Oregon 200 - Map Help!

Hi everyone! We are very new to this. Haven't even found our first cache yet. We have an Oregon 200 and the maps seem to be horrible!!! I've done some searching on the web, but haven't figured out how to update the maps yet. Can someone help me with this??? It would be great if it was cheap to do too! lol

Thanks!

April

TeamDavisPerson

Hi everyone! We are very new to this. Haven't even found our first cache yet. We have an Oregon 200 and the maps seem to be horrible!!! I've done some searching on the web, but haven't figured out how to update the maps yet. Can someone help me with this??? It would be great if it was cheap to do too! lol

Thanks!

April

TeamDavisPerson

www.gpsfiledepot.com has lots of free maps. There are even some routable garmin street maps as part of the OSM project - but they aren't nearly as refined as you would get with a retail product and don't have POIs.

The topos are good however and there are others.

If you want street maping the CityNav product from Garmin is great, and you could also get an older product like a used copy of Metroguide North America (last version was 6). The Metroguide maps can be made routable by using Metrowizzz to convert them. The retail route isn't the cheapest but the Garmin maps do a much better job of routing and give you thousands and thousands of POIs (restaurants, shopping, etc)

The base map included in many products is really very basic and usually includes just major roads.

Garmin's City Nav program is the best if you want autorouting in the unit (door to door directions) - but the free maps mentioned above are great if you don't care about autorouting.

My advice: find a few caches before you drop $$$ or time on maps. The pointer will point to the cache regardless of the mapset.

Part of the fun can be figuring how out to get to the cache area when you only have a cardinal direction. Your mileage may vary, of course.