Cache Page New Feature

WRWhizard

I'll admit I haven't given this a whole lot of thought about how much trouble it might be to implement, but recently I was on vacation and I deliberately sought out caches that listed travel bugs in their inventories. Many of those travelers had been gone for a very long time. What I propose is that the date of placement of a travel bug be in the GPX file so that a paperless cacher will be able to know a bug is likely gone if it's placement date is very old.

Edited by WRWhizard

I'll admit I haven't given this a whole lot of thought about how much trouble it might be to implement, but recently I was on vacation and I deliberately sought out caches that listed travel bugs in their inventories. Many of those travelers had been gone for a very long time. What I propose is that the date of placement of a travel bug be in the GPX file so that a paperless cacher will be able to know a bug is likely gone if it's placement date is very old.

Welll, some of those bugs I looked for had been placed years ago. I didn't realise it till I got back to where I was staying and checked the bugs page. Easy to do if you are at home on the computer. But when you are out in the field, you only have that little astrisk signifying a bug is there, and the inventory list. No way to know it's been there two years. It happened to me several times on one trip. Enough that I felt I'd not be the only one who arived at a cache expecting a traveler only to find it had been gone for a long long time.

OK, you couldn't *KNOW* it's gone just from the date. But unless the bug gets marked missing, it will stay in the inventory forever. Where I was at, apparently a LOT of bugs were long long gone. I just felt that the older the placement date, the less certainty it would still be there. How else but by placement date could you have any indication of the likely hood of it being there?

Especialy when you do have the last several logs in your GPS, if the logs go back a month or two, and the placement date is older than those, it's a good bet it's not there.

Edited by WRWhizard