Cache Deactivation Service

lem1

Hello guys,

Im pretty new to geocaching (8days). I am based in Panama at the moment and I have visited some wonderful places throughout this last week of geocaching.

It has come to my attention that some of the caches that I had to find were "abandoned". There is only 32 caches in Panama so these kind of things have a bigger impact that in a country such as the US where there is thousands or more.

As an example I wanted to show this cache: GCYKT8. The owner has not been in Panama for 2 years and he has not even been active in this website for 1 year. Everyone who has gone there found nothing in the last year or two.

So the suggestion to Geocaching.com is, shouldn't there be a service where users can perhaps ask admins to deactivate the cache if a number of members do not find it and the owner does not maintain it anymore or clearly stopped coming to this website altogether?

Thank you for this great new hobby :)

lem1

Hello guys,

Im pretty new to geocaching (8days). I am based in Panama at the moment and I have visited some wonderful places throughout this last week of geocaching.

It has come to my attention that some of the caches that I had to find were "abandoned". There is only 32 caches in Panama so these kind of things have a bigger impact that in a country such as the US where there is thousands or more.

As an example I wanted to show this cache: GCYKT8. The owner has not been in Panama for 2 years and he has not even been active in this website for 1 year. Everyone who has gone there found nothing in the last year or two.

So the suggestion to Geocaching.com is, shouldn't there be a service where users can perhaps ask admins to deactivate the cache if a number of members do not find it and the owner does not maintain it anymore or clearly stopped coming to this website altogether?

lem1

Go to the cache page and click on the Log your visit link. Select the Should be Archived option instead of the Found it option. This will notify the admin who is responsible for your area and they will archive the cache.

I see, thank you for your response webscouter. What do you mean by archived though? Like its stored but not shown in the map or will it continue to show but warn next cachers of its status? Sorry im new and Im not familiar with all the terms.

I see, thank you for your response webscouter. What do you mean by archived though? Like its stored but not shown in the map or will it continue to show but warn next cachers of its status? Sorry im new and Im not familiar with all the terms.

It won't show on maps or searches. It also opens up the area so that you can hide your own cache there if you wish.

... There is only 32 caches in Panama so these kind of things have a bigger impact that in a country such as the US where there is thousands or more...

lem1

Welcome to the forums - You'll soon be able to say that you've found all the caches in the country! - There are not many geocachers who will be able to make a similar claim. :lol:

You will be doing a useful service by searching out all the Panama caches and adding suitable logs. If you can see that there have been DNF logs with no follow up response from the cache owner and you've made a good search and feel fairly certain that the cache has gone then a 'Needs Archive' log will alert the cache reviewer for your area to have a look at the situation. The reviewer will then decide what further action is appropriate.

MrsB :blink: