"U-store-it" storage units as cache containers

I'm sure everybody has considered the giant "U-store-it" rental storage units as potential HUGE cache containers at one time or another. Has this ever been done successfully?

What exactly do you mean?

Or how exactly would this work???

Owner of the cache, goes and rents a storage unit, then opend the door tosses in a bunch of trinkets closes the door and posts the cords???

Then, someone maps to it goes and opens the door take something/leave something then logs it...

Doesn't sound like much of a challenge, but I could be mis-understanding the idea...

I wouldn't attempt such a thing without the property owner being aware. Having lots of different visitors at all times of the day may seem a little suspicious.

then again, would such a "hide" be denied as a commercial cache? After all, technically you do have to enter the business (or, at least, the storage unit) to visit the cache.

then again, would such a "hide" be denied as a commercial cache? After all, technically you do have to enter the business (or, at least, the storage unit) to visit the cache.

I think these are usually dropped off on your property by a truck.

There are two kinds- the rental "closet" unit that is one room in a giant complex of rooms and then there are the "pods" type that are like small shipping containers that are usually delivered to your location.

I was thinking of the first type.

I agree with DavidMac that there could be problems with the "storage closet" type in that you have to enter the business- most times this means punching a pass-code into a gate on the surrounding fence. There is one local to me that doesn't have a fence- but it does have security cameras. I guess this might be up to the local reviewer to make the call.

I also agree that the property owner would have to be fully informed and permission would have to be explicit in this case.

I'm sure everybody has considered the giant "U-store-it" rental storage units as potential HUGE cache containers at one time or another. Has this ever been done successfully?

Yes, it was done in Asheville, N.C.

I heard about it from OzGuff when I was visiting there. It was a really neat story. I believe he said Laineybug did the cache, but I can't find it in her stats. (Maybe she used another account?) She evidently made a maze of empty boxes that you had to move around to find the cache inside the unit. It sounded super cool.

I also agree that the property owner would have to be fully informed and permission would have to be explicit in this case.
Depending on the verbiage in the contract, I doubt the proprty owner would have to be informed of anything.

Explicit permission to place the cache would exist in teh form of the contract signed at the time of rental.

Ah, I was thinking the pod-style units.

Getting permission from the facility might be difficult.

It sounds to me like you might want to rent a pod for your front yard..... :anitongue: If that's the case, I believe you might run up against a written or unritten guideline on cache permanence. :laughing:

If that's the case then might I suggest something MORE creative? :anibad:

Save the money on expensive monthly fees and build a giant ammo can out of plywood. It has been done before in Michigan I believe, (hopefully someone will post a picture or link) but no one has done one that you could literally walk into. :anibad::anibad:B)

Depending on the verbiage in the contract, I doubt the property owner would have to be informed of anything.

Explicit permission to place the cache would exist in the form of the contract signed at the time of rental.

Point taken.

Ah, I was thinking the pod-style units.

Getting permission from the facility might be difficult.

It sounds to me like you might want to rent a pod for your front yard..... :anitongue: If that's the case, I believe you might run up against a written or unritten guideline on cache permanence. :laughing:

If that's the case then might I suggest something MORE creative? :anibad:

Save the money on expensive monthly fees and build a giant ammo can out of plywood. It has been done before in Michigan I believe, (hopefully someone will post a picture or link) but no one has done one that you could literally walk into. :anibad::anibad:B)

Point taken, but I don't think that you can assume that copying a cache that has already been done is more creative than a cache that I haven't placed yet. This hypotetical cache might have had a really cool puzzle on the front end. Maybe. In theory.

Most storage facilities wouldn't allow this. The coming and going of persons whose identity can't be connected to any particular unit would bug them. Thats why they have passcodes for the gates these days.

They will cite a "liability issue" if you ask about it. Probably mention tha their insurance wouldn't allow it, as if they actually know what their insurance would or would not allow.

I would much rather see someone get a shipping container placed out in the forest somewhere and camo it.

Most storage facilities wouldn't allow this. The coming and going of persons whose identity can't be connected to any particular unit would bug them. Thats why they have passcodes for the gates these days.

They will cite a "liability issue" if you ask about it. Probably mention tha their insurance wouldn't allow it, as if they actually know what their insurance would or would not allow.

I would much rather see someone get a shipping container placed out in the forest somewhere and camo it.

Are you speaking about actual storage facility opperators that you have talked to, or is this all based on speculation?

Are you speaking about actual storage facility opperators that you have talked to, or is this all based on speculation?

Both.

We've come across a cache that was in an abandoned shed way deep in the woods. The actual container was a very old ice box inside. It was really cool. Someone had a keyboard travel bug. We didn't take it since it was larger than any ammo box I had ever seen. I wouldn't know where we could drop it off. :anitongue:

Both.

Can you be more specific? Which is just speculation and which parts came from the mouths of property owners?

Both.

Can you be more specific? Which is just speculation and which parts came from the mouths of property owners?

Yes, i could be more specific.

I know, personally, someone who manages (not owns) a U-store-it type place.

He has told me that they don't want passcodes given out to people who aren't connected to the storage place because thieves could gain entry with those passcodes. He's also told me why they require a passcode to leave. They have an internal program that matches incoming and outgoing passcodes to make sure people who enter will leave. They have, in their contract, that the renter is responsible for the passcode and is not to give the passcode to others who are not connected to the renter. They also have a condition in the contract that if they give the passcodes then they are responsible for all activities that take place under that passcode entry.

The speculation is that some operators would cite liability insurance reasons. Assuming there is a contract between the owner of the unit and the renter of the unit, the renter has specified that they are responsible in some way in case of injuries, theft, or vandalism. Speculation only. I am sure there are liability concerns, but as I said, this part is speculation.

Most storage facilities wouldn't allow this. The coming and going of persons whose identity can't be connected to any particular unit would bug them. That's why they have pass-codes for the gates these days.

They will cite a "liability issue" if you ask about it. Probably mention that their insurance wouldn't allow it, as if they actually know what their insurance would or would not allow.

Are you speaking about actual storage facility operators that you have talked to, or is this all based on speculation?

Both.

He has told me that they don't want pass-codes given out to people who aren't connected to the storage place because thieves could gain entry with those pass-codes. He's also told me why they require a pass-code to leave. They have an internal program that matches incoming and outgoing pass-codes to make sure people who enter will leave. They have, in their contract, that the renter is responsible for the pass-code and is not to give the pass-code to others who are not connected to the renter. They also have a condition in the contract that if they give the pass-codes then they are responsible for all activities that take place under that pass-code entry.

The speculation is that some operators would cite liability insurance reasons. Assuming there is a contract between the owner of the unit and the renter of the unit, the renter has specified that they are responsible in some way in case of injuries, theft, or vandalism. Speculation only. I am sure there are liability concerns, but as I said, this part is speculation.

Thanks, that is both interesting and informational.

I heard about it from OzGuff when I was visiting there. It was a really neat story. I believe he said Laineybug did the cache, but I can't find it in her stats. (Maybe she used another account?) She evidently made a maze of empty boxes that you had to move around to find the cache inside the unit. It sounded super cool.

The cache in question was The Whoo Hoo Cache! by Laineybug. Ask anyone who found this cache -- LB is certifiably insane!!! The early stages were cool but likely seen elsewhere. The final was amazing! Based on Internet research you wound up with the password to enter the establishment and the building number and storage container number. Once you opened the storage container -- one of those roll-up doors -- you found a whole bunch of cardboard boxes stacked to the top. You had to move them around to finally find the cache -- a bubble-gum machine where you had to pop in your two quarters to get a fortune cookie-like quote that needed to be included in your online log. The boxes were labeled with the names of local cachers and cachers that had helped Laineybug with various caching issues.

When you saw the final spot you just had to let out a big Whoo Hoo!

Both.

He has told me that they don't want passcodes given out to people who aren't connected to the storage place because thieves could gain entry with those passcodes. He's also told me why they require a passcode to leave. They have an internal program that matches incoming and outgoing passcodes to make sure people who enter will leave. They have, in their contract, that the renter is responsible for the passcode and is not to give the passcode to others who are not connected to the renter. They also have a condition in the contract that if they give the passcodes then they are responsible for all activities that take place under that passcode entry.

This just takes it back to what I posted above. The answer can be found in the contract signed at time of rental. Beyond that, the manager of the storage company has no say in what I place into my storage unit or who I allow to access same.

At the end of the day, this game breaks down into two things. One person leaves something somewhere. Another person goes to that place.

If it is OK for me to leave something somewhere and OK for someone else to go to that place, than no further permission is needed. (Obviously specific locations outlined in the guidelines are possible exceptions.)

The cache in question was The Whoo Hoo Cache! by Laineybug. Ask anyone who found this cache -- LB is certifiably insane!!! The early stages were cool but likely seen elsewhere. The final was amazing! Based on Internet research you wound up with the password to enter the establishment and the building number and storage container number. Once you opened the storage container -- one of those roll-up doors -- you found a whole bunch of cardboard boxes stacked to the top. You had to move them around to finally find the cache -- a bubble-gum machine where you had to pop in your two quarters to get a fortune cookie-like quote that needed to be included in your online log. The boxes were labeled with the names of local cachers and cachers that had helped Laineybug with various caching issues.

When you saw the final spot you just had to let out a big Whoo Hoo!

I wish it had still been active while I was there. :laughing: I agree. LB is one crazy lady! :anitongue: