Do you read the FAQ?

In case you are wondering where it is, click here: Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions

----

Just one of several examples there's a pinned thread in the TB forum that reads: WHY ISN'T MY TRACKABLE'S MILEAGE SHOWING UP? and people still post new threads about mileage not working.

Many people post in the Getting Started forum asking questions that are provided in the FAQ.

Is there a better way to help people help themselves? Do they need better directions to the FAQ?

Nice. :anitongue:

I'm thinking I need to include a link to the FAQ every time I respond to a thread. Over-saturation to get the word out.

Whats wrong with reading the FAQs and then going to the forum to ask?

You make it sound like its a horrible inconvenience to be posting and reading the forums.

I'm thinking I need to include a link to the FAQ every time I respond to a thread. Over-saturation to get the word out.

You make it sound like its a horrible inconvenience to be posting and reading the forums.

Hold on just one second here bub.

You are pointing a finger in the wrong direction. I have no problem with answering any question.

If we are working to answer questions why wouldn't we want to provide easy access? Why should people have to repeatedly ask the same questions by posting a new thread?

Okay?

Thank you.

What's wrong with reading the FAQ, getting your answer, then not posting a question as a thread that has already been posted ad nauseum?

What's wrong with reading the FAQ, getting your answer, then not posting a question as a thread that has already been posted ad nauseum?

To each their own. If you think it's ad nauseum then why bother to even look when you see the title?

To each their own. If you think it's ad nauseum then why bother to even look when you see the title?

You're missing the point. The multiple repeat threads are a sign that the communication could be delivered, or presented better. There might be a better way than multiple repeat threads.

I think this is what The Great Blue One is saying.

If we are working to answer questions why wouldn't we want to provide easy access? Why should people have to repeatedly ask the same questions by posting a new thread?

Oh, don't mind the nudge.

People don't read the FAQs because they are too lazy to! The modern American concept of ME ME ME. No one else could ever have asked: How do I change my screen name. &c.

bump

:laughing:

You could just have the link as part of your signature. There's someone here who has put the link to GeoLex in his/her signature and after seeing it over and over I finally clicked over to read it. I think over-saturation (as long as it's not rudely done) is a good thing.

Carolyn

bump

You could just have the link as part of your signature. There's someone here who has put the link to GeoLex in his/her signature and after seeing it over and over I finally clicked over to read it. I think over-saturation (as long as it's not rudely done) is a good thing.

Carolyn

Eartha in the TB forum often points people to her signature information links. Seems like a good way to direct people to the information they might need.

By over-saturation I mean give the link information even though their main question was answered.

Edited by BlueDeuce

You'd think I'd know better. The real problem is people carping about having to answer questions.

Consider this a collective: Shut yer piehole if you don't like a thread. I'll do the same.

I like the thread.

Think of how boring this place would be if everyone spent the time to read all the previous threads and the FAQs.

I think too much fuss has been placed on "we went over this subject here, and here, and here, and here..."

You'd think I'd know better. The real problem is people carping about having to answer questions.

Consider this a collective: Shut yer piehole if you don't like a thread. I'll do the same.

I like the thread.

Think of how boring this place would be if everyone spent the time to read all the previous threads and the FAQs.

I think too much fuss has been placed on "we went over this subject here, and here, and here, and here..."

I really, really hate to admit it, but I do have to agree with you there, Bittsen, but not in this case. There is a good reason for an FAQ and that reason is simply to try to head off certain frequently asked questions like "How do I change my username".

bump

Carolyn

I wasn't wanting to be rude. Eartha in the TB forum often points people to her signature information links. Seems like a good way to direct people to the information they might need.

By over-saturation I mean give the link information even though their main question was answered.

I think that's the best you can do. Honestly I don't know how you do it and keep your cool. I know I've looked over the TB forum and seen "what do I do with my vehicle TB" posted five times on the first page.

You're a freaking forum saint.

BlueDeuce, I absolutely agree with you that for many, many of the routinely asked questions such as "How Do I Change My User Name", it would seem simple and easy for people to read the FAQs threads first. I always try to point people to those threads/posts if one exists.

But as to the more fundamental question of why people post questions instead of just reading, here's something that I posted on another forum some time back to a similar question.

I think that people process information differently. And people learn differently.

Not everyone can read a page full of information a extract the pieces that are pertinent to their issue and be able to apply the information to their particular situation.

Some people might read the FAQs but still are having a hard time understanding exactly what it says. By asking a question in their own words and (hopefully) getting an answer that applies specifically to them, the light bulb goes off and their understanding of the process begins to develop.

Some people don't know what they don't know, so they don't even know where to start searching on the site. There's a ton of information and they might get bogged down or intimidated by all of it. You can almost "see" their eyes glazing over in the wording of their questions.

Sometimes things need to be phrased differently for different people in order for them to have comprehension. People might say, "Oh, I didn't know that that's what that meant."

Sometimes people have a hard time seeing the similarity between their situation and one that is either in an existing thread or in the FAQs. Again because people process information differently.

People may have read something previously in the FAQs or even in the manual, but by the time they go to apply it, they have forgotten either that they read it, what it means, or how to apply it.

To me, that's why we have forums and not just a listing of FAQs.

Just my two cents (well, maybe three cents).

BlueDeuce, I absolutely agree with you that for many, many of the routinely asked questions such as "How Do I Change My User Name", it would seem simple and easy for people to read the FAQs threads first. I always try to point people to those threads/posts if one exists.

But as to the more fundamental question of why people post questions instead of just reading, here's something that I posted on another forum some time back to a similar question.

I think that people process information differently. And people learn differently.

Not everyone can read a page full of information a extract the pieces that are pertinent to their issue and be able to apply the information to their particular situation.

Some people might read the FAQs but still are having a hard time understanding exactly what it says. By asking a question in their own words and (hopefully) getting an answer that applies specifically to them, the light bulb goes off and their understanding of the process begins to develop.

Some people don't know what they don't know, so they don't even know where to start searching on the site. There's a ton of information and they might get bogged down or intimidated by all of it. You can almost "see" their eyes glazing over in the wording of their questions.

Sometimes things need to be phrased differently for different people in order for them to have comprehension. People might say, "Oh, I didn't know that that's what that meant."

Sometimes people have a hard time seeing the similarity between their situation and one that is either in an existing thread or in the FAQs. Again because people process information differently.

People may have read something previously in the FAQs or even in the manual, but by the time they go to apply it, they have forgotten either that they read it, what it means, or how to apply it.

I completely understand. I think that because people are asking questions that we think are answered means we aren't doing a good enough job.

I certainly don't expect complete answers but I think we can do better.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I completely understand. I think that because people are asking questions that we think are answered means we aren't doing a good enough job.

I'm certainly don't expect complete answers but I think we can do better.

Just remember though, almost 50% of all people have below average intelligence.

I'd say that's at least a nickle's worth. But maybe instead of making a generic FAQ as a sticky thread, each individual subject (or at least the most common ones) be broken off into their own sticky thread. What would be wrong with a "How To Change Your Username" sticky, for example? You wouldn't want to get carried away, or you'd soon end up once again with the same situation, but applied with some (aHEM!) common sense, it might help avoid some of the repetitive simple questions.

Could be that it has to do with the type of person, how BIG their problem is how many times have they been here and their familiarity with the site.

People tend to be like sheep and some need to be led around with a gentle hand. Some will find their own way and you will never hear from them again, some will get confused and stop dead in their tracks, and then the ones that took off and need chased down are the ones that create the most ruckus.

Set the forums main page so folks can only see the FAQ before they get into the beef/sub topics.

I am a excel fan and I love to freeze the top panes so no matter how far down you go the information you always need is at the top of the page. Freeze the FAQ at the top of every page then throw them at the top of the page when you want to post a new thread.

There are days it wears pretty thin.

If I can find a way to reduce the workload and still come out looking like a saint, I'm all for that. :anitongue:

But, I hid my cache twelve minutes ago, and it still hasn't been published!

I don't see this question answered in the FAQ. Please try again.

Now come on - you know as well as I do that your forum post count and Motorcycle Mamas and mine would all drop in half if more people read the FAQ throughly. :laughing::anitongue:

I actually have FAQ full of my common answers that I regularly customize for repetitive question. The website FAQ is just not attrctive enough to draw more readers. My guess anyway......

I propose a test...

Along with the "I agree to the rules..." question when you sign up for the forums, ask some questions...

"Did you read the FAQs", if no, no entry for you!

If yes, answer these questions...(TBD of course).

Will it happen?, I doubt it, but one can always hope... :anitongue:

I propose a test...

Along with the "I agree to the rules..." question when you sign up for the forums, ask some questions...

I once proposed that all new cachers take a quiz before submitting a new hide.....

http://wnag.net/checklist/

Now come on - you know as well as I do that your forum post count and Motorcycle Mamas and mine would all drop in half if more people read the FAQ throughly. :laughing::anitongue:

I actually have FAQ full of my common answers that I regularly customize for repetitive question. The website FAQ is just not attractive enough to draw more readers. My guess anyway......

Never a bad word from you folks willing to answer someone's question.

I do the same. Kind of a personal FAQ that you draw from.

I propose a test...

I once proposed that all new cachers take a quiz before submitting a new hide.....

http://wnag.net/checklist/

You need an "I don't know" button that acts like the no button... :laughing:

Eartha in the TB forum often points people to her signature information links. Seems like a good way to direct people to the information they might need.

That's what I thought you meant and it sounds like a good idea to me. One thing to think about is that if you always give the link or always have it in your signature you may not be preventing Cacher A's redundant question, but you are certainly helping the silent Cachers B, C, D, E, F, and G find their way to the FAQ.

One other thing to consider is that people may think that the FAQ applies primarily to the forum rather than to geocaching in general. It is named "Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions" but that doesn't mean people understand it as primarily about geocaching the activity. The forum has a different look and feel than geocaching.com does. At first I wondered whether they were run by two different entities.

However, if your signature line read something like:

"Got a question about your log? Changing Names? Hiding a cache? Or anything about geocaching? Check the FAQ for fast answers."

This would drive people to the FAQ in ways that a static link at the top of the page doesn't. Things seem friendlier when real people promote them.

Carolyn

What's a FAQ?

:anitongue:

Just go to this thread started by the one and all knowing knower of Chad.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3992744

Of course you will have to c/p his link because he didn't complete it, and he won't allow you to respond to his FAQ thread unless you bump it to the top so everyone can see what a master of the forums he is and all but it's there.

It doesn't really explain what a FAQ is or anything but it does say what you will find in the FAQ if you manage to get to them.

(snip) ...

One other thing to consider is that people may think that the FAQ applies primarily to the forum rather than to geocaching in general. It is named "Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions" but that doesn't mean people understand it as primarily about geocaching the activity. The forum has a different look and feel than geocaching.com does. At first I wondered whether they were run by two different entities.

"Got a question about your log? Changing Names? Hiding a cache? Or anything about geocaching? Check the FAQ for fast answers."

This would drive people to the FAQ in ways that a static link at the top of the page doesn't. Things seem friendlier when real people promote them.

Carolyn

Thank you. Now that you say it it seems obvious. Simple and straight forward is always the best approach.

Carolyn

That's actually an excellent idea, Carolyn! You should do it. Maybe we all should!!

Gee it would be great if someone had an FAQ and then posted a friendly invitiation to users to read it on every one of their posts in the forums. Wouldn't be even better if that user had over 7,000 posts in the forums so it's widely scattered throughout the entire board. Or better yet - maybe a moderator...

Yea, that'd be great!

Edited by Markwell

Gee it would be great if someone had an FAQ and then posted a friendly invitiation to users to read it on every one of their posts in the forums. Wouldn't be even better if that user had over 7,000 posts in the forums so it's widely scattered throughout the entire board. Or better yet - maybe a moderator...

Yea, that'd be great!

I said it was obvious. Just another day where someone had to point it out to me.

Now, what are some other ideas?

Edited by BlueDeuce

funny, I was reading thread, thinking that the FAQs are being supplanted by the much broader Knowledgebase!

Seems that in spite of a number of sig lines, not many have noticed.

One other thing to consider is that people may think that the FAQ applies primarily to the forum rather than to geocaching in general.

Excellent point! I remember thinking that myself a while back, and being somewhat surprised when I finally opened that FAQ to read geocaching stuff - I was looking for something Forum related. Found both.

Yea, that'd be great!

:)

I said it was obvious. Just another day where someone had to point it out to me.

Now, what are some other ideas?

They were teasing you? I thought they were teasing me. I immediately looked for my tadpole protective screen, but alas, apparently I have posted too much and found too many caches to be protected by the tadpole screen. :blink:

Of course since they were teasing you, well, that's ok then. :lol:

Carolyn