24 hour Geocaching Marathon

Keith Watson

For those of you who are wondering, I will not be hosting the event this year. As fun and enjoyable as they were, those who attended can attest, some of the previous years events were darkened by rumours of damage to cache locations and mistreatment of some caches. This forced the event to go underground last year which also caused problems afterwards because some felt they had been left out. I think five years is enough and time to move on with something new and original.

I would like to that all the adventurers for coming out and enjoying the fun and comradery. What originally started as and idea between res2100 and Northern Eagle grew into a five year annual event testing the endurance of all involved. I would also like to thanks the local cachers at each event for welcoming us into their neighbourhood and giving advice on routing and trail access, not to mention letting us know what parks to avoid at night.

Some notable achievements over the years was to find every cache in Orillia, Barrie, Newmarket, Aurora, Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Oshawa, and Whitby. Congratulations to the newbie’s who not only came out with very little finds, but completed the 24 hours along with the veteran cachers.

I will still be running my annual CITO, five years running so far, and looking forward to some new events that will hopefully put a new spin events.

Excellent job Keith on keeping this going for 5 years. I know it is quite the task to plan, organize and keep up on the caches. I am pleased to have taken part in the 1st and last 24 hour marathon in their entirety. Both were lots of fun and both were completely different too. The first one however will always be the most memorable for me as the thought of going geocaching for 24 hours straight was something I wanted to see if I could do and we did it with us finding 43 caches.