Best Geocaching Setting Oregon 400t

I have an Oregon 400t and have been using it for about six months. I've had quit a bit of success until lately.

I set the compass off and set the map up with distance to target and pointer. I have been having problems with the distance and arrow bounce.

I was wondering what set up some of you are using for geocaching. Should I use WASS? Set the pointer to true North? What bearing should I set? Etc.

Or is this just a problem all oregons are experiencing lately?

Thanks

Whimppeys

Or is this just a problem all oregons are experiencing lately?

This. Seems to be related to the receiver, a weaker signal, and slow speeds. We're all waiting for a fix. Until then I plan to use a real compass bearing when I'm a decent distance from the point and follow that on in. Bearing should be fairly stable even if the directional pointer is bouncing.

My compass is sometimes very erratic on my 400t. I've been about 1/2 mile from a cache and seen the needle flop 180 deg back and forth every few seconds. Gets annoying at times.

I had this problem and I contacted the Garmin support which couldn't help me and said that I should send it in for a replacement. So I decided to experiment.

The solution that worked for me was:

- Updating to 3.01B firmware (not necessary but I formated the card so it didn't hurt)

- Removed the flash card

- Hard reset

- Left GPS outside under clear sky for 20 minutes

- Calibrated the compass

- Formated the SD card to FAT32 (it was fat before and I had some problems with it)

- Reinstalled all the maps

The compass can show hold steady message but it still moves and it only points a little of if it displays the message else it's spot on. The compass never freezes or jumps as it did before.