Four months and 230+ caches later..

I've been Geocaching for around four months now and have found over 230 caches and I thought I'd share some thoughts and ask some questions, hope you don't mind :)

Geocaching has got me out and about far more often than I used to - I've always enjoyed walking but now there's a goal, a reason to be in a particular place and even a way of keeping "score". Whereas I used to gaze at a map and design a random walk of a particular length and then walk it, I now download all the LOC files from an area and join them up via paths - makes deciding where to go far easier <_< Searching for caches has taken me to places I never knew existed, some beautiful, others strewn with litter and fly-tipped but all interesting and new. Some caches have been incredibly clever, many are 35mm containers under a stone and some are just plain funny - micros in plastic hedgehogs, full-blown wooden treasure chests. Some you can spot from afar, others take a long search but all give that satisfying "Yes!" moment as you find them and sign the log.

As you can tell - I'm hooked!

So, the questions if I may:

What's your technique for caching in a busy, "muggly", location like a high street or outside a tube station?

What time to people like to cache? I prefer early morning, when it's quiet and gently warming up.

What's the "best" or favourite cache in the South East?

I have more but that'll do for now :yikes:

So - thanks to everyone for placing caches, TFTC really doesn't do them justice!

Hi,

An answer to one of your questions -the best cache in the South East.

We haven't done many caches in the south but we visit there fairly frequently so hope to do more.

Our best cache so far was in Kent - Tom's Treasure Chest. This was combined with the Hucking Ramble which gave a good walk and finding Tom's TC was the highlight. It just epitomised what treasure hunting is all about.

If this is in your area you really should give it a go.

Karon

Hi jrknight45

like you I am hooked on this sport since 05/07 (my brothers fault - got to blame someone) and I love it. Regardless of where I travel I always make sure there is at least one Cache on the route I take or in the area where I will be staying. I like Caching early in the morning like you. I start work at 07:00 which means I am up at 04:30. Being up so early also has its benifits - you can bag FTF's :). This I like because you are the first to have a go at someones new Cache without others telling you how good it is. David

Hi glad you are enjoying your new hobby/obsession.

in my opinion the best cache in my area is " Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Mr Hitler ?"

Mostly because of its history.

my tips for high muggle areas are to use distraction, learn to tie your laces without looking at them so you can crouch and look for containers or keep a few coins wrapped in a hanky in your pocket which you can drop and then collect back up from under benches etc.

Also the use of Hi Viz jackets or vests can be very helpful along with a clipboard or note book, nobody ever looks twice at some one in hi viz (sort of ruins the point really) and as long as the rest of the attire is not bad it make you look as if your checking on some thing for health a safety or council. Shorts and sandals with hi viz doesnt work, but trouser and shoes does.

As for time of day, early or late gets the wildlife. But any time can be caching time! or all the time!

Your next challenge and or thrill will come from setting caches, if you set good caches the feed back from other cachers is great and gives you a real sense of achievement. This also allows you to keep contact with the sport when the weather or other factors keeps you in, as you can read the logs of those that have discovered you caches. It also helps to perpetuate the game.

Happy hunting

Peter

What's your technique for caching in a busy, "muggly", location like a high street or outside a tube station?

Get a pushbike, you can lean it up against a fence/wall/bench and start fiddling with the chain and no-one will give you a second glance.

What time to people like to cache? I prefer early morning, when it's quiet and gently warming up.

Got to be early morning on a frosty day, when the puddles are still frozen, but the sun's just up and starting to warm your back, then plan a route so that you're just passing the country pub at lunchtime :)

Hi - you seem to have started a little after me and have had similar experiences.

I have a fairly unaffected approach to high muggle areas - the more the better in a way because I can just get on with the job at hand and if you appear confident, nobody cares what you're doing (within reason!). It's the furtive looking that can draw attention, but it's a case of being mega alert and not drawing attentiont to yourself.

My favourite time to cache is about 6-7pm, after work, when everyone else appears to be having their tea! I've found a good chunk of my caches at this time where even very popular places seem to be nigh-on deserted. Another good time if you can bear it is when the weather is bad. Other people don't tend to go out in the poorer elements, so you can have the place to youself then. However, writing logs in the rain is not always the easiest.

:unsure:

We started late Jan/Early Feb and have a bunch now. Not cached in your area as we are in the Midlands.

Mr_Rat decided that this would be a great hobby. Mrs_Rat thought that he was a right saddo and went along to exercise the dogs. Now both us Rats are hooked as hooked can be.

Best/ Fave cache so far was Alchemy Quest - Mercury. The walk was fab in the nice cool weather :)

Anti muggle tactics are generally: look like you belong there, shoelace tying, fiddling with the bikes, emergency picnics and wandering off and coming back again a few mins later (cache in hand). We've tried the hi-vis and clipboard thing in built up areas too.

Happy caching.

I've been caching since the new year and have nearly done 300 caches. I've managed to rope in friends and family and they have all been bitten by the bug as well. It is getting a bit competitve!

I think my best cache so far is Arachnophobia near Hollingbourne, one of the first ones I did.

Edited by Topsy's Team

published caches

Lost 2 colleagues :sad:

Published caches

Gained a Colleague

published caches

Attended the UK's First Mega

published caches

Gained another Colleague

published caches

Became the proud owner of a Cilt [yes spelling is correct :yikes: it's Welsh]

published caches

Attended Gathering in The Glens

published caches

Meet Father Christmas at a cache event [well we passed each other at the event :D ]

Sat outside McD's until 9pm Christmas Eve publishing caches :yikes: [away from home and couldn't get a stable connection on my Mobile internet dongle]

published caches

Found Europe's First Cache, with Friends [Priceless :ph34r: ]

Attended a event in Ireland to meet one of the Lackeys

Walked over 5 miles just before catching the ferry home to find 4 caches around the harbour [my legs paid the price for that :yikes: ]

published caches

Gained another Colleague

yet to come

Attend the the UK's Second Mega

At the same time meet another Lackey B)

Oh and continue publishing caches :) and maybe even con persuade someone else to join the UK Reviewer Team [well I can dream :):( ]

in conclusion: Deceangi as expected has provided customer service to a high standard. And has achieved a high productivity level.

Overall Scoring: 2.5/4 [using the scaling from my last employer many, many years ago :angry: ]

:angry:

I've been Geocaching for around four months now and have found over 230 caches and I thought I'd share some thoughts and ask some questions, hope you don't mind :D

Geocaching has got me out and about far more often than I used to - I've always enjoyed walking but now there's a goal, a reason to be in a particular place and even a way of keeping "score". Whereas I used to gaze at a map and design a random walk of a particular length and then walk it, I now download all the LOC files from an area and join them up via paths - makes deciding where to go far easier :D Searching for caches has taken me to places I never knew existed, some beautiful, others strewn with litter and fly-tipped but all interesting and new. Some caches have been incredibly clever, many are 35mm containers under a stone and some are just plain funny - micros in plastic hedgehogs, full-blown wooden treasure chests. Some you can spot from afar, others take a long search but all give that satisfying "Yes!" moment as you find them and sign the log.

As you can tell - I'm hooked!

So, the questions if I may:

What's the "best" or favourite cache in the South East?

I have more but that'll do for now :laughing:

So - thanks to everyone for placing caches, TFTC really doesn't do them justice!

>>What's your technique for caching in a busy, "muggly", location like a high street or outside a tube station?

Dunno, what's a tube station? If it's one of those underground things way down in Londonshire, how do you get a GPS gignal down there anyway?

If looking properly is a problem, come back with dogs and small children to create a distraction. Or, if it's one that needs an abseil*/thorough poke in a rather public location, come back with a white van and if questioned grouse loudly about not being paid enough.

>>What time to people like to cache?

Between work and bed? Or, at weekends, between rain and climbing.

*NB: Remember that Rope Access types have two of everytheing.

(Edited to remove smiley which message board software insists as trying to re inerpret as something compeletely opposite. .)

Edited by Harry the furry squid