Bday party cache hunts

I was just curious as to if anyone has ever put together a cache hunt for a birthday party for kids? My parents live out on a acreage next to my brother and sister-in-law who have a small farm so they have several acres of open space that would be great for geocaching. The cool thing is that we wouldn't be limited to the normal restrictions (such as burying caches) that need to apply to caches posted on geocaching.com.

I was just thinking this would be a fun activity for a group of kids and wondered if anyone had done anything similar.

I have seen posts in the past where a set of caches are done for a particular event. However they cannot be listed on the website and you don't get to log them but people had fun.

If you are thinking about a event cache it would have to be open to everybody so that probably wouldn't work.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Our caching partner was asked to set up some caches for a Cub Scout mountain campout. Requirements: 2 mile hike and keep 'em busy for at least 2 hours. We went up a few days before and planned the route and cache locations. We also discussed how this would have to take place to accomodate 25 or so scouts.

We set out 5 caches and used 2 real caches; one of which was a suprise to us when it popped up on the GPS. We varied the terrain and difficulty to find andmethod of hiding/camo.

I could not partake in the actual event but later discussed the procedings. There was a short lecture/discussion on what Geocaching is and the concept of coordinates and the GPSr. "Short" is the operative word when you are dealing with kids. Then, on to the hike.

First the scouts were broken up into 5 groups, each with a GPS and adult supervision. The groups stayed close together because no one else knew how use the GPS. Each group took turns leading the hunt with the assistance of our partner. Each cache held the coordinates for the next cache, but the coords were already entered into the GPS units to save time (that's the way it works anyway).

The kids had a great time, hiked in the mountains, found some caches, signed some logs (even the 2 real ones), and got back just in time for lunch. Sounds like my kind of morning.

Some of the terrain was steep. There was only one injury - our partner's pride was bruised when he slid a short distance down the hill on his butt.

As to the rattlesnakes - there were many in the area; none were seen.

I was just curious as to if anyone has ever put together a cache hunt for a birthday party for kids? My parents live out on a acreage next to my brother and sister-in-law who have a small farm so they have several acres of open space that would be great for geocaching. The cool thing is that we wouldn't be limited to the normal restrictions (such as burying caches) that need to apply to caches posted on geocaching.com.

I was just thinking this would be a fun activity for a group of kids and wondered if anyone had done anything similar.

I've done small cache hunts for my wife's gifts a couple of times in the past...

That is funny Jester. My wife I'm quite certain would kill me if I made her hunt for gifts like that. Would have been great when I proposed to her back in 1994. We went to a local state park and I sent her on a scavenger hunt to various places around the park to collect items that represented our relationship. It ultimately led her to the observation tower where I was waiting up top with roses and the ring. Unfortunately this was in mid-November in Nebraska and it was quite cold. She was a little pissed until I took out the rock and popped the question.

As to the other points people have made regarding the original post topic. No, there are now poisonous snakes around and I had no intention of posting any of the cache coordinates on the website or in any way opening it up to the public.