Trading Etiquette

Clan Doyle

I looked into the forums, and didn't find another thread, so I'm starting a new one.

Recently, I traded coins with an individual. I received his coin, in a timely manner, and was pleased. We had both sent them on the same day, according to the post mark, so I assumed that he would be getting his soon, if not already.

I received an email a couple days later, saying that he had not received his trade yet. Now, I have had trades coming my way lost in the mail, as well as having some that I sent out lost as well. I informed the individual that if it did not turn up in a week, I would send him another, since sometimes the USPS is kinda slow.

Yesterday (exactly a week later) I received another email stating that the coin had not arrived. I looked through my old emails, and realized that I had deleted this individuals address. I replied, stating such, and asked for him to resend his address so I could get him another coin in the mail within the next few days.

This morning I received yet another email, containing the address and saying that this was the worst trading experience he had ever had, and demanding that I just send him back his coin.

Now, if I had insured it, the post office would require 45 days before claiming the package was lost. I assumed it was lost after a week and a half, and offered to make it right, though it was no fault of mine.

My question is...what did I do wrong? Should I have sent out another right away? Should I return the coin, or send one of mine? Should I be upset about this, take the blame for a deal gone bad, or chalk it up to him being someone who just shouldn't be traded with?

Mostly, this is venting, but I'd really like feedback, since if I did do something wrong, I'd like to not do it again. Thanx.

Edited by Clan Doyle

In my mind I don't think that you did anything wrong. You offered to fix something that wasn't your fault. Asking for the address again should not have sent the other person off either. I know another person in that same situation decided to send the coin back rather than send your coin. They said every time they looked at it, it would be a reminder.

I send mine out through paypal shipping because it is easier than waiting in line. That way too I get delivery confirmation. One time coins I sent out went from Detroit to Atlanta before St Louis the destination. It took about 3 weeks. But with the delivery confirmation the guy could watch it and know I sent it out

don't trade with that person again!

It seems to me you went beyond the call to appease their misfortune. You paid your shipping fee and trusted the shipping company to deliver as promised; it didn't. You are equally the victim of the misfortune, of the shipping company's failure to deliver as promised. If an offer to replace the coin lost by the shipper does not appease your trading partner I would posit they do not deserve your kindness.

Edited by Droo

How ridiculus to expect coins to arrive within a week or two.

Even within Germany I had packages take up to 4 weeks!

Okay, that's an exeption, but it can happen.

Take a note of that persons address and never trade with him again.

I've traded a lot now, and never did a coin not turn up, it is just a question of time. Postal service can be quick, but not neccessarily. So a little bit of patience is not to much to ask.

My flower mission package took over 6 weeks to reach the States.

You didn't do anything wrong. I'd say, you went well beyond and above what should be done.

Most of the times, I wouldn't even have a replacement coin here....

Well, I have now been called a liar that never sent out the first coin. This individual is now on auto-delete. I only post this, as I believe this person to be the sort who would try to hurt my trading reputation here. I will not post thier name, as that is beneath me, but rest assured, I will not be trading with this individual again.

For all of you who have made wonderful trades with me, I thank you. I will not let this sour my hobby. Thanx for all your support.

Well, I have now been called a liar that never sent out the first coin. This individual is now on auto-delete. I only post this, as I believe this person to be the sort who would try to hurt my trading reputation here. I will not post thier name, as that is beneath me, but rest assured, I will not be trading with this individual again.

For all of you who have made wonderful trades with me, I thank you. I will not let this sour my hobby. Thanx for all your support.

I have learned in the Geocaching world you have to be strong and learn how to deal with issues.

Any Orginizations you get involved with will have issues but you have to learn how to deal with them and be strong to not let them ruin it for you.

Good luck on this issue and i hope the best for you on getting it resolved.

sorry you had such a bad experience. in my short time in the coining world i have already not received two coins. it must be the vegas post office keeping them and putting them into the slot machines.

keep the faith that most trades go well. make sure when you send back the coin that it is insured and trackable..

Don't send his coin back, because then he could potentially have both yours and his.

But that's a stretch, I've never had a trade go bad, wooden nickels, poker chips, or coins.

But I had a trade where the other person fat-fingered typing their address in the e-mail they sent, so the number in the street address was wrong, and my coin came back to me a month later. But they were very cool about it after I asked to verify their address and they noticed it was wrong.

So verify the address is correct, wait another week or two for the coin to show-up somewhere, and then send them another. I know that potentially leaves you out one coin, and leaves them really pissed until they get it. But it's the only fair way.

If they don't get the second coin, you can bet they lied twice, and you can have the satisfaction of telling them exactly where to put both of them.

:)

I have had many wonderful trades and have never had a problem these last three years. Two things I always do and I wish all my trading partners would do likewise: 1) Indicate day-date when the coin is actually being mailed and 2) send an email on the day it is received. This will give the sender reassurance that all is well. :)

I'll vouch for your integrity Clan Doyle. We traded and all went well :)

I guess what you need is a bit of trust. And I have experienced that one can trust most of the coiners here. I also had issues with trades, but the problems were solved really easily. I don't think you did anything wrong. I would have appreciated your offer if I were the person you traded with.

So please continue trading as it is one of the fun parts with Geocoins! Just trust your gut feeling and if you feel uncomfortable don't trade!

Whitby

Part of me wants to say that if this is that trader's "worst experience" ... well, he or she is lucky. There have been folks who posted about horrible experiences with multiple coins. This doesn't even come on the radar.

Lord knows the USPS has mis-put things: I'm still waiting for a coin I bought nearly two years ago. I know it got as far as a city north of me, then dropped off the map. I shrugged my shoulders and said "Oh well...maybe it will show up someday."

Trust..I still have a trade with another coin here hanging fire: I sent my coin when he didn't have anything I wanted and I told him that I was sure one of these days I'd see something in his list and email him. :o

Unless I think I've been deliberately abused, it's all fun for me. The day it goes sour is the day I stop with geocoins.

Hang in there, Clan Doyle. You tried your darnedest to make a good trade. Hold your head up and shrug your shoulders and go on.

As for the coin, I'd send it back with confirmation and maybe even insurance. I'm just cross-grained enough to trump any suggestion of dishonesty with overkill. Stink on 'em.

Edited by ATMouse