Is elevation necessary?

All,

I'm new to Geocaching and just got my own entry-level GPS (a Garmin eTrex H). I'm getting pretty good at downloading waypoints from this website (I also ordered the USB cable), but I'm wondering if the elevation is necessary to maximize the accuracy of the GOTO feature. I have to manually enter an estimate of the elevation (from a map) for each waypoint. This is very time consuming.

Does the elevation really matter when finding geocaches?

Thanks in advance for your help!

All,

I'm new to Geocaching and just got my own entry-level GPS (a Garmin eTrex H). I'm getting pretty good at downloading waypoints from this website (I also ordered the USB cable), but I'm wondering if the elevation is necessary to maximize the accuracy of the GOTO feature. I have to manually enter an estimate of the elevation (from a map) for each waypoint. This is very time consuming.

Does the elevation really matter when finding geocaches?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Do not enter the elevation. no need to. no one does. the examples sorta given above are not relavent to what you are asking

No, but it's fun to watch when you're in an airplane!

There's nothing quite like seeing an altitude reading of 35,000+ feet and a speed of around 535 MPH! "YeeHaw, I can fly like Superman!" Of course, you'll get those occasional stares from passengers or flight attendants who have never seen or used a hand-held GPSr. :anitongue: