any GLBT Geocachers?

Agreed. People should just be nice. All y'all can say and do as y'all please. It don't hurt nobody.

I actually think its a good idea to have a group or get together. Not to exclude y'alls selves but to do something with people you have more than just geocaching in common with. For the same reason I would like a singles cachet event. It's more specific and people will have a lot more of the same interests.

Ps, not that anybody cares, but I'm not GBLT, but I've had my fair share of defending some close to me that are.

Edited by Rychu

thanks for all who have responded. I think we might consider ourselves a minority within an minority -- those who responded are spread out so far and wide that it is highly improbable we could ever attempt to organize some GC activity together, for the time being.

I guess I can side with "paganfrog" for getting a little sensitive reading the original comment made by "Difficult Run". When I initially read "why use acronyms here?" and "is there a reason to post in 'code'?" I was slightly offended. Though it may not have been his intentions to offend me, the way those questions were worded automatically would put someone on the defensive (especially considering that people in the GLBT community hear that abbreviation EVERYDAY and we don't use it as a "code", which would suggest we attempt to exclude non-GLBT people). Not trying to beat a dead horse since "paganfrog" apologized and it seems as though "Difficult Run" accepted the apology and went on to explain his post -- just finally getting around to adding my two cents. Glad you learned something "Difficult Run" -- also know that we can get a little sensitive since we frequently get jumped on in so many other forums outside of Groundspeak by "well meaning" non-GLBT people.

I didn't know what glbt was until further down on the thread.

the last time there was one of these here the person got crucified pretty bad in the forums.

thanks for all who have responded. I think we might consider ourselves a minority within an minority -- those who responded are spread out so far and wide that it is highly improbable we could ever attempt to organize some GC activity together, for the time being.

I guess I can side with "paganfrog" for getting a little sensitive reading the original comment made by "Difficult Run". When I initially read "why use acronyms here?" and "is there a reason to post in 'code'?" I was slightly offended. Though it may not have been his intentions to offend me, the way those questions were worded automatically would put someone on the defensive (especially considering that people in the GLBT community hear that abbreviation EVERYDAY and we don't use it as a "code", which would suggest we attempt to exclude non-GLBT people). Not trying to beat a dead horse since "paganfrog" apologized and it seems as though "Difficult Run" accepted the apology and went on to explain his post -- just finally getting around to adding my two cents. Glad you learned something "Difficult Run" -- also know that we can get a little sensitive since we frequently get jumped on in so many other forums outside of Groundspeak by "well meaning" non-GLBT people.

I didn't know what glbt was until further down on the thread.

the last time there was one of these here the person got crucified pretty bad in the forums.

And it shouldn't have to be. One thing I have observed in my time caching (i love the social aspects) is caching attracts the ntire spectrum of people. Races, sexual orientation, political ideologies, etc. And while I am sure every corner has its die-hard, geocaching seems to bridge those gaps. One story recall was at an NC fall fling, we did some group caching and we had an anti-war person waling with a special forces guy on the trail. It was great, while neither brought up their passion for what they did, they allowed the common love of caching bring them together.

While the forums seem to be a "safe" place for someone to wrap themselves up in their stances, when out on the trail, you would all be very surprised who you are caching with. It is refreshing though in a world where everyone is for themselves and their way of life is the only way, to see none of that matter when caching.

PS - I don't see a need to annouce my sexual orientation because a) its private B) i am confortable who I am and c) what difference does it make?

And it shouldn't have to be. One thing I have observed in my time caching (i love the social aspects) is caching attracts the ntire spectrum of people. Races, sexual orientation, political ideologies, etc. And while I am sure every corner has its die-hard, geocaching seems to bridge those gaps. One story recall was at an NC fall fling, we did some group caching and we had an anti-war person waling with a special forces guy on the trail. It was great, while neither brought up their passion for what they did, they allowed the common love of caching bring them together.

While the forums seem to be a "safe" place for someone to wrap themselves up in their stances, when out on the trail, you would all be very surprised who you are caching with. It is refreshing though in a world where everyone is for themselves and their way of life is the only way, to see none of that matter when caching.

PS - I don't see a need to annouce my sexual orientation because a) its private B) i am confortable who I am and c) what difference does it make?

Thanks for sharing that experience. I certainly agree with most of your comments, but I found your postscript a bit at odds with the rest of your post.

I'm heterosexual and feel comfortable sharing that orientation publicly. Most of my geocaching friends know both me and my partner, and they are aware of our relationship. Ms. CanadianRockies is an important part of my life.

Unfortunately, many GLBTs feel the need to be more cautious about sharing their sexual orientation publicly. Attitudes towards GLBTs seem to be improving, but we're not there yet.

Edited by CanadianRockies

I just don't get it. I really don't.

Is a gay geocacher and different than a hetero geocacher? What is the point of this thread?

As a father and brother of two lesbians I actually can understand the point of wanting to know that they are not the only ones out there caching. Both my sister and daughter where not sure how I would take to there preference. If they where not sure how I would take it and I am there family I can understand how some would be unsure how some of us here would be.

To all GLBT cachers all are welcome ever make it to my neck of the woods give us a hollor will be more than willing to take you out to some great caches.

Is a gay geocacher and different than a hetero geocacher? What is the point of this thread?

Well after finding that ammo box up in the mountains i guess there are other mountain activities they can do.

Is that not just as true for the hetero cachers? That was really a rather distasteful attempt at humor.

Personally, I find this thread to be just as out of place here as the military cachers thread. Nothing wrong with either, except that they have nothing at all to do with geocaching.

It's a club. And unless you know the secret handshake you can't get in.

It's nice to see people being more accepted in their own diversity, rather than pigeon-holed as "Minority A", "Minority B", etc.

I know local geocachers who are and it makes no nevermind to me, the old stereotypes are dead and good riddance to them. If members of a community wish to reach out to each other, I'm totally cool with it. After all, isn't what what we all are doing here as "Geocachers"?

It's nice to see people being more accepted in their own diversity, rather than pigeon-holed as "Minority A", "Minority B", etc.

I know local geocachers who are and it makes no nevermind to me, the old stereotypes are dead and good riddance to them. If members of a community wish to reach out to each other, I'm totally cool with it. After all, isn't what what we all are doing here as "Geocachers"?

The way I read it, I think that Coldgear's point was that this thread does pigeon-hole a minority group.

The way I read it, I think that Coldgear's point was that this thread does pigeon-hole a minority group.

And my point is We All are a minority.

Thanks for sharing that experience. I certainly agree with most of your comments, but I found your postscript a bit at odds with the rest of your post.

I'm heterosexual and feel comfortable sharing that orientation publicly. Most of my geocaching friends know both me and my partner, and they are aware of our relationship. Ms. CanadianRockies is an important part of my life.

Unfortunately, many GLBTs feel the need to be more cautious about sharing their sexual orientation publicly. Attitudes towards GLBTs seem to be improving, but we're not there yet.

My PS was mainly in reference to the heterosexuals in this thread and their need to make sure they announce they are such. Because this intention was not clear in my PS to spell that out, I guess I have to go to that level to make it clear. I am a hetero but didn't feel a need to have to make sure that was announced - why? Because I think it seems wrong to come into a forum, sound supportive of the LGBT community but then to announce you are hetero is sort of a proverbial "washing off" or a "self justification" that says "yes, I support you all but I am hetero and I want others to know it so they dont think I am a homosexual"

To me it is no different then the "i am not racist I have black friend" cliche' - That is really all my PS meant. Sorry it was obscure.

And my point is We All are a minority.

They are feeding off on responses. If we stop responding to their comments, they'll go away and we'll have this forum back to where it once was.. So just kill them with silence and they'll forget about this board in a few days..

not Feeding the trolls starves them however all it takes is one snarky comment to get the ball rolling.

I don't see this as any different than someone asking "Hey, are there any other Mets fans out there? I'd love to go caching with you and talk Mets baseball!"

Is there really something wrong with cachers looking to find other cachers who have similar interests? I don't understand all the bashing...

They are feeding off on responses. If we stop responding to their comments, they'll go away and we'll have this forum back to where it once was.. So just kill them with silence and they'll forget about this board in a few days..

not Feeding the trolls starves them however all it takes is one snarky comment to get the ball rolling.

While I agree in principle, can you imagine the outcry if someone posted "Any Straight Geocachers?". Or, how about someone suggesting White History Month.

I am in 100% support of ALL groups. What I don't like is the hypocracy associated with such things. I am in the camp that we're all people and why can't we all just get along without pointing out the differences.

I am in the camp that we're all people and why can't we all just get along without pointing out the differences.

I very much agree that we should strive to get along with others and treat each other with respect.

If we respect each other, though, then differences shouldn't need to be hidden or ignored. I don't hide my interest in this odd geocaching activity. My brother enjoys running marathons. We point out our differences and celebrate them.

As I noted earlier, I'm heterosexual, and my partner is an important person in my life. We geocache together, socialize together, travel together, etc. We don't have to worry about hiding our relationship. Regrettably, many GLBTs must be more cautious at times about revealing their difference. Perhaps, someday, we'll respect each other enough that we can appreciate our differences.

While I agree in principle, can you imagine the outcry if someone posted "Any Straight Geocachers?". Or, how about someone suggesting White History Month.

I am in 100% support of ALL groups. What I don't like is the hypocracy associated with such things. I am in the camp that we're all people and why can't we all just get along without pointing out the differences.

*rolls eyes* THAT argument...lol

I am in the camp that we're all people and why can't we all just get along without pointing out the differences.

I very much agree that we should strive to get along with others and treat each other with respect.

If we respect each other, though, then differences shouldn't need to be hidden or ignored. I don't hide my interest in this odd geocaching activity. My brother enjoys running marathons. We point out our differences and celebrate them.

As I noted earlier, I'm heterosexual, and my partner is an important person in my life. We geocache together, socialize together, travel together, etc. We don't have to worry about hiding our relationship. Regrettably, many GLBTs must be more cautious at times about revealing their difference. Perhaps, someday, we'll respect each other enough that we can appreciate our differences.

I honestly do not see the harm in the orignal poster's question. Why is is so bad that he/she wants to find other cachers who share a similar lifestyle to them? It is no different then "hey, any northern cali cachers out there?" or "hey, any cachers who are NRA members?" In fact, I remember a long time ago discussions with christian cachers. I just do not see the harm in doing any of this.

I honestly do not see the harm in the orignal poster's question. Why is is so bad that he/she wants to find other cachers who share a similar lifestyle to them? It is no different then "hey, any northern cali cachers out there?" or "hey, any cachers who are NRA members?" In fact, I remember a long time ago discussions with christian cachers. I just do not see the harm in doing any of this.

Why are you leaving out SoCal cachers? Do you have something against them?

Coldgears,

It would be like you wanting to meet up with other young people under 18 years old around your age.

It's about people wanting to share an activity they love with people who understand them and they feel comfortable around.

With people who are gay, lesbian, bi, etc, you can take it a step further than just meeting up with someone who is your same age.

You see, people who are GLBT are still beat up for it, are still shot for it, and are harassed in forums everywhere for it. They are a minority who are persecuted for who they are.

So try to put yourself in their shoes for a while. Okay?

Now, think about being a guy who is gay. You find some guys to go out geocaching with, and they won't go looking in the bushes with you for caches because they are weird about your being gay. They don't understand it. They may make weird remarks and always be worried you're going to make a pass at them because they don't understand your being gay.

Now think about being a guy who is gay, finding a group of gay friends to cache with. In this case, the guy can actually relax and have fun. He doesn't have to worry about what weird things the other things might be thinking. He doesn't have to worry being misunderstood. He can just go have fun and not worry about anything. Just fun.

You can have a caching group of Southern CA cachers, or cachers who play Parcheesi, or cachers who are Jehovah's witnesses who used to be Scientologists, but unless you've belonged to a group of people that is still actively persecuted for who they are, you can't understand the depth of being around people you feel safe with; people you feel understood by.

Coldgears,

It would be like you wanting to meet up with other young people under 18 years old around your age.

It's about people wanting to share an activity they love with people who understand them and they feel comfortable around.

With people who are gay, lesbian, bi, etc, you can take it a step further than just meeting up with someone who is your same age.

You see, people who are GLBT are still beat up for it, are still shot for it, and are harassed in forums everywhere for it. They are a minority who are persecuted for who they are.

So try to put yourself in their shoes for a while. Okay?

Now, think about being a guy who is gay. You find some guys to go out geocaching with, and they won't go looking in the bushes with you for caches because they are weird about your being gay. They don't understand it. They may make weird remarks and always be worried you're going to make a pass at them because they don't understand your being gay.

Now think about being a guy who is gay, finding a group of gay friends to cache with. In this case, the guy can actually relax and have fun. He doesn't have to worry about what weird things the other things might be thinking. He doesn't have to worry being misunderstood. He can just go have fun and not worry about anything. Just fun.

You can have a caching group of Southern CA cachers, or cachers who play Parcheesi, or cachers who are Jehovah's witnesses who used to be Scientologists, but unless you've belonged to a group of people that is still actively persecuted for who they are, you can't understand the depth of being around people you feel safe with; people you feel understood by.

Thank you Sol seaker - Incredibly well said.

It's nice to see that it's such a non-issue that some would question why the group would need to exist. :D

To add a little to what Sol Seaker said:

As a recent example, I found a fairly local group that billed themselves as "family oriented". Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it made me stop and think. I try to take words at face value, but you have to realize that sometimes "family-oriented", "pro-family", and other terms affixed to "family" can be code with an alternate meaning. Usually it's benign but sometimes it's straight up "anti-gay" and other times it means "you can be gay but don't acknowledge it and don't you dare let my children see you holding hands with your partner."

As a person, you're vulnerable enough when meeting a new group, but as a gay person you make yourself extra-vulnerable when you 'come out' to a new group - and it's tiresome. Which is why I went searching for an LGBT group. Not to say that I would ever exclude straight folk, I've never been part of an LGBT group that *didn't* include straight people. The thing is, it's just easier to be comfortable in your own skin when you know the group is explicitly accepting of all "lifestyles" and you don't have to suss out the details.

I'm asexual, so not exactly in that field, but still out there. Hello! Nice to meet you all.

If there are any other asexuals, I'd like to meet you, too.

Also, if you have a problem with the post, you should really just ignore it, rather than come inside and spout off your complaints. It's not harming you in any way...

I'm asexual, so not exactly in that field, but still out there. Hello! Nice to meet you all.

If there are any other asexuals, I'd like to meet you, too.

Also, if you have a problem with the post, you should really just ignore it, rather than come inside and spout off your complaints. It's not harming you in any way...

Maybe you should start your own asexual cachers thread and stop trying to hijack this one.

What I got from this thread is that LGBT caches don't feel comfortable caching with straight or asexual cachers. I didn't know that my being straight made anyone uncomfortable. I'll definitely be more aware of how straight I'm being around other cachers and when I'm out caching. In the future and try and tone it down a bit, okay.

One more homo in Tiffin, Ohio.

I love to see when others are forced to face their insecurities in their sexuality and ultimately in their own identities. I don't know if my ability to grasp and understand who I am and who I love shines a light into your soul that makes you squirm, or I the fact that I found the courage to question the popular idea that loving women is the correct thing for men to do. I know that my sexuality does not interfere with their sexuality, but rather it is the fact that I can identify who I am as a person that makes most people uncomfortable because they simply identify themselves by what is around them. To answer the question of "To be or not to be", one must first know "What to be or what not to be."

Now mind you, I am rarely identified by others as gay and new friends will actually ask if I am straight or gay, so I am not a flamer nor do I flaunt my sexuality for the entire world to know, but I am apologetically who I am and will not back down when I see discrimination or the bullying of a fellow lgbtqao (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, asexual, omnisexual). It is not the fact that we wish to separate ourselves from society, but rather have learned that society will not accept, defend, nor protect us if we do not stand up and take care of ourselves. And there is always the rare and precious few who step outside of the status-quo and will defend and love those who have a different view of life, but to be expected to sit and wait for someone like that to come along places me in the category of infants, the comatose, women in the 1800's and the slaves of the South.

Any fellow lgbtqao's in or who will be in Northwest Ohio, I would love to meet you; anyone else in or who will be in Northwest Ohio, I would love to meet you.