What handheld works best with Mac

JakAva

I am curious which brand of hand held is most compatible with Mac?

As far as I am concerned ... none of them. 99.9% of my world is in the Mac Platform. However, the P.C. is being kept around for geocaching needs. But then I am an old goat. FWIW I play in the Garmin 60 CSX and Oregon worlds as well as the DeLorme PN40, Cache Register world. Sooooooooooo I still stand by my initial statement ... none of them.

Let the fur fly.

I am curious which brand of hand held is most compatible with Mac?

As far as I am concerned ... none of them. 99.9% of my world is in the Mac Platform. However, the P.C. is being kept around for geocaching needs. But then I am an old goat. FWIW I play in the Garmin 60 CSX and Oregon worlds as well as the DeLorme PN40, Cache Register world. Sooooooooooo I still stand by my initial statement ... none of them.

Let the fur fly.

At least DeLorme is hip deep and trying ... got to love that

By brand, I'd have to say Garmin and Delorme are paying attention, in that order.

Modern Garmins can upgrade firmware, upload maps, and interchange routes, tracks, and waypoints all pretty much with Garmin's software (http://www.garmin.com) I have a fleet of Garmins, a couple of Macs, and can't recall the last time I've had to go to Windows for any of them other than testing GPSBabel. It's very different than it was even a few years ago. http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

Delorme's story isn't as strong - no PPC suport, and no native apps to xfer tracks for example (though GPSBabel will soon take care of that). I had to go to Windows to do a firmware update recently, but perhaps I just didn't try hard enough to do it on Leopard, and map xfer seems to be weaker on OS/X, though it is possible - but they're coming along.

TomTom allegedly has strong Mac support, but I can't vouch for them in this regard and they're weak in the caching world.

Magellan's shown no pulse.

I have a Garmin, my 2 caching buddies have Garmins and we all use Macs. There hasn't been an issue with using Macs at all. Garmin has plenty of software available for Macs.

Which garmin do you use? Do you cache with out paper? I am not computer savvy that is why I use a mac I can't screw it up and it doesn't get viruses. I want to go w/o paper.

I have a Garmin, my 2 caching buddies have Garmins and we all use Macs. There hasn't been an issue with using Macs at all. Garmin has plenty of software available for Macs.

Which garmin do you use? Do you cache with out paper? I am not computer savvy that is why I use a mac I can't screw it up and it doesn't get viruses. I want to go w/o paper.

I run an Oregon 400T. Just plop the PQs right into the GPSr. Paperless no problem and uploading the field notes not a problem either.

Thank you for those that responded. I am considering the Oregon but it is so darn expensive. However I want it to be easy or I won't used it. Anyone know if the Dakota will be similar? I am concerned about the screen issues I have read about.

Humboldt_flier-- did you really write both posts #2 and #3?

That's how it looks in the message headers but the latter post doesn't make sense. Plus, style-wise it seems like someone else wrote it.

Yes indeed I wrote them both. Might have been taken over by one of the personalities vying for dominance. Aaaaaaaannnny waaaaaay, I appreciate their ( DeLorme's ) efforts on behalf of the Mac Heads. I am also pleased to state that their customer service is supercalifragalisticexpealidocious. Do not work for them, just like their stuff and the way they treat we Tupperware seekers. Edited by humboldt flier
...Delorme's story isn't as strong ... no native apps to xfer tracks ... GPSBabel will soon take care of that...
Please hurry up with this :anitongue:

Once GPSBabel supports it, will I be able to pull PN-40 data directly in to Google Earth? Or do the folks in Googleville control the actions of your embedded parts?

Edited by lee_rimar
...Delorme's story isn't as strong ... no native apps to xfer tracks ... GPSBabel will soon take care of that...
Please hurry up with this :anitongue:

Once GPSBabel supports it, will I be able to pull PN-40 data directly in to Google Earth? Or do the folks in Googleville control the actions of your embedded parts?

Hmmmmmmmmm, lets see eight straight 12 hour shifts from 1800 to 0630 ... who knows what bangs off the walls of the old cranium.

I have garmin nuvi 205w and vista hcx and they work great with mac. I did all the map transfers, hardware updates etc from mac. The only thing that I have not seen supported is nuvi paperless caching.

Good Luck.

By the by Garmin is putting a large effort into supporting mac but so far it appears is must be a Intel chipset mac.