BeelineGPS

chizu

Our ancient Palm bit the dust last week and we've upgraded via ebay to a nice colour pocket PC, not high spec but good enough for cachemate. Searching around for other geocaching software I've come across BeeLineGPS, which looks like it does the same as cachemate - have people used this and does it have any advantages or disadvantages over cachemate?

Is there any other software that is a must have for a pocket PC - especially any cheap(ish) mapping software? Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!!

Look like it does the same as 'BasicGPS' the only difference I can see is that BasicGPS is free.

Give it a try http://www.basicgps.co.uk/.

BasicGPS also links to googlemaps but you would need a sim card and a data plan to keep the costs down.

As for the maps as you are probably aware mapping software is not cheap but these are probably the cheapest for a full package(still not cheap though) http://www.mapyx.com/

Hope this helps

Look like it does the same as 'BasicGPS' the only difference I can see is that BasicGPS is free.

Give it a try http://www.basicgps.co.uk/.

BasicGPS also links to googlemaps but you would need a sim card and a data plan to keep the costs down.

As for the maps as you are probably aware mapping software is not cheap but these are probably the cheapest for a full package(still not cheap though) http://www.mapyx.com/

Hope this helps

In terms of mapping, we actually have cheap access to uk maps in tiff format, we just need a viewer!

Edited to add that I've just looked at basicGPS and it's too advanced for our old PDA (well it's an old model but new to us!) which only runs windows 2003.

Edited by chizu

I have tried and used GCz on my WIndows Mobile phone as well and that works well and is free. It's great fro impromptu caching sessions (no GPS with me) as it will sue the phone's GPS for a location and log into GC.com and come back with a list of nearby caches and show all of the info, hint & previous logs. Plus it allows you to log your find straight from the phone. It is really handy and as I say it is totally free.

Have a look here

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Our ancient Palm bit the dust last week and we've upgraded via ebay to a nice colour pocket PC, not high spec but good enough for cachemate. Searching around for other geocaching software I've come across BeeLineGPS, which looks like it does the same as cachemate - have people used this and does it have any advantages or disadvantages over cachemate?

Is there any other software that is a must have for a pocket PC - especially any cheap(ish) mapping software? Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!!

We have used it on our medion PDA and it works well, but I think the GPS on the PDA was so slow we have given up using it and bought a Oregon, which is mega accurate. :o java script:emoticon(':)',%20'smid_3')

Have used both Beeline and cachemate and would go for cachemate every time. Beeline tends (on my pda at least) to cause the battery to flatten much quicker and with GSAK & cachemate its easier to get all the caches to the PDA and to log them after and it supports spoiler sync as well. In addition Cachemate also has a load of other features that Beeline does not have.

Edited by Big Wolf

I have tried and used GCz on my WIndows Mobile phone as well and that works well and is free.

Have just tried this, looks great. I uploaded my GPX into it okay and can see all the details, but then it'll insist on going to the Internet for details ?!?

Any expert Users around ?

I have tried and used GCz on my WIndows Mobile phone as well and that works well and is free.

Have just tried this, looks great. I uploaded my GPX into it okay and can see all the details, but then it'll insist on going to the Internet for details ?!?

Any expert Users around ?

I'm now an expert, load the latest version. :(

Have used both Beeline and cachemate and would go for cachemate every time.

I have used "cachemate" and liked it a lot, the only reason i don't still use it is that every time you go off the navigation page back to the cache descrition, it turns off the gpsr (only a prob if you have an internal reciver), so - when you go back to the navigation page you have to wait for it to get a fix again, a "glich" which i found very anoying and time consuming

I have used "cachemate" and liked it a lot, the only reason i don't still use it is that every time you go off the navigation page back to the cache descrition, it turns off the gpsr

Perhaps this could be an issue on your particular PDA as mine (and others) work fine and don't do this.

I have used "cachemate" and liked it a lot, the only reason i don't still use it is that every time you go off the navigation page back to the cache descrition, it turns off the gpsr

Perhaps this could be an issue on your particular PDA as mine (and others) work fine and don't do this.

That is posible, but i have used it on 2 PDAs and it has done this on both, but knowing that you (and others) have found this not to be the case i will investigate further, because i do like cachemate

Ran a PDA next to a Garmin for a long while, but wasn't a Premium Member so there was alot of faffing...

Became a Member and bought cachemate for the PDA and still used the Garmin; much more enjoyable. :unsure:

Upgraded to a PDA with GPS, but without SN turned off cachemate was if little use and the Garmin was still in use.

I then bought MemoryMap which then links to cachmate. The Garmin was sold....

Have recently been using GCz, which is now my fave app.

So to summarise...

I use MemoryMap if I don't know where I'm going and link with cachemate for info.

If I know where I'm going I use GCz.

GCz is also great for getting nearby caches from a Hotspot/phone when no GPX is available.

PS New version 0.2.34.7 of GCz out today.