Newbies in Brighton

Hello out there!

We found our first cache during our holiday in Ireland and now we want to add some more to our account. But as here in Brighton are mainly micro caches and lots of muggles, it would be great to have some help from geacaching pros. Anybody willing to show us some tips and tricks?

mmmh... this post should have been in the "Adopt a newbie" thread and I can't delete it. Anyway, it would be great to meet some other geocachers down here in B.

Edited by tuna-and-the-brain

Hi and welcome to this hobby/addiction :)

I am in Eastbourne, so not really close enough to help, though feel free to email/message if need be.

There are 2 meets coming up in sussex

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...af-dccdc3795956

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1TAEQ

Pop along if you can. If you attend you can log this and it counts as a find too :blink:

Happy caching.

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your reply and the links.

Unfortunately we won't make it this week, but we will try to join next time. And also added the MEGA Event to our schedule.

In the meantime we will try to find some easier caches and learn a bit more about the way they hidden. The micro ones we were looking for in Brighton are driving us crazy, but we won't give up :o

Cheers and happy hunting.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I think most cachers would say that urban nano and micro caches can be pretty tricky for brand new geocachers to locate... until they get their eye in. :o

Do you know what they look like? If not, google images for 'nano cache' and 'micro cache' to give you an idea what sort of thing they might be. The nano caches are typically magnetic and are often on the back/underneath benches, streetsigns, on pieces of sculpture etc.

When you feel you've done a good search and still can't find it then log a DNF - It's part of your caching history and development - there's no shame in a DNF! Such logs will be interesting reading in a year's time when you're well-established cachers... You'll be able to say, "Can you believe it? We couldn't even find xxxx cache then!"

Also, there's nothing wrong with contacting the cache owner, explaining that you're very new to the game and asking for an extra 'nudge' to help you along.

MrsB

In the meantime we will try to find some easier caches and learn a bit more about the way they hidden. The micro ones we were looking for in Brighton are driving us crazy, but we won't give up :o

If you are in the Horsham area anytime then let me know and I'll happily show you round some of the larger caches and series we have round here. Please bear in mind that I don't drive.

Some of the ones along Brighton seafront are pretty tricky ;-)

Regards,

Martin

Hi,

We are probably the nearest cachers being in Saltdean. Unfortunately we are not so active at the moment: having just joined the National Trust that is taking up our weekends - and we are away on holiday soon.

If I can blow my own trumpet, you might like to try our Vanished Village cache for a nice walk in the countryside with a normal sized cache at the end.

Cheers,

Trevor

Hi, Fellow Brighton Cacher here.

I have just reached my century of caches so not as experienced as some but a few successful finds :o

Drop me a PM if your interested in a joint expedition some time, always happy to help....I have some DNFs on seafront caches but haven't been down their for a while as I tend to head North onto the downs....Still on the radar though!

Chris

The_Street_Searchers

In the meantime we will try to find some easier caches and learn a bit more about the way they hidden. The micro ones we were looking for in Brighton are driving us crazy, but we won't give up :(

If you are in the Horsham area anytime then let me know and I'll happily show you round some of the larger caches and series we have round here. Please bear in mind that I don't drive.

Some of the ones along Brighton seafront are pretty tricky ;-)

Regards,

Martin

Hey Martin,

I am sure we will make our way up to Horsham some day and I will keep in touch so you can show us around. Sounds like have some very nice caches in mind :D

Talk soon,

Marc

In the meantime we will try to find some easier caches and learn a bit more about the way they hidden. The micro ones we were looking for in Brighton are driving us crazy, but we won't give up :(

Hi,

We are probably the nearest cachers being in Saltdean. Unfortunately we are not so active at the moment: having just joined the National Trust that is taking up our weekends - and we are away on holiday soon.

If I can blow my own trumpet, you might like to try our Vanished Village cache for a nice walk in the countryside with a normal sized cache at the end.

Cheers,

Trevor

Hey Trevor,

Your Vanished Village cache is now in my watchlist and we will give it a try soon. Thanks for the hint.

Enjoy your holiday!

Cheers,

Marc

We are very lucky to have some prolific and considered cache setters in Sussex - I wont risk naming them because i would be bound to forget someone and cause offence! - so there are lots of really good cache trails and stand alone caches around.

Very close to Brighton is Sadexploration's Devils Dyke Circular series which is great fun and should be compulsory for all cachers to do before they are allowed to set caches. I'd highly recommend it.

Nick

AKA Daddy Leprechaun

We are very lucky to have some prolific and considered cache setters in Sussex - I wont risk naming them because i would be bound to forget someone and cause offence! - so there are lots of really good cache trails and stand alone caches around.

Very close to Brighton is Sadexploration's Devils Dyke Circular series which is great fun and should be compulsory for all cachers to do before they are allowed to set caches. I'd highly recommend it.

Nick

AKA Daddy Leprechaun

Hey Nick,

The Devils Dyke caches are definitely on our list and we will find them hopefully soon.

I just had a look at your profile - very impressive cache stats! Might take a while to find as many as the Leprechauns did :D

Happy caching!

Marc

Hi and welcome to this hobby/addiction :cool:

I am in Eastbourne, so not really close enough to help, though feel free to email/message if need be.

There are 2 meets coming up in sussex

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...af-dccdc3795956

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1TAEQ

Pop along if you can. If you attend you can log this and it counts as a find too :laughing:

Happy caching.

How do you find the events?

Go to this page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx

Select "Event cache" and "By State/Country" from the two drop-downs.

(Page refreshes)

Then under Country select "United Kingdom"

Then either select your region, or leave it on "Select All"...

Press "Seek"...

You'll get all the Up and Coming event caches listed in the first two or three pages.

MrsB :wub: