BlackBerry Curve 8330 as GPS

SailorAide

I am new to the game and hoping that I can start off rather cheaply with some equipment I already own. My BlackBerry Curve has a GPS function and I was wondering if it could be used (in tandem with other applications perhaps) as a primary GPS for geocaching? I wouldn't be tramping into the jungle or climbing any mountains just yet. I just want to locate some caches close to myself and get the hang of what this is all about.

So, does it work? And if so, how can I go about configuring my BB to use for this?

What carrier are you on? If it's Verizon, you will not be able to use the internal GPS chip with third party applications, currently.

Otherwise, check out BlackStar. There's currently an active thread about it in the GPS forum section here.

Also, you might check out CacheBerry.

Bear in mind that the BlackBerry GPS chip is accurate, but not very strong. It has a tendency to lose the satellite lock easily and frequently.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Luckily Verizon is not my carrier.

I've done a small amount of research and there is another application called GeoCache Navigator made by Trimble. Is it comparable to BlackStar and CacheBerry? Better or worse?

Thank you also for the warning. I would never use this as a long-term solution but I'm hoping that it can get me into the hobby and if I want to stick with it then I can always save up and buy a handheld GPS at a later time.

I have the same phone. I'm using Geocache Navigator with it. Not only does it work great. But you can find caches where ever you go. Its link right into the GC.com data base for up to date caches info. I got a few FTFs just by being in the right area at the right time and happen to check to see what caches were near by. I check for near by caches where ever I go.

P.S. I use it on the Sprint network.

Luckily Verizon is not my carrier.

I've done a small amount of research and there is another application called GeoCache Navigator made by Trimble. Is it comparable to BlackStar and CacheBerry? Better or worse?

Thank you also for the warning. I would never use this as a long-term solution but I'm hoping that it can get me into the hobby and if I want to stick with it then I can always save up and buy a handheld GPS at a later time.

If you are wanting to go cheap, I would not Choose Geocache Navigator. It charges a monthly fee, I believe $7 / mo. However, it is the only one that is directly integrated into geocaching.com. I believe there is a 30 day free trial. It really is a nice app, I just can't justify the cost personally. There is also an option to pay $49 annually.

Both BlackStar and Cacheberry have GPX import, where you create the file of caches and load them into the app. BlackStar also allows LOC import, I am not sure if Cacheberry does or not.

BlackStar is also designed to be used for more than just geocaching. We have users that use it for hiking, biking, flying, fishing, etc.

All three have a compass which will point you to the cache.

BlackStar is free. Cacheberry is either $10 or $14, I can't remember which, and has a 30 day free trial.

I was in the same boat you are as far as not wanting to spend any money to see if I am really gonna get into this. I started with Blackstar and have since switched over to Cacheberry. They both do a great job at getting you to the cache. Cacheberry does allow LOC imports and that is how I am using it right now. Until I get serious about everything, so far I have not spent a dime to give this game a try. I think there is gonna be some money thrown down pretty soon though :(

And so far battery life is about the only complaint I have with my BB Curve 8330 while caching. There are menu options which take you right to the cache website page so you can check hints and logs in case you are stuck while out searching (as long as you have signal). Also the google maps link for each one is really nice to get your vehicle there before you go on foot...

Try Blackstar or Cacheberry and I don't think you will be dissapointed at all with what you get...

I have the same phone. I'm using Geocache Navigator with it. Not only does it work great. But you can find caches where ever you go. Its link right into the GC.com data base for up to date caches info. I got a few FTFs just by being in the right area at the right time and happen to check to see what caches were near by. I check for near by caches where ever I go.

P.S. I use it on the Sprint network.

Another Sprint Berry Curve user here. I used CacheBerry for the first month, switched over to Geocache Navigator, and picked up a Geomate Jr. earlier this month. I have to go cheap because my truck just cost me a minor fortune in repairs. :(

The CacheBerry was.....ok. It seemed however that I had to pre-load it with data before I went out, and I really want to find stuff on the fly. Geocache Navigator EXCELS at on-the-fly; anywhere I am I can fire it up and within a minute have caches in my area. Was delighted to get to cache in San Francisco in this fashion. I gave it a whirl for the trial period and liked it SO much that I got an annual subscription.

At a recent event folks were showing off the Geomate Jr. As I mentioned, I don't have a pile of cash for a really sweet GPS unit...but between the Berry (which I'm already paying for GPS for, since I drive around with it a lot), Geocache Nav (which gets me to GZ using the mapping), and Geomate Jr (which gets me a precise fix once at GZ) I'm one very happy camper. So, I got a pretty nice package for $100. Looking forward to the Geomate Upgrade Kit which will make it even more versatile!