Topo Canada V4

I just got the new Topo Canada V4 map.

When loaded into MapSource it is far better looking then Topo Canada V2. The shading makes topo heights far easier to determine, eg if your looking at a row of topo lines it is readily apparent as to if they are going up or down without looking at the elevation numbers. Bush roads are easier to see also. Unfortunately the shading doesn't transfer over to my 76csx, it looks the same as V2 on the GPS. There are some new roads as compared to V2, but some of roads that are shown no longer exist, just as in V2. These roads are so old that they have completely overgrown and are no longer passable. This is very annoying because I plot tracks at home and then when you go to ride them you find there is no more road.

V4 comes with a separate program called BaseCamp. BaseCamp would be nice but it is so slow whenever you do ANYTHING on it. It is so slow that it is pretty well useless to me. Thats too bad because it looks like it could be quite useful. It probably works far better on a newer, faster computer. Is anyone else experiencing an extremely slow BaseCamp?

i haven't loaded BASECAMP yes, i'm still using mapsource, even for Topo Canada V4 because i also use IBYCUS and don't want to have to use 2 separate programs to load maps etc.

does anyone know if other maps will even LOAD in BASECAMP? the garmin sites says:

"BaseCamp will only recognize MapSource products that contain digital elevation model (DEM) data"

this leads me to believe, it will ONLY load DEM maps.

can someone confirm.

thanks

When the installation of Garmin Topo Canada v4 on my PC was complete, I was asked if I wanted to Launch BaseCamp!? however, after starting and exiting BaseCamo, Topo Canada v4 runs in MapSource as it should, so much so that I uninstalled v2.

...BUT...

when I went to load some maps to my unit along with some local, GIS shapefile derived .img files, I couldn't find where the Topo Canada v4 map files (.img) are. There is nothing in my C:\Garmin dirctory (where the rest of the MapSource data gets installed to) and nothing jumping out at me in the registry (regedit).

Can anyone tell me where the IMG map files are located?

Read my review. The roads are the same as Metroguide Canada 5. Road are fairly up to date. Back roads are as per the government database. Most real back road areas use road data from the printed federal topo maps.

The maps are in the new format. Hidden in the documents and settings area. A real PITA.

Everyone may already know this but I didn't.

I installed Topo Canada and in one of my profiles I had Topo Canada and TRAK Ontario (hi res 3rd party) enabled.

When I looked on the map for an area in Quebec, the contour lines were not visible and the map was pretty much useless. Even thought TRAK Ontario had no maps in PQ.

I discovered that I needed to disable the TRAK Ontario in that profile in order for Topo Canada to work properly. Not sure if that means Topo Canada should be the only map enabled in all cases.

Perhaps Red90 or another experienced Topo Canada user can elaborate. Thx.

p.s. I find BaseCamp pretty cool Especially for out west in the Rockies. Not so much for a municipal park in Toronto.

Edited by Tequila

I've not seen any problems, but, of course, I don't have those maps. It works with all of the maps I have. I would guess there is something wrong with how the TRAK maps are made

Just checked and the TRAK map for the Ottawa area is a rectangle that spills over into the area of Quebec that I was in. The TRAK map has nothing but brown for the Quebec portion of the rectangle. That probably explains why it was obscuring the Topo Canada.

Thx.

Edited by Tequila

Hello I was wondering if you could help me. I use IMG2GPS to load multiple map types onto my 60CSx. I use garmin maps and custom as well. I wanted to use the new Topo canada v4 but I need the tiles in img format, any sugestions?

Thank you

The new maps are at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GARMIN\Maps\TOPO Canada v4.gmap

You get no choice in where they are located. The map tiles are not in IMG format either....