SAT-NAV IN CRISIS

I read some disturbing news regarding some GPS satelittes orbiting Earth will cease to function and thus the signal shall be very inaccurate.

Please read these two articles:

Daily Telegraph: Sat nav system could break down within a year

Daily Telegraph: Ambulance drivers told to forget sat nav and use maps instead

:anitongue:

First I would suggest you stop relying on the "Daily Telegraph" for actual news.

Second, the military relies on GPS more than the general public. The chances that the US government would allow the GPS system to cease to function is minimal. It would cripple the advantage the US has, militarily speaking.

I'd be more worried about Dec. 21st 2012 when the earhs magnetic poles are going to rotae and all the satalites will either come crashing down or float away. :anitongue:

What do you mean the magnetic poles are going to rotate? Is it North pole becomes the South and vice versa?

:laughing:

I'd be more worried about Dec. 21st 2012 when the earhs magnetic poles are going to rotae and all the satalites will either come crashing down or float away. :anitongue:

What do you mean the magnetic poles are going to rotate? Is it North pole becomes the South and vice versa?

:laughing:

Yup, it happens every time we switch directions in the galaxcial woble. I can't remember if we are at the peak on that day or crossing the horizon. I think it's the peak.

Hmm, off to google.

where is the emoticon with the martian antennae?

As the GPS satelittes fail the US millitary will locate the working ones where they are needed, perhaps the Gulf states or Washington, maybe china for WW3. When we get to that time the signals from the Sat's will be encripted. Millitary use only. And as for Dec. 21st 2012 if all that happens is the poles change we will be very lucky just google the date or the "Mayan prophecy" Good luck at least we get to host the Olympics. should be some good caches for that event....

As the GPS satelittes fail the US millitary will locate the working ones where they are needed, perhaps the Gulf states or Washington, maybe china for WW3. When we get to that time the signals from the Sat's will be encripted. Millitary use only. And as for Dec. 21st 2012 if all that happens is the poles change we will be very lucky just google the date or the "Mayan prophecy" Good luck at least we get to host the Olympics. should be some good caches for that event....

Well the way the magnetic poles would move is if the mantal of the earth rotates. I can't imagine that being a smooth rotation. Probably feel like massive earthquakes all over the globe. Plus lava flows would change. Giving us new volcano's all over the world. Not to mention changing tides that'll cause massive flooding.

The Mayan prophecy does not mean the end of the world, just a big change as in the above. But then the whole Y2K thing turned out to be a dud too. So we'll see.

Well the way the magnetic poles would move is if the mantal of the earth rotates. I can't imagine that being a smooth rotation. Probably feel like massive earthquakes all over the globe. Plus lava flows would change. Giving us new volcano's all over the world. Not to mention changing tides that'll cause massive flooding.

The Mayan prophecy does not mean the end of the world, just a big change as in the above. But then the whole Y2K thing turned out to be a dud too. So we'll see.

"massive earthquakes all over the globe. Plus lava flows would change. Giving us new volcano's all over the world. Not to mention changing tides that'll cause massive flooding." HOW MANY DNF'S WOULD THAT LEAD TO? sounds serious to me. no more plastic , Ammo boxes only from then.. :anitongue:

Edited by bagwell farmers

"massive earthquakes all over the globe. Plus lava flows would change. Giving us new volcano's all over the world. Not to mention changing tides that'll cause massive flooding." HOW MANY DNF'S WOULD THAT LEAD TO? sounds serious to me. no more plastic , Ammo boxes only from then.. :laughing:

A lot more Earth Caches will pop up. :anitongue:

Plus lava flows would change. Giving us new volcano's all over the world. Not to mention changing tides that'll cause massive flooding.

According to the History Channel, this is when all the dinosaurs became extinct.

When the poles switch again, will they come back? :anitongue:

Woohoo....I like dinosaurs

I'd be more worried about Dec. 21st 2012 when the earhs magnetic poles are going to rotae and all the satalites will either come crashing down or float away. :)

Not to worry, the poles don't hold the satellites in position, that would be gravity. However, your compass will be all messed up.

Dinosaurs? Anyone else thinking about difficulty-5 travelling caches? Ha ha...

The stuff about the GPS satellites is just fear-mongering... But a necessary part of making sure we get the funding we need to keep those babies up there and running!

The folks that hold the money to keep these satellites up and running don't listen as effectively if the program is not "bleeding" or without public outcry. :blink:

Anyway...back to your regularly scheduled program...

Not to worry, the poles don't hold the satellites in position, that would be gravity. However, your compass will be all messed up.

But don't they need a compass to stay on course? If the pols reverse, compasses will no no point north.

If you are referring the satellites, "they" stay in the proper orbits in a number of ways (including controllers who monitor and maintain their performance on the ground - this is called station-keeping) but none of them have to do with the Earth's magnetic poles. For the folks on the ground it is another story, but I know a lot of people that don't use their GPSr compass anyway. For those still using a Map and compass to navigate, we've got a BIG problem if we don't know where the pole is! :)

Now a little science...the Earth's poles flip about every 700,000 years (give or take a few thousand years) and it last happened about that long ago. Nobody knows if the flip occurs instantaneously or over a period of 10s, 100's or even 1000s of years because we've never experienced one before. And the likelihood that we'll experience one in our lifetime is pretty small (but not zero!).

Dave

Plus lava flows would change. Giving us new volcano's all over the world. Not to mention changing tides that'll cause massive flooding.

According to the History Channel, this is when all the dinosaurs became extinct.

When the poles switch again, will they come back? :blink:

Yeah, You can have the First to find Prize for the Raptor's nest.. Thats assuming you don't end up as Raptor Poo before you can Log the find :)

Edited by wvsar

When the poles switch again, will they come back? :blink:

Yeah, You can have the First to find Prize for the Raptor's nest.. Thats assuming you don't end up as Raptor Poo before you can Log the find :)

The Sky is falling, The sky is falling

The stuff about the GPS satellites is just fear-mongering... But a necessary part of making sure we get the funding we need to keep those babies up there and running!

The folks that hold the money to keep these satellites up and running don't listen as effectively if the program is not "bleeding" or without public outcry. :)

At that point Websters can add Take-out for Dinosaurs to the definition of Geocacher.

GC.com will have to add a few new Option to the type of log list..

DNGE = Did Not Get Eatten

AGE = Almost Got Eatten

FLCIPP = Found Last Cacher In Poo Pile

I'd be more worried about Dec. 21st 2012 when the earhs magnetic poles are going to rotae and all the satalites will either come crashing down or float away. :)

The folks that hold the money to keep these satellites up and running don't listen as effectively if the program is not "bleeding" or without public outcry. :blink:

Well said. Budgets are tight and money is scarce. Researchers are constantly ferreting out ways to draw off the biggest share of the public coffers and keep a job. Scary media reports attract the attention of the public who in turn run head-long to their political representatives wanting to know what they are going to do about the approaching calamity. The politicians appease their constituents by making sure the researchers get funded and bills get passed. Is this off topic? Sorry. :lol:

As the GPS satelittes fail the US millitary will locate the working ones where they are needed, perhaps the Gulf states or Washington, maybe china for WW3.

Either this post is a joke, or you have no idea how GPS satellites work. They are not in geostationary orbit, so there is no way to "locate them where they are needed". Equally, it doesn't really matter where they are; as long as you can see four satellites on your side of the horizon, you're fairly likely to get a fix, wherever those four are.

As the GPS satelittes fail the US millitary will locate the working ones where they are needed, perhaps the Gulf states or Washington, maybe china for WW3.

Either this post is a joke, or you have no idea how GPS satellites work. They are not in geostationary orbit, so there is no way to "locate them where they are needed". Equally, it doesn't really matter where they are; as long as you can see four satellites on your side of the horizon, you're fairly likely to get a fix, wherever those four are.

WELL.

Let us suppose in the years to come due to lack of replacements,and a massive solar flare, we are down to 12 satellites, half the now considered min of 24, There would be 3 orbits of 4 equidistantly arranged birds, I expect the orbits would be arranged to favour the requirments of the US military (if they still have enough fuel on board) to give max coverage where required. full global coverage will cease. OK we know that this would not be allowed to happen but it's what films are made of. Yes it was a bit tounge in cheek , But not impossible. :o

Edited by bagwell farmers

The space shuttle and space station are not in geosync orbit but they can be positioned where they are needed. As long as the sats overlap where needed you are good to go. leaves bald spots in other places though.