Coin Classifications

The Ravens

What are the classification definitions for RE, LE, AE, SE, XLE, and XXLE?

RE = Retail Edition? Maybe minted several times

LE = Limited Edition? Minted only once.

AE = ?

SE = ?

XLE = Extra Limited Edition? Minted once in a small amount (less 50?)

XXLE = Extra Extra Limited Edition? Minted once in an even smaller amount (less 25?)

What are the classification definitions for RE, LE, AE, SE, XLE, and XXLE?

RE = Retail Edition? Maybe minted several times

AE = ?

SE = ?

XLE = Extra Limited Edition? Minted once in a small amount (less 50?)

XXLE = Extra Extra Limited Edition? Minted once in an even smaller amount (less 25?)

RE=regular edition

LE=limited

AE=artist

SE= i think special edition

Not sure there's a "rule" with regard to quantities minted to match to edition type.......

Just to clarify on what everyone else has said -- and please take this with a grain of salt -- there's a sort of fuzzy set of explanations for what all those things mean:

To expand on what CF30 and nefesh have already said:

RE = Regular Edition - May be minted in any quanity and reminted any number of times

LE = Limited Edition? Minted only once. - No particular limit on quantity although the quantity is usually less than that of the regular edition of the coin; the main point of this is that the plating/color combo is never minted again

AE = Artist's Edition - Usually this refers to a run of a special plating used to pay the artist for his or her work (vice payment of money). Typically, this is calculated as a percentage of the total run -- in other words, the quantity is tied to the overall quantity: the bigger the run of coins overall, the more AEs there will be.

SE = Special Edition - A special plating or color combo, usually in a smaller quantity than the regular edition -- however, it can be reminted (and that's what separates the special edition from the limited edition -- it's different from the regular edition, but unlike the LE it could be minted again)

XLE = Extra Limited Edition? Minted once in a small amount - What she said

XXLE = Extra Extra Limited Edition? Minted once in an even smaller amount - Again, what she said

Not to be cynical exactly, but...

All of the above is true...

unless it's not...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

everything varies... including any variation

Truer words were never spoken.... err...typed. :o

But if one deals with generalities - such as geocoins - it comes close enough to get the idea across. :)

CF30

Not to be cynical exactly, but...

All of the above is true...

unless it's not...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

everything varies... including any variation

Heheheh... I was waiting for the reality check. Conventions among a not so conventional crowd? Who's kidding who?

Thanks guys/gals. That cleared up a lot of confusion on all the classifications.

Hey Jackalgirl... how have you been? Still in Japan? Remember us from Kansas? We still haven't minted coins yet and I haven't forgot about ya when we do.

:) New Coin, huh? :antenna: Um,....If your minting a coin soon, You can count me and about 10 other people to get one or 5. LOL!!! :o

Sorry, wrong thread....

Never Mind :antenna:

Opalsns

Edited by opalsns

RE = Regular Edition

AE = Artist's Edition

SE = Special Edition

XLE = Extra Limited Edition? Minted once in a small amount

XXLE = Extra Extra Limited Edition? Minted once in an even smaller amount

Quantities may vary in any Edition.

CF30

Looks like i may have messed up before but i DID POST NOTES ON SALES PAGE saying more will be minted next to the coins but i put a limit on the amount made.

Is this wrong ??

I said i was going to mint no more then 100 and 200 of one kind but made only 50 and 100 at first and i did post notes saying this was the amount that would be made.

I had this thread posted on the forum here and not one person said i was saying or doing anything wrong and if i was i am sorry for doing this and i would have changed something if somebody said something.

Here is a copy off the sale page for the RC Firetrucks.

COPY

I had the following metals made to start.

101 Nickel

99 Black Nickel

50 Gold

I do not like presales so i may do another minting if the response is good.

Gold may also be minted again as well but it will be the lowest amount made.

COPY END

This is a fundraiser coin and i did not want to do low amounts and i noted from day one more may be made even the gold.

I have cut off the minting at.

199 Black Nickel.

100 Gold

Nickel may be minted more.

Are these all called Regular editions since they where minted in two orders??????

If i ooffended anyone i am sorry for doing this but i wish one person that read the first post would have said something about this.

Looks like i may have messed up before but i DID POST NOTES ON SALES PAGE saying more will be minted next to the coins but i put a limit on the amount made.

Is this wrong ??

Personally, I think you did wonderfully !!

You communicated !!

There really are no rules, only exceptions !

I thought it went of the amounts made and it did not have to all be made in one minting.

If it has to be made in one minting to get a special classification then i would say Presales would be really needed to be able to figure how many to make in one minting.

I have some new coins ready to send off to the mint but now i am worried to get only 100 made to start since it involves three colors of metal and one will have 50 made and no more minting and 100 made and no more minting after i reach these limits and then the other would be a Regular edition with ? on amount.

If i make one hundred i can not do all three metals if it needs to be in one minting.

I hope if i tell people there will be more made it will be ok to do these in two mintings like planned.

The order i am planning on doing is

25 now 25 later. XLE

25 now 75 later. LE

50 now and ? later. RE

If it offends people to do this then i will wait on making coins until i can do several hundred at a time and then chance sitting on them if they do not sell.

I could do presales but i do not like doing that.

I just want to do this how ever it makes everyone happy :(

Here are our editions and i think I see them, this is an evolving process so feel free to add, subtract, demand, reduce, add glitter to as you see fit.

RE = Regular Edition - regular, plain old minting, can have variations, mint quantities and remints not stated. This edition was on the endangered list with the proliferation of XLE, XXLE, XXXLE and rumors of The Lock Ness XXXXLE

LE = Limited Edition - minted up to a set quantity. Can be reminted if only half of the mint run was done in the first batch. (eg LE of 100 coins only! (as stated on a vendors site), the vendor only minted 50 in the first run and then reminted 50 to take the tally up to 100 coins. However, LE mint runs can be any number of coins below the regular mint run, but more than the XLE mint run. The LE's are not usually minted again, unless the vendor falls on hard times, then they have been known remint them to make quick cash. (they also remint them when they see the LE's selling for $50 on ebay)

AE = Artist's Edition - Artist's Edition. A fancy name for a limited edition given to the artist and now sometimes a coin's ideas' originator. This is in a different metal or color combination than regular, limited or any other edition and usually it's sole reason is so the artist can sell the coin for 4 times the normal standard run or exhort huge trade values for it. Historical note: designers used to be paid with regular edition coins, but when the value of an added limited edition was proven to be more lucrative, alternate metals and combinations were typically picked. Typically, this is calculated as a percentage of the total run -- usually limited to under 100 coins, but who really knows other than the artist. Myth: a myth that evolved from artist editions was that by simply adding glitter to a coin made it an artist's edition. Alas, after some experimenting and some very gone-wrong results this was not the case.

SE = Special Edition - There is nothing special about a special edition, it usually refers to remint of a popular coin that has a different metal or color combination. Historical note: SE used to mean Standard edition (same as regular edition), but was altered after a vendor decided to rename the editions. Special editions are very flexible as they can be reminted if they sell fast or can be halted and declared limited if they don't sell fast.

XLE = Extra Limited Edition: This is what vendors call a coin when they have made 3 versions of the coin. Rather than settle for 2 regular editions, bump up one to LE and another to XLE. They sell faster.

XXLE = The XXLE concept as never been proven other and overseas in Europe. The reason being is that a Swiss designer managed to catch a few in a design while at CERN, but the atomic structure is deemed unstable, elaborate and a pure marketing term so details are unclear.

Sample 1-1 = some samples are trackable, others are not, these are unmade metal or color proofs that were made for viewing purposes. Samples have become less common since the main Chinese mint now charges for them and charges more for multiple metals.

Mystery editions - this is a small subset of special (not to be mixed with SE special) geocoins that are generally gifted to other coin collectors anonymously. Historical note: mystery coins were first dropped into geocaches as surprises and followed by coin collectors who had to run out and grab them. Later, when it was discovered that some coin collectors don't actually cache and begging for them was easier than earning them, people mailed them to others instead.

Does this help? :(

Here are our editions and i think I see them, this is an evolving process so feel free to add, subtract, demand, reduce, add glitter to as you see fit.

RE = Regular Edition - regular, plain old minting, can have variations, mint quantities and remints not stated. This edition was on the endangered list with the proliferation of XLE, XXLE, XXXLE and rumors of The Lock Ness XXXXLE

LE = Limited Edition - minted up to a set quantity. Can be reminted if only half of the mint run was done in the first batch. (eg LE of 100 coins only! (as stated on a vendors site), the vendor only minted 50 in the first run and then reminted 50 to take the tally up to 100 coins. However, LE mint runs can be any number of coins below the regular mint run, but more than the XLE mint run. The LE's are not usually minted again, unless the vendor falls on hard times, then they have been known remint them to make quick cash. (they also remint them when they see the LE's selling for $50 on ebay)

AE = Artist's Edition - Artist's Edition. A fancy name for a limited edition given to the artist and now sometimes a coin's ideas' originator. This is in a different metal or color combination than regular, limited or any other edition and usually it's sole reason is so the artist can sell the coin for 4 times the normal standard run or exhort huge trade values for it. Historical note: designers used to be paid with regular edition coins, but when the value of an added limited edition was proven to be more lucrative, alternate metals and combinations were typically picked. Typically, this is calculated as a percentage of the total run -- usually limited to under 100 coins, but who really knows other than the artist. Myth: a myth that evolved from artist editions was that by simply adding glitter to a coin made it an artist's edition. Alas, after some experimenting and some very gone-wrong results this was not the case.

SE = Special Edition - There is nothing special about a special edition, it usually refers to remint of a popular coin that has a different metal or color combination. Historical note: SE used to mean Standard edition (same as regular edition), but was altered after a vendor decided to rename the editions. Special editions are very flexible as they can be reminted if they sell fast or can be halted and declared limited if they don't sell fast.

XLE = Extra Limited Edition: This is what vendors call a coin when they have made 3 versions of the coin. Rather than settle for 2 regular editions, bump up one to LE and another to XLE. They sell faster.

XXLE = The XXLE concept as never been proven other and overseas in Europe. The reason being is that a Swiss designer managed to catch a few in a design while at CERN, but the atomic structure is deemed unstable, elaborate and a pure marketing term so details are unclear.

Sample 1-1 = some samples are trackable, others are not, these are unmade metal or color proofs that were made for viewing purposes. Samples have become less common since the main Chinese mint now charges for them and charges more for multiple metals.

Mystery editions - this is a small subset of special (not to be mixed with SE special) geocoins that are generally gifted to other coin collectors anonymously. Historical note: mystery coins were first dropped into geocaches as surprises and followed by coin collectors who had to run out and grab them. Later, when it was discovered that some coin collectors don't actually cache and begging for them was easier than earning them, people mailed them to others instead.

Does this help? :(

Wow, great post. Thats probably the most info ive gotten about coins.

Well lots of informative posts. What I did was post the defintions of the terms on my website as they pertain to what they mean to me and my mintings. However I haven't used any of those terms in the last year/year-in-a-half. I just give the coins a name like "Nutella version" and the funny thing is that it's not until they get listed on ebay then someone decides to give it a LE, XLE, AE or whatever, if I ain't calling it that how come someone else is giving it that term? :(