Garmin Foretrex broken?

Hi there. My trusty Garmin Fortrex 201 has got a problem since yesterday evening.

While I was looking for a cache, the four first buttons of my device stopped responding:

on/off, goto, page and enter. The up and down arrow still worked (they were beeping when being pressed).

The device could not be turned off so I waited util my batteries were empty hoping it would act as a reset, but even after a recharge of the battery I am not able to turn the device on.

Has anyone experienced similar problems with a foretrex or a forerunner from Garmin?

Garmin Belgium told me to bring it back to the shop where I bought it...unfortunately the shop has closed in the meantime.

should I try open the foretrex?

thanks in advance...

Interesting. Sounds like a connector that controls those buttons or a piece of hardware that holds them in place from the back has failed.

I don't think I would open it, as there is no obvious way to get into a Foretrex that I remember. Is it still under warranty? If not, it might be cheaper to get a used replacement off eBay than to pay the $80 out of warranty fee or whatever.

PS. I love my 201. I use it almost everyday on my bicycle.

Yep Fratermus I guess you spotted it right ...and opening the device seems quite difficult and irreversible...If anyone has ever done such an action it would thus interest me...

No warranty on the device...I will call the helpdesk in France and see how much it could cost to let it fet fixed...

And exactly like you, my foretrex is my favourite bicycle tool :blink: