Notifications by phone?

All notifications (currently) are by email. There are no "text" notifications.

If you don't have email on your phone, you can use the SMS Gateway for your carrier.

Here's a fairly comprehensive list. http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-...s/gateway-list/

Bear in mind that you likely will get two SMS messages per notification so be sure your plan includes enough capacity.

Also, bear in mind that none of the notifications include the coordinates. You will still need to visit the cache page to get the cache information.

Is there a service that will condense the messages down to one or remove the unwanted parts? Thanks

You still wouldn't have the coordinates though. It would be fairly easy to write a little program to do combine & strip, if you had the technical knowledge. But it doesn't do much good w/o grabbing the cache coords and description.

Is there a service that will condense the messages down to one or remove the unwanted parts? Thanks

Sort of, or at least you can accomplish what I think you are looking for.

You need to have it sent to your phone as MMS, assuming you can get it from your provider (most can). Unlike SMS which has a character limit, MMS will send you the message in its entirety in one message.

Examples of the different carrier addresses can be found here.

You need to have it sent to your phone as MMS, assuming you can get it from your provider (most can). Unlike SMS which has a character limit, MMS will send you the message in its entirety in one message.

MMS is picture messaging, correct? And I would be charged the same as for a pic message? Also, according to that list, my MMS address is the same as what I have been using for SMS.

You still wouldn't have the coordinates though. It would be fairly easy to write a little program to do combine & strip, if you had the technical knowledge. But it doesn't do much good w/o grabbing the cache coords and description.

Yeah, I know I won't have the coordinates, but I could go on the web and look it up or use Groundspeak's Textmark feature to find that part out. I don't nearly have enough tech knowledge to write the program anyway.

MMS is picture messaging, correct? And I would be charged the same as for a pic message? Also, according to that list, my MMS address is the same as what I have been using for SMS.

If it is the same address and you are not incurring charges for the SMS messages than you shouldn't for MMS. Not knowing your carrier (although I will assume not at&t or Verizon since they have different emails for both) , to find out how the message comes over and assuming you can not force MMS, you need to try one. If it comes over truncated then it is SMS, if you get the full message it is coming MMS.

There is no way to control it on the GC side, so if it comes over truncated I would contact your carrier, the list may have the wrong email however expect to have to push the issue with Tier 1 support since it took a week of training how to push the button that answers your call.

If it is the same address and you are not incurring charges for the SMS messages than you shouldn't for MMS. Not knowing your carrier (although I will assume not at&t or Verizon since they have different emails for both) , to find out how the message comes over and assuming you can not force MMS, you need to try one. If it comes over truncated then it is SMS, if you get the full message it is coming MMS.

There is no way to control it on the GC side, so if it comes over truncated I would contact your carrier, the list may have the wrong email however expect to have to push the issue with Tier 1 support since it took a week of training how to push the button that answers your call.

Yep, every time I use that address it comes over in 2 parts. Do I have to activate something on my phone besides from just using that address? Otherwise it looks like I will just have to contact customer support. (I have Alltel, by the way)

I get notifications on my phone, I use Verizon I just use "my number@vtext.com" as the email and it comes through as a text. I have gotten a couple in the wee morning hours but over all I really enjoy getting them on my phone.

If you use mynumber@vzwpix.com you actually get more info such as the distance from whatever your home coords are. This will help me determine if it worth trying for a FTF.

Here is a sample of one I just got.

This is an automated message from Geocaching

For GC1VTMJ: Overnight (Traditional Cache)

17.1mi S (27.6km S)

mtn-man published Overnight (Traditional Cache) at 7/16/2009

Log Date: 7/16/2009

Published

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...a4-cd82717e5053

Visit Traditional Cache

Overnight

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ae-78ba0e277851

Profile for mtn-man:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=bc...f2-7b2446d08578

Notification: New Geocache

http://www.geocaching.com/notify/edit.aspx?NID=172877

Edited by jbuffethed

Yep, every time I use that address it comes over in 2 parts. Do I have to activate something on my phone besides from just using that address? Otherwise it looks like I will just have to contact customer support. (I have Alltel, by the way)

I took the liberty of doing a Google search on your service using "how do i recieve MMS messages with Altel". Apparently they have had problems with MMS on several phones over the past year but seem to have fixes for most models, the easiest it appears if you have a Blackberry.

This thread seems to have the most common fix. Entering in your model may give you more specific fixes.

All the threads basically come down to contacting customer service and they will either 1. send you a configuration fix or 2. wipe and reset your phone.

I took the liberty of doing a Google search on your service using "how do i recieve MMS messages with Altel". Apparently they have had problems with MMS on several phones over the past year but seem to have fixes for most models, the easiest it appears if you have a Blackberry.

This thread seems to have the most common fix. Entering in your model may give you more specific fixes.

All the threads basically come down to contacting customer service and they will either 1. send you a configuration fix or 2. wipe and reset your phone.

Ok. I'll try those. Thanks for your help and I will let you know if I figure it out. Thanks a ton!