help with etrex vista

Hey there, new to the forum.

I started caching a few months ago using my vehicle nuvi. seemed to be pretty accurate but i wanted to get a handheld. I got a used etrex vista but found out that when using both gps's the nuvi is waaaay more accurate. i can get within 15 feet or so with nuvi and more like 80 feet with the vista. i know its a fairly old model but i assumed it would be right on for geocaching. Ive read the manual but it just seems like something is not right. also when i get into even a few trees it loses signal completley where the nuvi doesnt. do i need a new one or what? please help...

I used to have a Vista, so forgive me for some fuzzy memory, but I did find all of my first summer's worth of caches with it so they do work. First, yes the Vista will loose signal in heavy cover as it doesn't have the high sensitivity chip. Nature of the beast. Second, check that you have the Vista set to the WGS84 Datum, and that you have the latest firmware/software updates. Hope this helps, and cache on!

I used to have a Vista, so forgive me for some fuzzy memory, but I did find all of my first summer's worth of caches with it so they do work. First, yes the Vista will loose signal in heavy cover as it doesn't have the high sensitivity chip. Nature of the beast. Second, check that you have the Vista set to the WGS84 Datum, and that you have the latest firmware/software updates. Hope this helps, and cache on!

How do i check for the lastest updates? Garmins website or is there other places to do it?

You'll need the data cable for your unit - then just go to Garmins site and find the Webupdate page: http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

The WGS84 Dataum is the most important part - that can cause your coords to be quite a bit off.

I have a eTrex Legend as a backup unit and it's not great in heavy tree cover but my first 50 finds or so plus some that weren't logged a few years ago were all with my eTrex Legend so you'll be fine with it once you update.

Be sure to give your unit about 20 minutes with a clear view of the sky before starting out on the trail - this can be done in the dashboard of your car as you drive to your cache area - that will help to update the almanac data improving lock and accuracy.

Hold your Vista out in front of your a little (away from your body) once you start to get close the the cache (I'd say about the last .1 miles) to also help with signal quality under tree cover.