People who take Travel Bugs and dont log them out! ARGGH!

CluelessTwo

Hi All

We are fairly new to this but it hasnt taken long to get frustrated at visiting cache sites to pick up travel bugs (to help them on their way) and find they have been removed prior to our being there and not logged.

We went to one today and found that not even 1 of the 3 travel bugs are actually in the cache. Nor is the Geocoin that was supposed to be there.

Cant help feeling cheated cause we were so excited about helping the TBs achieve their mission. Now they are goine without trace.

Should I contact the owner? Is there any way of getting them listed as missing or not in the actual cache. The only way I can think of is if we logged them out ourselves but if we did that they surely it would look like we had them (which we obviously dont).

Clueless Two :)

Both the cache and the bug owner have the ability to mark it as missing. Whenever you come across a cache with missing bugs just mention it in your cache log. That gives information to the cache and bug owners that they may need to move it out of the cache listing. Sometimes people even post a note on the bug page that the bug wasn't seen in the cache. If the bug was dropped of in the last couple months it may be missing or it may have just been picked up and not yet logged. It takes a little research to determine if it's been missing for a while and needs to be removed.

For a better chance of finding an active bug check the bug log and see if it was recently dropped. If it's been sitting there for six month and there have been plenty of recent cache visits it's likely missing.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thanks Blueduece

I have mentioned that the TBs were missing in my online cache log, so Im assuming that the cache owner will know about it now. Does the bug owner get a copy of the cache logs for which their bugs are listed as being in? Or just the cache owner?

Clueless 2 :)

Just the cache owner. If the bug was dropped recently it may be unnecessary information to alert the bug owner that you didn't see it. If I don't hear from my bug in a couple three months I might go check the cache logs to see if someone mentioned picking it up or that it's missing.

It kind of depends of how much effort people are willing to put into it. I know a cache owner who says bugs are not his problem and he's not going to take the time to verify if the bug is in the cache or remove it from the cache listing. It's best to just note what you see. If you wish, check to see if the bug has been sitting there for months and maybe post something on the bug page. If after a few weeks if the bug is still sitting there you can contact a local reviewer to move it or Eartha the TB forum Mod.

Thanks for your help on this.

I noticed that people are selling trackables on ebay. Some of them are just one of the dog tags. Am I crazy for thinking that muggles could of nicked them and sold them on and thats why there are so many in the cache according to the logs? Theres supposed to be 3 there and none of them are.

Thanks so much, you have been brilliant.

Claire xx

Thanks for the compliment but I think it's more experience than brilliance. :blink:

Buying and selling travelers on Ebay is a whole different issue. Coins maybe but definitely not TBs. I'd have to see the listing before I'd believe someone is selling them cheaper than Groundspeak.

Check here first before buying a pre-assembled bug offline.

It's best to just note what you see. If you wish, check to see if the bug has been sitting there for months and maybe post something on the bug page. If after a few weeks if the bug is still sitting there you can contact a local reviewer to move it or Eartha the TB forum Mod.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could only post a note on a bug page if you had the tracking number. If I notice a bug that is not in a cache, and looks like it was dropped a while ago, I usually note it in my log for the cache, then email the owner, since he doesn't get a notification on the logs of the cache listing.

It's best to just note what you see. If you wish, check to see if the bug has been sitting there for months and maybe post something on the bug page. If after a few weeks if the bug is still sitting there you can contact a local reviewer to move it or Eartha the TB forum Mod.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could only post a note on a bug page if you had the tracking number. If I notice a bug that is not in a cache, and looks like it was dropped a while ago, I usually note it in my log for the cache, then email the owner, since he doesn't get a notification on the logs of the cache listing.

Anyone can post a Note, you don't need the tracking number. If you have the tracking number you could Retrieve or Discover the bug.

If a bug is sitting in a cache the cache owner does have the ability to mark it as missing which removes it from the cache page listing and moves it to an unknown location, but only when it is in their cache.

The bug owner could mark it as missing at any time as could a Groundspeak volunteer.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thanks for the information, Blue Deuce. I wasn't aware that you could post a note without the tracking number (when you log a note, there is a space to insert the tracking number, and I assumed that you had to have it to write a note).

I'll start using this option instead of emailing the bug owner.

I agree with all of you about logging, but you may not have taken something into consideration.

I go camping in State parks quite a bit, and most have no internet connections. I also love to Geocache while I am camping (part of the reason I like to camp). So there are times it takes a few days for me to get back to log in the caches and logs and TB's. I have found that I have even dropped off TB's and had them found before I could get back to log them in (happened recently to me! ;) )

I too like to find TB's, but due to a lot of Geocachers traveling around and carrying TB's with them until they can get it all logged in, I don't count on a cache having any. That way it becomes an added extra! :anicute: