Etrex Legend C vs. Colorado and Oregon

exprezchef

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend C that I have been using for the past few years for the occasional Geocache hunt and was thinking of replacing it with either the Colorado 300 or Oregon 300. I know that the Etrex is a great little handheld and want feedback from those who have upgraded to the Oregon or Colorado. I like the paperless Geocaching ability of the newer models. Anybody out there that has upgraded please provide feedback. Thanks

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend C that I have been using for the past few years for the occasional Geocache hunt and was thinking of replacing it with either the Colorado 300 or Oregon 300. I know that the Etrex is a great little handheld and want feedback from those who have upgraded to the Oregon or Colorado. I like the paperless Geocaching ability of the newer models. Anybody out there that has upgraded please provide feedback. Thanks

There really is no comparison between these units. Both the Colorado and Oregon have a high sensitivity receiver (its rumored the Colorado has slightly better accuracy and reception over the Oregon). Your unit has a standard chip much like my old eTrex Legend.

The reception and ability to maintain a lock under tree cover and other difficult conditions is a night and day difference.

That said - the paperless features of the Colorado and Oregon are great. Mostly they have the same features overall with different input methods. The Colorado of course uses the roller wheel when the Oregon has the touchscreen.

Many will say bad things about the Oregon's screen brightness, but I've had mine for a fwe months now and I love it. It's not as bright as some screens, and of course I wouldn't mind if it were brighter but used the same amount or less battery but it performs just fine. I've yet to encounter a condition where the screen is unreadable.

Again - I upgraded from an eTrex Legend and spent about $400 for the Oregon 400t and I've never looked back. I still carry my Legend with me as a backup and the wife tries to use it but so often she's lost the satellite lock while I'm just happily navigating my way to the cache.

I have both a Colorado 300 and an Oregon 200 as well as an older eTrex.

Colorado 300

I like this unit - a lot. Early on there were a number of severe problems with accuracy and geocache functions but the latest stable firmware iron all of that out very nicely. The quad helix anntena grabs and holds a signal very well in most any condition. The RnR wheel takes a little patience to get used to but is a decent interface once you learn to use it. The unit is very rugged and the geocaching features are easy to learn. I find the main Geocaching navigation screen to be a great feature. Some users continue to complain about waterproofness issues but most Colorado users have had no issues at all with water.

Oregon 200

The touchscreen interface of this unit is killer. The absolute best feature. It works in rain, snow, hot and cold. With and without gloves. Some recent firmware have introduced some slightly shaky accuracy issues but seem solved now for the most part. Geocaching features are similar to the Colorado. The Oregon adds a few features missing on the Colorado but nothing earth shattering. Used side by side the Colorado is the clear winner in reception. The internal ceramic anntena just isn't as good as the Colorado's. Screen is a bit dim so you will use more backlight than the eTrex. Also battery life hovers around the 9 - 11 hour range - far shorter than the etrex.