Geocaching Highway 395...

StClairC

This Friday we are going to be making the drive from Orange County up to Bridgeport to go camping and are planning on caching along the way. Even pocket queries that only stray .5 miles from the road record hundreds of results, which sadly we don't have time to do them all. So I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions of must hit caches on the 395 between the 15 and Bridgeport?

This Friday we are going to be making the drive from Orange County up to Bridgeport to go camping and are planning on caching along the way. Even pocket queries that only stray .5 miles from the road record hundreds of results, which sadly we don't have time to do them all. So I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions of must hit caches on the 395 between the 15 and Bridgeport?

I've been to this one and it stood out for me. Had lunch across the street because the restaurant of this cache was closed for the season (winter). But the town was quaint and worth stopping to find a cache. Enjoy your trip.

Smoke'n Good Cache

Well I have to suggest my own caches, Full Moon over Mono Lake. If you have 4x4 A Claustrophobic's Nightmare/Just Say NO to Crack . The two Earthcache Travertine Hot Springs and Tufa Towers. If you go to Bodie, there are two virtual and at least two regular on the road in. I could go on and on.

Yea, I noticed all the ones to Bodie and we are going to have to make a day of that. Every year we go up I say "THIS will be the year we go to Bodie!"....well that's been going on for three years but THIS will be the year! :(

Sadly no 4x4 but we do have a truck this year so we have a little more range than we did in my Carolla before.

And feel free to go on and on if you want. :lol: We are looking at somewhere to spend the night halfway home so we can make it two days full of lots of caches on the way home - so the more we can plan the good ones we want to go to, the better.

Edited by StClairC
I've been to this one and it stood out for me. Had lunch across the street because the restaurant of this cache was closed for the season (winter). But the town was quaint and worth stopping to find a cache. Enjoy your trip.

Smoke'n Good Cache

We've stopped here several times to eat, we've even found this cache! Food is very good and a great place to stop.

Edited by find waldo

I've cached my way up the 395 a couple of times, stopping here and there. I even have a public route "395 to Mammoth with excursions". A diversion to grab some ice cream and a virtual in Randsburg (GC1B42) is always good. I really enjoyed this one in Independence in the spring with a little creek nearby: GCHBRA. If you can afford some time this one in the Hot Springs area of Mammoth is very pretty: GCGYM7. In Lee Vining I really enjoyed this short walk from the nature center: GC15GGP. There are also plenty of micros along the road, some with good views of the mountains. Have fun!

Thanks for all the advice. We ended up getting one virtual cache in Bodie and then on our way to turn back onto the 395 I rear ended a PT Cruiser while looking the other way at traffic. So that pretty much derailed any desire to do anything but get home as soon as possible :blink:

We did stop for Really Good Jerky though, which made things slightly better.