we shall see what happens......

I wonder whether this serial-archiver removes the remnants of his defunct caches? You'd be doing a real public service by checking when you go to install your replacement cache.

I wonder whether this serial-archiver removes the remnants of his defunct caches? You'd be doing a real public service by checking when you go to install your replacement cache.

I will definitely CITO the GT (geotrash) when and if I get to do that..... :(

Oh, man! UP #17 had its first NM in August 2007 and no owner maintenance since then? The only thing that kept that film cannister alive for the past two years was good will performed by finders. And all this time, the cache owner has been active?

You people are way too patient!!

The log is still wet, and is beginning to smell.

Nice hide, log is wet

Found the spit ball, I mean log. Didn't bother trying to sign it.

Wet log

TFTC. Very wet log.

SL (which IS extremely wet; sorry I didn't have a replacement),

even with the baggie the log is damp

Inside of container was very wet but log paper inside of baggy was dry

Finder maintainence Aug 2008: Well the log in this one was looking like wet toilet paper ... put a temp log in here to hopefully last till you can get out and put a good one in.

Finder maintainence Feb 2008: Log was so wet we just brought it home with us and created a new one

The logbook is getting pretty nasty

The log is damp and may not last through the winter.

Finder maintainence Oct 2007: The log was soaked so we put it in a ziplock bag.

Aug 2007 Needs Maint Log: Log soaked

Edited by knowschad

We've got a local CO that has placed dozens of caches in the area, and never maintains them.

I've had personal experience with her cache containers, and when they really need maintenance (can't complete the cache cause it's missing or damaged) it can be months before she takes any action.

Anymore with CO's that don't any activity on the site for several months, I send a NM and PM owner. If no reply within a week/two, I SBA it.