Cache page background

e-remes

Go to >Edit Listing. You'll see a box to add a background image URL. You can either use the URL to an image already on the web (make sure it's ok to use the image) or upload your own image to a free photo sharing site such as Flickr and use the URL for that..

Dangit! I have been trying to put a background on our listing for so long, and I am just not doing something right... I did axactly what you said. What could it be?

Where is the picture stored?

Flickr. Do some images not let you paste them?

I've never used Flickr, so I'm not sure of the policies of that site.

If it's not a secret, can you post the picture here to see if it will work?

I'll give it a go...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rayds/2288413467/

OK, if I click on your link, I go to the Flickr site and your account and can see the picture.

However, if I right click on the picture and say "View Image", I go to a different site and only see a blank screen.

I'd say there is something amiss between the original location and the way you have it in Flickr.

Did you download the image and then upload it to Flickr or just link to it from Flickr?

Edited by Allanon

OK, if I click on your link, I go to the Flickr site and your account and can see the picture.

However, if I right click on the picture and say "View Image", I go to a different site and only see a blank screen.

I'd say there is something amiss between the original location and the way you have it in Flickr.

Did you download the image and then upload it to Flickr or just link to it from Flickr?

I just found it on flickr. I think my husband is making to progress.

Thanks for all your help!

OK, first thing thats really important is that for a background picture, the URL should end in .gif or .jpg or .bmp or .png

When you use the URL for the "page" your image is on then it won't work

This is the actal URL for the picture

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/228841..._668d2b5e3d.jpg

Thogh FlickR is known for recycling the numbers to keep people from hotlinking the pictures that customers store there. What that means is that even though the picture works today, its possible it won't have the same URL tomorrow and could disappear as a background image.

HTH

Edited by bittsen

Thogh FlickR is known for recycling the numbers to keep people from hotlinking the pictures that customers store there. What that means is that even though the picture works today, its possible it won't have the same URL tomorrow and could disappear as a background image.

HTH

Perhaps that's the case if you're linking to an image that's not yours but I've been linking to my own Flickr images for my cache pages for a long time and have never had a problem.

HTH

Perhaps that's the case if you're linking to an image that's not yours but I've been linking to my own Flickr images for my cache pages for a long time and have never had a problem.

Honestly only seen the problem in forum posts. I suspect FlickR has a set number of hits before they disable (or move) the picture.

I don't use any online file storage service. I rent speace on a server and set my limits myself. I don't care if people hotlink my images but it seems as though FlickR does.

Just a personal note - when I am using my Blackberry to geocache it is very very hard to read text if the page has a busy picture background. We recently cached in Puerto Rico and were totally frustrated by a couple of caches we wanted to find, but could not because the text was not readable over the top of a busy picture.