Adding feedback option to cache owner log deletions

hike4familyfun

I had emailed GC.com, and they suggested that I put forth this idea and see what the general caching community thought of my idea. They said the developers keep an eye on this forum.

Idea:

When deleting entries from a cache page, it would be nice to have the ability to leave a comment as to why it was deleted so that when the individual receives his email (I'm presuming they get an email) informing him that a log was deleted, he would find out immediately the reason. ie duplicate entry or did not fulfill the requirements etc.

Instead of 2 things to do 1) delete entry 2) email individual to explain why (cuz a nice cache owner would), it would be much simpler if it could be streamlined into the one function.

Comments?

Instead of 2 things to do 1) delete entry 2) email individual to explain why (cuz a nice cache owner would), it would be much simpler if it could be streamlined into the one function.

Comments?

Yes, this would streamline the process for sending an email when you delete someone's log, but I have to ask; just how a big of a problem is this? I have never had to delete someone's log (I did threaten once when I had an ALR cache). I could see if log deletion were common why you might spend the effort to streamline the process, but since it should be a rare occurrence (especially after the change to the ALR guidelines) I don't see a overwhelming need to change anything.

Comments?

Yes, this would streamline the process for sending an email when you delete someone's log, but I have to ask; just how a big of a problem is this? I have never had to delete someone's log (I did threaten once when I had an ALR cache). I could see if log deletion were common why you might spend the effort to streamline the process, but since it should be a rare occurrence (especially after the change to the ALR guidelines) I don't see a overwhelming need to change anything.

I think for some cache owners this is not such a rare occurrence. Decide for yourself whether that is a necessary or polite thing to do.

I'll make a note of this suggestion and the next time we look at making changes in that area we can maybe work it in. Thanks.

Yes!

Absolutely!

This has long been needed. Both hiders and finders should appreciate such a function. The multi-step process is not only cumbersome - it sometimes results in errant emails.

Exactly how does the multi-step process result in errant emails? Are you describing a technical issue or user incompetence?

I had to request one person revisit a cache and sign the correct log book. It really was an honest error on their part due to an archived cache that had not been removed yet. They complied in less than a week.

I have deleted ONE found log. Someone logged a find and of course they forgot to do whatever it is you need to do when you have interacted with a TB. They logged the subsequent TB update as a find also. I don't obsess over verifying found logs so I didn't notice it for a year. I deleted the extra "find". I clicked on their profile link and wrote a short note to them. This is not rocket science. If you delete enough logs to make this a valuable request, YOU must be doing something wrong. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, but we certainly don't NEED it.

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS VERY CYNICAL AND SARCASTIC REMARKS (don't say I didn't warn you)

I for one love the idea, even though I have never had to delete anyones log and never had a log deleted myslef.

I would think that a lot of cachers who do delete logs frequently wouldn't like this because they would have to put their lame excuse for deleting your log such as:

-your log is to short/not up to my novel expectations

-I don't like you because you deleted my logs for absolutely valid reasons so your not finding MY cache

-you didn't meet my ALR even though it's stated that you don't have to do my ALR

-I just plain don't like you

-I really don't think that you found my cache because there have been past DNF but I'm too lazy to check on it.

-(Add your own lame excuse)

I'm not saying that everyone who deletes logs are deleting them for lame reasons, but it scares me for one that someone could delete my log for one of the above reasons and I not know about it.

-(Add your own lame excuse)

There's an idea. Have a drop down list of canned reasons. For Premium Members, you can have a customized reasons list.

Heck, let's do that for the forum posts while we're at it.

(no, this post is not meant to be taken seriously)

We didn't. ;)