California DeLorme Atlases

Sierra Rat

I was considering doing the Northern California DeLorme Challenge, however, the Northern California DeLorme Atlas is out of print and the people who have used Atlases are asking $50+. Does anyone know if the maps in the new DeLorme Atlas, which is all of California (and about $20 at Amazon), have the same grids as the old Atlas? I have tried doing a search on this question and was unable to find any answers. Thanks for your help.

Yep, I thought of that, but the owner of this cache/challenge hasn't logged in since August of 2008. People still log on to this cache as having completed it. Guess I could do the total California Challenge, but I live in Northern Cal and just want to do this one for personal satisfaction.

I was considering doing the Northern California DeLorme Challenge, however, the Northern California DeLorme Atlas is out of print and the people who have used Atlases are asking $50+. Does anyone know if the maps in the new DeLorme Atlas, which is all of California (and about $20 at Amazon), have the same grids as the old Atlas? I have tried doing a search on this question and was unable to find any answers. Thanks for your help.

Have you considered the Delorme's Forums. I am sure someone there could help you out.

http://forum.delorme.com/

Yep, I thought of that, but the owner of this cache/challenge hasn't logged in since August of 2008. People still log on to this cache as having completed it. Guess I could do the total California Challenge, but I live in Northern Cal and just want to do this one for personal satisfaction.

That is too bad. We are working on Nevada's DeLorme Challenge (only 11 pages left!) and the Cache Owner, Skwerl, couldn't be more helpful. It makes it a lot easier to be able to get your questions answered quickly.

Last week I saw three new copies of the discontinued norcal DeLorme Atlas at the Pep Boys auto store in Sunnyvale, CA. Never thought that store would be a source but perhaps there is one in your area and they have a copy. Or possible another chain auto store.

The grids are different for the Golden State DeLorme (GSD) and both the socal and norcal DeLorme Atlases. So get them all cause if you are going to do one, you might as well do them all. Never go through a grid or county without a couple of caches!

You will of course get the 58 county challenge by doing the GSD.

And don't forget GC1TVK1, the State of Jefferson County Challenge. Some norcal counties and a few southern OR counties. And you might as well pick up to OR DeLorme Atlas since you are going to be up there. It never ends. :D

I did it all backwards-- 1st the 58 counties, then norcal, then the remaining socal and GSD together. Of course that is the way they were published.

I have been to Adin 3 times and will probably go again. As SKWERL and I joke about, "All roads lead to Adin." When you go to Adin, be sure to stop at the "The Oney Place" restaurant on the main road. You can get a large ice cream cone for about $1.35 I recall. Oh, and get a date shake at Furnace Creek in Death Valley and a fresh peach shake in Loyalton. All 5 star stuff!

Edited by MotorBug

I was actually at the DeLorme store in Maine a couple of weeks ago visiting Eartha (the giant globe). I asked them about the NorCal book and was told that they have some left over 'in the basement' but couldn't sell them to me. I have an inquiry into DeLorme sales as well and will post if they do in fact have some and are willing to part with them.

...and thanks for the kind comments Find Waldo!

Now MotorBug, you need to put together an "Ice Cream and Milkshake Challenge Cache"...

The SKWERL

I was actually at the DeLorme store in Maine a couple of weeks ago visiting Eartha (the giant globe). I asked them about the NorCal book and was told that they have some left over 'in the basement' but couldn't sell them to me. I have an inquiry into DeLorme sales as well and will post if they do in fact have some and are willing to part with them.

...and thanks for the kind comments Find Waldo!

Now MotorBug, you need to put together an "Ice Cream and Milkshake Challenge Cache"...

The SKWERL

Yes, Mr. SKWERL was very helpful to us too when we did his Nevada Delorme Challange, still our favorite "adventure" cache. Now If I would just log it correctly :)

Jahoadi and John

You might try sending the question to the cache owner, I would think that he would have already checked this out. :)

He might if he were a he. But since he's a she you could send questions to her.

But, in reality it is not a question for cache owners. We are on our own when it comes to finding the NCa and SCa Delorme books. Ebay and Craigs list might be good sources. I am sure people will be able to find them or get an electronic grid (already available as a GSAK macro). Nothing should stop you from going after "The Original" DeLorme Challenge and the Southern CA DC.

We have in our possession the very self-same DeLorme that Haicoole first saw that got her all excited in the first place but I can tell you that book is not for sale.

Does anyone know if the maps in the new DeLorme Atlas, which is all of California (and about $20 at Amazon), have the same grids as the old Atlas? I have tried doing a search on this question and was unable to find any answers. Thanks for your help

The grids are different. The pages in the new book cover a slightly larger area but there is one important fact to keep in mind. Caches that qualify for NCa and SCa DCs cannot be used for the Golden State DC. So when you are driving around the state be sure to get enough caches to cover both pages in any one location.

I just grabbed four pages in both books in NE CA during my Oregon DeLorme Challenge completion run which began in Olympia, WA. It took 8 hours of extra driving in California to get those 4 pages twice but what a blast it was. I intend to complete the NC DC though I'm not sure how long that will take since we live in Washington State.

Good luck!