Has anyone ever hid a cache in water?

Would anchoring a cache & marking it with a buoy be a gross violation of some rule or another? I am working with an adventure challenge, team building consultant to design a program that will be done using a boat, in the Chesapeake Bay. Geocaching is one idea that came up. Other than it being mistaken for a crab pot and pulled by a waterman, what issues might come up?

Would anchoring a cache & marking it with a buoy be a gross violation of some rule or another? I am working with an adventure challenge, team building consultant to design a program that will be done using a boat, in the Chesapeake Bay. Geocaching is one idea that came up. Other than it being mistaken for a crab pot and pulled by a waterman, what issues might come up?

There have been lots of underwater caches placed, including this one. That caches isn't just in the water. It's 2300 meters (about 7545 feet) below the water surface it's also 2-3 hundred miles from land.

There have been lots of underwater caches placed, including this one. That caches isn't just in the water. It's 2300 meters (about 7545 feet) below the water surface it's also 2-3 hundred miles from land.

OK, now thats just stupid!

JMO

Did you notice who the cache owner is?

No. I already explained to you that I don't go check a persons profile every time I see someone post.

I only saw his name was NYPaddleCacher.

Still think it's stupid

JMO

I have one underwater off the side of a dock, a 1L Nalgene bottle connected with cables and a weight. Just for the record, it takes about 8 pounds of weight to hold a 1L bottle underwater.

That is actually good information to have.

I have an idea for an underwater cache. Need the right container though since I want it to be a regular sized cache.

No. I already explained to you that I don't go check a persons profile every time I see someone post.

Still think it's stupid

JMO

Look again, and do some research.

Sorry, I don't stalk members. I don't care who placed it, I think it's a stupid idea to place a cache that deep in water.

It's just my opinion. I'm entitled to the opinion, aren't I?

JMO

Still think it's stupid

JMO

I believe Knowschad was referring to the owner of the cache you claimed was stupid, not the owner of the post :blink: .

I didn't say the cache owner was stupid. I said the idea was a stupid one in my opinion.

Still think it's stupid

JMO

Look again, and do some research.

Sorry, I don't stalk members. I don't care who placed it, I think it's a stupid idea to place a cache that deep in water.

Why is it stupid? You could travel there if you choose. Anyone can.

Oh, and looking at someones profile isn't stalking them. It is, after all, their public profile. Now, if you are parking in front of their house and going through their trash that is different.

Why is it stupid? You could travel there if you choose. Anyone can.

Oh, and looking at someones profile isn't stalking them. It is, after all, their public profile. Now, if you are parking in front of their house and going through their trash that is different.

I would continue this discussion but, well, it's pointless. The participants know what I am talking about.

If my opinion of this cache isn't the same as yours then it's all good. I just think its stupid to have a cache where the log can't be removed and signed without a 3 mile (rt) vertical journey.

Perhaps the word "silly" will suit you better.

Edited by bittsen

wow! The 1st 5/5 I heard of. And 1st time I see so much 'watchers' on a cache! Now 233 since I added it!
I didn't say the cache owner was stupid. I said the idea was a stupid one in my opinion.

Well, first let me say I'm not a fan of that hide too. He has every right to hide it, of course. But that hide is, to me, more of a vanity hide. Like saying "hey, look, I'm so rich, I can do this."

He placed a TB on the ISS as well, IIRC.

That guy, by the way, is (or at least claims to be) Richard Garriott, better known as Lord British, of the computer game Ultima fame. Of course, with one hide and two TBs, none of which anybody found / moved, who knows if he's the real deal. I mean, I can claim to be Abraham Lincoln. Or the Loch Ness Monster. There's an idea. I'll claim to be Nessie and hide a cache in the deepest part of Loch Ness.

Well, first let me say I'm not a fan of that hide too. He has every right to hide it, of course. But that hide is, to me, more of a vanity hide. Like saying "hey, look, I'm so rich, I can do this."

That guy, by the way, is (or at least claims to be) Richard Garriott, better known as Lord British, of the computer game Ultima fame. Of course, with one hide and two TBs, none of which anybody found / moved, who knows if he's the real deal. I mean, I can claim to be Abraham Lincoln. Or the Loch Ness Monster. There's an idea. I'll claim to be Nessie and hide a cache in the deepest part of Loch Ness.

Someone should post a "needs maintenance" log on it.

I told my son about it and he said it was ridiculous also but added if he ever won the lotto, he would go after it.

No physical container + no logbook to sign = not a real cache. Technically, that should be a Virtual cache, shouldn't it?

And which reviewer has that territory as his responsibility. And, is monthly maintenance performed?

Maybe it's been muggled. I think the CO should check.

Seriously, can you imagine the expense involved to look for it just to find out it's gone, possibly buried beneath millions of pounds of geologic debris?

I think after 5 years, the CO should check to make sure its still there.

:blink:

Just for the record, it takes about 8 pounds of weight to hold a 1L bottle underwater.
On a similar note, you have to fill an ammo can about half full of concrete to hold it underwater.

Will it actually stay 100% dry if you do? I ask because I have a HUGE ammo can I want to hide and half full of concrete would help take up a lot of the interior space.

My other idea was to fill it with spray foam and embed a film canister inside so it's the biggest micro EVER!

I told my son about it and he said it was ridiculous also but added if he ever won the lotto, he would go after it.

I don't see how anyone could have any basis for posting a needs maintenance log for that cache since it really doesn't appear that anyone has ever searched for it. I don't see why there is any concern about this cache. It doesn't seem to me that it is any different from one on top of a mountain or in Antarctica. I personally hope it is indedd real and that someone finds it some day.

I don't see how anyone could have any basis for posting a needs maintenance log for that cache since it really doesn't appear that anyone has ever searched for it. I don't see why there is any concern about this cache. It doesn't seem to me that it is any different from one on top of a mountain or in Antarctica. I personally hope it is indedd real and that someone finds it some day.

My reply was, of course, in jest. It does raise the point though that when placing a cache, the owner is supposed to be able to check on it. Of course the cache in question is likely grandfathered since it's 5 years old.

JMO

Still think it's stupid

JMO

I just reported an example of an underwater cache. I'm not the CO (wish I was though). I had seen that cache listing before (it's been mentioned other times here) but never looked at the CO either. Thanks to KnowsChad for pointing that out as it provides some background on how someone could manage to place a cache there.

There are quite a few caches in places that 99% of all geocachers would never have the chance to visit. Not too many people get to Antarctica yet there are 32 caches placed there.

JMO

Still think it's stupid

JMO

I believe Knowschad was referring to the owner of the cache you claimed was stupid, not the owner of the post :blink: .

You probably will think his second cache placement is stupid too. It is on the ISS, listed on another site as it is a moving cache.

Just for the record, it takes about 8 pounds of weight to hold a 1L bottle underwater.
On a similar note, you have to fill an ammo can about half full of concrete to hold it underwater.

Will it actually stay 100% dry if you do? I ask because I have a HUGE ammo can I want to hide and half full of concrete would help take up a lot of the interior space.

Will it stay dry after you submerge it underwater? Maybe. Some have. Will it continue to stay dry after the first finder opens it and puts it back under water? Perhaps. You're chances for an error resulting in insufficient seal of the gasket increase with every find.

The most successful of these that I've read about had multiple layers of protection for the log book.

My other idea was to fill it with spray foam and embed a film canister inside so it's the biggest micro EVER!

That's just stupid.

The one I found was dry inside, but the owner also included a note on the cache page warning finders to make sure they didn't trap anything (e.g., plastic bags) in the seal when they closed it. It was a puzzle/mystery cache, so everyone should have read the cache page.

Will it stay dry after you submerge it underwater? Maybe. Some have. Will it continue to stay dry after the first finder opens it and puts it back under water? Perhaps. You're chances for an error resulting in insufficient seal of the gasket increase with every find.

The most successful of these that I've read about had multiple layers of protection for the log book.

That's just stupid.

Ignoring the fact that you are singling me out today....

yes, the idea is silly, perhaps warped. I'm just a silly warped kind of person.

That's just stupid.

Funny how sometimes there's a thin line between abrasive and flippant...

Funny how sometimes there's a thin line between abrasive and flippant...

So true but my comment wasn't based on one post.

I'm still a silly warped kind of person.

Back on topic. I wonder how much weight it would take to sink my giant micro under water. That would be classic!!

I have one underwater off the side of a dock, a 1L Nalgene bottle connected with cables and a weight. Just for the record, it takes about 8 pounds of weight to hold a 1L bottle underwater.

That is actually good information to have.

I have an idea for an underwater cache. Need the right container though since I want it to be a regular sized cache.

You can't just change directions like that without apologizing.. jeepers. :anitongue:

My reply was, of course, in jest. It does raise the point though that when placing a cache, the owner is supposed to be able to check on it. Of course the cache in question is likely grandfathered since it's 5 years old.

I fail to understand why you care? Must be something else at work here. I think it'd be cool to have such a cache available to me if I had the means.

I fail to understand why you care? Must be something else at work here. I think it'd be cool to have such a cache available to me if I had the means.

I just read what I wrote and it doesn't indicate to me that I care about it. I thought this was discussion.

I just offered my opinion that I thought it was stupid, and then added "silly" as an alternative to stupid.

Really, we could all just go out in the middle of the ocean and drop travel bugs and call them caches, couldn't we?

where is the tongue in cheek emoticon?

As far as "Lord British"'s hide goes of the seahorse in 7000+ feet of water I say COOL! At least someone was willing to do something cool and interesting!

I hope if he makes it back up into space he can leave a Travelbug there too! :anitongue:

Now as far as cost goes. I looked into the trip he was talking about it. It isn't that expensive considering comparing it to other similar trips. The cost about $9500 per person. That isn't expensive when you go and compare that to say a 2 week crusie of the Panama canal in a room with a balcony on Princess or Holland America cruise lines.

Take a look at some of the vacations offered by the Smithsonian &/or National Geographic. Alot of those are also around $9500 a person as well.

Now I do agree... a trip into space is a little to expensive for 99% of the people in the world. As that trip currently costs about 20 million bucks. 2.5 million once Virgin Atlantic starts operating its commercial space flights.

Now on to a more serious note...

For those of you who have used a nalgene bottle to submerse underwater. How was the seal of the lid? Did it leak? How far did you submerse it?

I only ask the previous question based on IP standards. My GPS unit is IP7 rated for it's waterproof capability. IP7 means it can be submersed in up to 30 feet of water for 30 minutes without any leakage. Although honestly I wouldn't try that on my Garmin. I HAVE dropped my Garmin GPS into 3 or 4 feet of water & taken about 5 to 10 min to get it out again. It survived with NO damage & it was even on! I could see the glow of the lcd display under the water. :laughing:

I go scuba diving at lake travis near austin texas. I was thinking of placing a cache there for other scuba divers. Using a underwater pen & other water proof/underwater items.

TGC

We've found a good "under water" cache. Its a water bottle, weighted down in an old swimming hole not used in decades in a local state park.

SPOILER ALERT, please avert your eyes if you plan on visiting Standing Stone State Park in Tennessee:

Its tied to the end of an old steel cable.

Here's the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8c-66d438bb9a4f

Hey...2 friends and I hid that cache under a team account. Thanks for calling it good.

As far as "Lord British"'s hide goes of the seahorse in 7000+ feet of water I say COOL! At least someone was willing to do something cool and interesting!

I hope if he makes it back up into space he can leave a Travelbug there too! :anitongue:

Now as far as cost goes. I looked into the trip he was talking about it. It isn't that expensive considering comparing it to other similar trips. The cost about $9500 per person. That isn't expensive when you go and compare that to say a 2 week crusie of the Panama canal in a room with a balcony on Princess or Holland America cruise lines.

Take a look at some of the vacations offered by the Smithsonian &/or National Geographic. Alot of those are also around $9500 a person as well.

Now I do agree... a trip into space is a little to expensive for 99% of the people in the world. As that trip currently costs about 20 million bucks. 2.5 million once Virgin Atlantic starts operating its commercial space flights.

For those of you who have used a nalgene bottle to submerse underwater. How was the seal of the lid? Did it leak? How far did you submerse it?

I only ask the previous question based on IP standards. My GPS unit is IP7 rated for it's waterproof capability. IP7 means it can be submersed in up to 30 feet of water for 30 minutes without any leakage. Although honestly I wouldn't try that on my Garmin. I HAVE dropped my Garmin GPS into 3 or 4 feet of water & taken about 5 to 10 min to get it out again. It survived with NO damage & it was even on! I could see the glow of the lcd display under the water. :laughing:

I go scuba diving at lake travis near austin texas. I was thinking of placing a cache there for other scuba divers. Using a underwater pen & other water proof/underwater items.

TGC

I think a scuba cache is an awesome idea. You would only have to find a way to anchor it permanantly so the choords don't change.

Great idea.

I/we used a nalgene bottle on our underwater hide (2-3 feet of water). At first we just used lots of rocks to weight it down and when we checked on it there was moisture inside but not a lot of water...could have come from the rocks. Fixed it with concrete and put log in a match holder inside nalgene bottle. Log is good and dry now. Some moisture still in nalgene bottle though.

I think a scuba cache is an awesome idea. You would only have to find a way to anchor it permanantly so the choords don't change.

Great idea.

Not that hard to do. Depending on where your diving at. In Lake Travis a good nylon rope and any one of the rocks laying on the bottom will suffice. :anitongue: Sometimes we have found boat anchors laying on the bottom too. (From boats who have lost their anchors) so that will work as well.

TGC

I/we used a nalgene bottle on our underwater hide (2-3 feet of water). At first we just used lots of rocks to weight it down and when we checked on it there was moisture inside but not a lot of water...could have come from the rocks. Fixed it with concrete and put log in a match holder inside nalgene bottle. Log is good and dry now. Some moisture still in nalgene bottle though.

The Moisture problem can come from CONDENSATION. People seem to forget that no air is 100% dry. Not unless it is "processed" air. Thus alot of times the moisture cachers find in GC's isn't because the cache container leaked, but because of condensation inside the container.

You can control "CONDENSATION" in smaller containers with dry packets. They are very inexpensive and easy to get. Check out Uline.com. I have a ton of them that come with all my perscription drugs. I have placed one in each of my "MICRO" caches. (That have yet to be published).

TGC

I've heard about your cache! We haven't found it yet, but people have said that they enjoyed it...

-Rozie