US NPS promoting EarthCaches

TerryDad2

The Petrified Forest National Forest is promoting EarthCaching on thier website.

http://www.nps.gov/pefo/planyourvisit/geocaching.htm

I haven't seen any other park doing this. Does anyone know of other examples?

Somehow I thought you had something to do with it! The ECs are great and I am jealous. Back East, we have to make due with our meager geological offerings. Way to go!

In South Africa - the Kruger National Park - the large reserve on the Mozambique, South africa, Zimbabwe border - has given blanket approvals for Earthcaches anywhere in the park (within the rules of not leaving the car unless in designated areas etc. (lions and elephants are too dangerous [:(]).

This is great system - bercause at one stage they were considering banning ALL caching in the park - but when presented with the educational aspect of EarthCaching, they gacve approvals for them. FishEagle - the Africa reviewer was instrumental in setting up this approval.

The Murie Science and Learning Center, hosted by Denali National Park and Preserve, recently placed a half-dozen earthcaches in Denali National Park.

I just finished reading all 6 ECs and they look wonderful.

I especially like the brevity of the write up and the simplicity of the questions. Surprise, surprise....it seems like the location got all of the emphasis and not the write up! There are other questions that I would like to pose but I will not.....for now! Hmmmmmmm! :lol:

The Cumberland National Historic Park in Kentucky promotes earthcaching. The site is under construction in prepartion for a geocaching/earthcaching link. Cumberland National Historic Park is also the host for the Official 2009 Earth Science week 17 October purely in support of GSA.

The Petrified Forest National Forest is promoting EarthCaching on thier website.

http://www.nps.gov/pefo/planyourvisit/geocaching.htm

I haven't seen any other park doing this. Does anyone know of other examples?

Cuyohoga Valley NP is also promoting thier EarthCaches.

They even have a contact to get new ones approved. More places should do this.

And yet, the same park remains militantly opposed to having geocaches in their park -- ever since forcibly removing Ohio's first cache way back in 2000. Following that example, the neighboring County park system also banned geocaches - a ban that remains in place to this day.

So now, with the earthcache alternative, I think the odds of getting to place geocaches in CVNP or the neighboring Summit County MetroParks continue to be quite low.

To the contrary, this "earthcaches only" model is being embraced by a number of additional land managers. Just in 2009, two more land managers in Ohio - including the State Forests all across the Buckeye State - now ban geocaches where they had previously been allowed. Only earthcaches are allowed.

I will never pay an admission fee, hike in, or find an earthcache in a place where the land manager bans geocaches. I will also go out of my way to avoid spending tourist dollars at restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc. in or near such areas.

Earthcaches are great!

I would pay an admission fee to log an earthcache, because for one, my admission fee supports our national parks, however I would never pay an admission fee to find a geocache unless it was worth my time, like a 10 mile hike into the wilderness.

The reason earthcaches are welcomed into parks is mainly because earthcaches "normally" don't cause destruction to the area like a traditional geocache would. How many times have you been to a geocache location only to find a trail/trails, along wth flipped over logs, rocks, and moss near the geocache site? To much destruction of nature for me.

You are a seasoned geocacher :lol: , Im sure you seen this...

And yet, the same park remains militantly opposed to having geocaches in their park -- ever since forcibly removing Ohio's first cache way back in 2000. Following that example, the neighboring County park system also banned geocaches - a ban that remains in place to this day.

So now, with the earthcache alternative, I think the odds of getting to place geocaches in CVNP or the neighboring Summit County MetroParks continue to be quite low.

To the contrary, this "earthcaches only" model is being embraced by a number of additional land managers. Just in 2009, two more land managers in Ohio - including the State Forests all across the Buckeye State - now ban geocaches where they had previously been allowed. Only earthcaches are allowed.

I will never pay an admission fee, hike in, or find an earthcache in a place where the land manager bans geocaches. I will also go out of my way to avoid spending tourist dollars at restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc. in or near such areas.

Edited by Cav Scout

I totally agree with Cav Scout. Traditional geocachers have no one to blame but themselves. Too often, without permission, traditional caches are "planted" in an ecologically sensitive area only to have geocachers try to uproot it like hogs going after truffles! A mess is left behind.

Doing this in a field of weeds is one thing but it is totally wrong in our National Parks and Forests. There are still millions of miles of guardrails left for traditional hides :blink:

Earthcaches are great!

I would pay an admission fee to log an earthcache, because for one, my admission fee supports our national parks, however I would never pay an admission fee to find a geocache unless it was worth my time, like a 10 mile hike into the wilderness.

The reason earthcaches are welcomed into parks is mainly because earthcaches "normally" don't cause destruction to the area like a traditional geocache would. How many times have you been to a geocache location only to find a trail/trails, along wth flipped over logs, rocks, and moss near the geocache site? To much destruction of nature for me.

You are a seasoned geocacher :unsure: , Im sure you seen this...