Has anyone ever hid a cache in water?

I have one underwater off the side of a dock, a 1L Nalgene bottle connected with cables and a weight. Just for the record, it takes about 8 pounds of weight to hold a 1L bottle underwater.

I've heard about your cache! We haven't found it yet, but people have said that they enjoyed it...

-Rozie

For reals? That's awesome to hear! Here's the listing for it so you can send it to your GPSr :anicute:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...52-8e7486daeb80

I should make a run out there and check it for moisture, but I know from last year, it was bone dry inside after 3 months in about 8-10 feet of water.I think part of the reason it stays dry is the way I have it all connected, it's floating in the water upside down about 2 feet above the bottom, so having the lid on the bottom helps the air inside keep the water out. But I do have everything in Ziploc bags and a waterproof log, so it's ready for problems.

I sunk an ammo can about a month ago, and as I recall it took 6Lbs of cement to make it sink.

I put the swag in a Nagoline (?) bottle in the can. Perfect fit.

The can is still dry inside, I pulled it yesterday to add some cammo.

I will probably put it back tommorrow and publish it.

PP4x4

I sunk an ammo can about a month ago, and as I recall it took 6Lbs of cement to make it sink.

I put the swag in a Nagoline (?) bottle in the can. Perfect fit.

The can is still dry inside, I pulled it yesterday to add some cammo.

I will probably put it back tommorrow and publish it.

PP4x4

Cool. So I shouldn't have to worry about the ammo can I just put 80lbs of concrete into floating away since it's going to be on a flood plain?

How much water, moving how quickly?

There are some kayak caches near here that are exposed to the tides, and that seem to hold up pretty well. The outer container is a section of PVC sewer pipe with plugs at both ends. One of the plugs has an eye-bolt, and the eye-bolt was used to chain the outer container to a stationary object (e.g., a dock). The outer container doesn't need to be waterproof; it just needs to be durable, to stay in place, and to remain high enough that it isn't submerged during high tide.

The inner container is waterproof, and fits inside the outer container. IIRC, most of them were wide-mouth Nalgene HDPE water bottles.

Of course, even if the inner container is waterproof, if finders open it with wet hands, then moisture is going to get into the container.

Just for the record, it takes about 8 pounds of weight to hold a 1L bottle underwater.
On a similar note, you have to fill an ammo can about half full of concrete to hold it underwater.

Will it actually stay 100% dry if you do? I ask because I have a HUGE ammo can I want to hide and half full of concrete would help take up a lot of the interior space.

My other idea was to fill it with spray foam and embed a film canister inside so it's the biggest micro EVER!

I was going to do the same thing but actually put a nano in a 55 foot shipping container and bury it but I was informed that burying is wrong (rightfully so) so I nixed the idea.

How much water, moving how quickly?

There are some kayak caches near here that are exposed to the tides, and that seem to hold up pretty well. The outer container is a section of PVC sewer pipe with plugs at both ends. One of the plugs has an eye-bolt, and the eye-bolt was used to chain the outer container to a stationary object (e.g., a dock). The outer container doesn't need to be waterproof; it just needs to be durable, to stay in place, and to remain high enough that it isn't submerged during high tide.

The inner container is waterproof, and fits inside the outer container. IIRC, most of them were wide-mouth Nalgene HDPE water bottles.

Of course, even if the inner container is waterproof, if finders open it with wet hands, then moisture is going to get into the container.

Tanx for your help, I am planning a cache in a stream in the Wicklow Mountains. The Water level is fairly constant as its a pool before a small waterfall. The problems are , How do i get cachers to put the cache back in the exact location? , do i weigh it dowm or have it tied to an anchor on the bottom?.

I will keep you posted on how I get on.

Regards, Jedheads.

I know I can screw in an auger and chain with a bouy on it for hooking a boat to when it is anchored off shore, maybe attach a container to it? I'll check... nope, it states, at least in Michigan, you can not place one underwater. Oh fudge!

Edited by A & J Tooling

Excuse my ignorance but what are PET PREFORMS

Regards and Tanx.

Jedheads.

They're the early stages of PET soda/water bottles and kinda look like lab tubes. They come in various sizes and all have the usual soda bottle twist cap, which is 100% waterproof and durable. Might be hard to find them though.

PreformGroup.jpg

I haven't had a chance to field-test them under water yet though.

Edited by dfx
They're the early stages of PET soda/water bottles and kinda look like lab tubes. They come in various sizes and all have the usual soda bottle twist cap, which is 100% waterproof and durable. Might be hard to find them though.
Note that some of the preforms sold to the public have inferior caps that lack the soft gasket that makes real soda bottles watertight.