First look at Garmin's Oregon 550

Looks good :( I really like that the camera takes a decent photo, and while some might think having a camera in a GPSr is gimmicky I think it's a great idea :(

..the outdoor screen visibility issue however, appears to have only received a minimal improvement :blink: I wonder how much of a challenge it is to frame a photo taken outdoors with the thing..

400 compared to 550

backlight.jpg

A first look at the brand new Oregon 550 (camera, geotagging, and 3-axis compass) with screen images is available here: http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/oregonca...egoncamera.html

Good Review, well written/user friendly; thanks.

Is the backlight on in those photos? I find that in sunlight, the screen is many times easier to read with the backlight completely off. Plus, adding a background that is solid white rather than those silly wallpapers garmin includes helps a lot too.

A first look at the brand new Oregon 550 (camera, geotagging, and 3-axis compass) with screen images is available here: http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/oregonca...egoncamera.html

Good Review, well written/user friendly; thanks.

Is the backlight on in those photos? I find that in sunlight, the screen is many times easier to read with the backlight completely off. Plus, adding a background that is solid white rather than those silly wallpapers garmin includes helps a lot too.

That's one of the best things I did. All my outdoor profiles use a very light gray background and that makes any screen where the background is under the display items much more visible and usable.

Yes... Nice review.

I do wish he had stated the amount of pre-installed factory memory the unit has.

With it being a camera too, I would think the pictures would take up a fair amount of room.

And... as we now know... the 400t has more factory installed memory than the 400i or 400c.

I would assume it's the same story for the 5xx units too, but I wonder if the amount of memory has been increased due to the camera.

The Oregon 550t is using the ST Cartesio chipset -- same exact part number as the Oregon 400t. I opened mine up today.

Preinstalled memory is 4GB just like the 400t. Pictures can be saved to SD card however.

Screen resolution is exactly the same as the 400t.

My post with initial impressions is here:

http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-oregon-550t-first-impression/

g-o-cashers.....

THANKS ! You are always right on top of things.

It sounds like the 550t is EXACTLY the same as the 400t except for the camera.

Not enough to make me salivate for an upgrade.

But it is a nice option to be able to take a photo on the spot of a cache or POI/Waypoint with a "all-in-one" unit.

The hardware differences (that I'm aware of) between the x00 and x50 are:

- 3.2MP Camera

- Accelerometer (used for rotating camera, photo viewer and supporting 3-axis compass)

- 3-axis Magnetometer (compass)

- USB 2.0 interface

- Different touchscreen cover

@Tequila

From what I understand 3-axis compasses are even more sensitive than 2-axis compasses. I haven't played with this one long enough, but the owners manual has the same instructions as the 400, recalibrate:

- after battery changes

- changes in distance

- changes in temperature