magellan explorist 500 le

goosefraba1

i was wondering what would be the quickest way to load coordinates and descriptions from geocaching.com to my new magellan 500 le. Has anybody tried this? I have the usb data cord. I just don't know what program to use to download the data from the website without having to hand enter data. Thanks... Goose.

i was wondering what would be the quickest way to load coordinates and descriptions from geocaching.com to my new magellan 500 le. Has anybody tried this? I have the usb data cord. I just don't know what program to use to download the data from the website without having to hand enter data. Thanks... Goose.

Did you get any CD-ROM's with the GPS? You need the Installation wizard Disk which then you can install Magellan Geocache Manager.

I don't know about the LE but my Explorist 500 didn't have the descriptions as an option.

Remember that the cord must run directly down the center of the back of the unit. Idiosyncratic in the extreme. Have the Magellan Geocache Manager program installed on your computer. Run PQs to your desktop and open with GSAK then export back to desktop as a GPX/LOC, then right click and open with Geocache manager and send to Unit. More often than not the send to unit is unsucessful and then I pull the memory card, put it in a card reader and send it as a file to the card. I am sorry, but the unit worked well , but this entire gyration soured me on their products altogether.

I don't understand the above response at all, but I'm guessing it didn't really help you much. :anitongue:

I've been using a 500 as my main gps for several years now and it works great with either geocache manager or VantagePoint.

From the GPX file you get the following info on your handheld:

Cache name

Cache ID

Owner

Type

date placed

date last found

difficulty/terrain

and somewhere around the first 25 characters of the hint.

If you want cache page info, you need a pda or something like a Garmin Nuvi car gps with a special program from GSAK.

Since my newest laptop has a built in card reader, I don't ever use the cord anymore.

If you have the disk with geocache manager and are still having trouble, let me know and I'll post a step-by-step. (A lot of people say they hate geocache manager and do something else, but I never understood why. It works just fine.)