That Frustrating Mystery Cache

vorflex

Ever tried to find one of those Mystery caches, but you just can't figure it out? Post your experience here.

I've had some times, (one time in particular) where I just can't figure out the puzzle. It was where you had to find a riddle written on something, and use that riddle to figure out the co-ords. even with the two hints I got, and after going to the cache location 6 times, I couldn't find it. Frustrating much!!!

Ever tried to find one of those Mystery caches, but you just can't figure it out? Post your experience here.

I've had some times, (one time in particular) where I just can't figure out the puzzle. It was where you had to find a riddle written on something, and use that riddle to figure out the co-ords. even with the two hints I got, and after going to the cache location 6 times, I couldn't find it. Frustrating much!!!

Yes, that's when you cheat and use the phone-a-friend network.

We haven't done any caches yet that require you to decipher codes, unscramble riddles, or do hard crosswords puzzles, etc... Maybe on a rainy day it would be nice to try figuring out some.

We do enjoy the mystery caches that are more educational. For example, we went on a rural barn tour answering questions about historical barns, learned more about Lincoln by answering questions on plaques, a park arboretum identifying trees, etc...

Yes, I just attempted one the other day. There were 5 "stations" to get you to the final. This clues involved math, which comes naturally to me, but I struggled with it. Not because it was hard, but because the equations weren't written properly. A few of the stations I figured out, even with the confusing equations, but just could NOT come up with the final.

The most confusing station was one that brought you to a frisbee golf basket marked "1." But the question for that station asked "Which hole crosses a meadow?" The obvious answer would be "1" but that didn't work in the final equation (could have been any of them as they were all in meadows). So if the answer was say "5" then why did they bring me to hole "1" to ask the question?

With the excecption of the final, we found all waypoints and saw the beauty that was intended to be seen, enough for us anyway. We will not return to finish this cache or ask for hints, we'll simply move on to the next cache with no hard feelings.

Edited by MsMotorcycle

One I wrote about on my blog the other day, GC1DDKF.

It took me 5 days, on and off, this week to work out the puzzle, a couple of emails with the cache owner, head scratching, more head scratching, frustration, another email or two and I finally (at stupid-o-clock on Friday night/Saturday morning) got the coords.

I was desperate to work out this particular puzzle as it was the same starting point as another that I had already "worked" and wanted to get them both at the same time.

Went for a lovely walk yesterday afternoon and grabbed both of them.

I have now managed to work out another 6 local puzzles but there are some to the East of me that are really bugging me as I just can't see what on earth I am supposed to be doing!

Three o' clock rock :(:D:D:D

We have a list of about 5 or 6 mystery caches that currently have us stumped. There are a few local cachers that are very good at solving and making ciphers, so there are a bunch of caches that require "above average" deciphering skills. We refuse to use PAF to solve the puzzles, so the ones that have us fooled get put on the back burner until they drive us crazy.

:unsure::(:D I just dont understand them so wont even try .SAD!

:unsure::(:D I just dont understand them so wont even try .SAD!

I've had some times, (one time in particular) where I just can't figure out the puzzle. It was where you had to find a riddle written on something, and use that riddle to figure out the co-ords. even with the two hints I got, and after going to the cache location 6 times, I couldn't find it. Frustrating much!!![/font][/color]

Yes, that's when you cheat and use the phone-a-friend network.

That's a great solution! Just have someone else tell you the answers! :rolleyes:

Ever tried to find one of those Mystery caches, but you just can't figure it out? Post your experience

Yup, have had a few that just don't click and still waiting for the lightbulb moment. I've gone to the CO for tidbits but I'm not going to ask to be led down the primrose path to get it. I just let 'em stew and take their time bubbling to the top.

I also have a few I own that are real buggers. So I've contributed to the collective loss of sleep, hopefully balancing the caching karma. ;)