landscape keyboard

RogFel

Is there anyway that I can convince someone that this app needs the landscape keyboard for us fat fingered people that try to do field notes while hiking?

+1.. although personally, I only use the field note to actually act as a bread crumb of sorts.. then when I get home, I bring up my field notes, add some good comments (no lame TFTC stuff) and submit them..

Is there anyway that I can convince someone that this app needs the landscape keyboard for us fat fingered people that try to do field notes while hiking?

To quote Obi Wan, "Use the force. Let it flow through you." :laughing:

I find that if I stop focusing on pressing specific keys that the iPhone does a very good job of figuring out what I meant to type. The only issue really is that it doesn't work if you are a lousy speller. Fortunately, my parents drilled spelling into me as a kid, so that's not much of a problem for me.

John

I just realized that when you tap a key, if you if you hold your finger down, you can slide your finger around until you have the right key then release.

Interesting technical tidbit for you: the iPhone software dynamically resizes the hit areas of the keys bases on some kind of probabilistic model of what keys you are more likely to hit next. That's why you don't have to be so exact in your typing on the keyboard: the phone is trying to figure out which keys make the most sense based on the context of what you are typing.

Now back to our regular argument on the sutability of the iPhone GPS for placing caches. :laughing:

John

I'm the same as pirate. I find the landscape mode confuses my fingers, and I type the wrong thing, but it would make sense to have it in the GC app and be uniform with most other programs.

Can't it just flip itself depending on how you're holding the phone?

It does with virtually ever other iPhone app but this one. There is no landscape mode for the iPhone Geocaching app, but there should be! Yes, please, please, please add this feature!

I'm the same as pirate. I find the landscape mode confuses my fingers, and I type the wrong thing, but it would make sense to have it in the GC app and be uniform with most other programs.

Can't it just flip itself depending on how you're holding the phone?

It does with virtually ever other iPhone app but this one. There is no landscape mode for the iPhone Geocaching app, but there should be! Yes, please, please, please add this feature!

I agree! This app is so amazing and the missing landscape mode is the only thing that make me prefer the website to the app when logging a cache. Please add this to your next update! I'm pretty sure it's a simple feature to add, but it would help a lot! Thanks!